<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Thewlis Griffith or Tower Nipper/Handcuff

November 9 2017 at 1:19 PM
Mark Lyons  (no login)

[linked image]

Hi all,
I am very pleased to have won the above item.

The seller believes it was used by Irish Constabulary around 1890.
It was believed to be made by Thewlis Griffith.

The below pic is in the Gallery at this site but it is listed as a Tower

[linked image]

Does anyone have any further information about these?
As far as I know, this might be the 4th one that I have seen picture of.

Incidentally, one sold on eBay in 2013 for almost 3 times what the going rate was on mine. Feeling lucky!
The Pratt Combo cuff is the closest thing I have seen to these as it could be used as a nipper or a cuff.
I don't believe I know of any other combo cuffs ever made.

I do not have them yet but I find it interesting that they can be snapped shut but enough force to release them is not exactly possible so the key is necessary to separate the 2 halves.

Mark
O--O

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

Re: Thewlis Griffith or Tower Nipper/Handcuff

November 9 2017, 2:36 PM 

Great addition to the collection, Mark! I would love to see these up close. I was in on the auction for a bit, but it got a little too rich for my blood. You did grab these at a great price though! Congrats, my friend. Very cool piece!
-Richard Knip-

Paul Davies
(no login)

November 9 2017, 8:34 PM 

I've seen no evidence to suggest they were made by T&G and especially not Tower. Since one pair is stamped Hiatt, it is based on an English design and found in England, I'd assume English. But, since I have an American designed nipper stamped Hiatt, it is hard to be 100% positive. Paul

Mark
(no login)

November 9 2017, 10:16 PM 

Thanks Paul
I am not aware of one of these marked “Hiatt “

Might you be the fortunate one?

Mark
O—O

Paul Davies
(no login)

November 10 2017, 2:28 AM 

The one from the gallery you posted is marked Hiatt - so not a Tower. Regards

Paul supporter
(no login)

November 10 2017, 4:30 AM 

touche

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

November 10 2017, 11:44 AM 

Sorry Mark. My listing had Hiatt correct in the title, but somehow Tower made it into the text. I have correct the error now.

There is an example of one of these made by Thewlis Griffith, but it is not clear who made them. Did Thewlis Griffith make one for Hiatt or did Hiatt make one for Thewlis Griffith.

I have a conventional Thewlis Griffith nipper. I don't know who made it.

My locking nipper is very difficult to use. The screw as to be turned in many turns for it to open and it is very difficult to close the thing. I think it would have been nearly impossible to use it in the field. I am not surprised that they wer never widely used.

Joe

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 10 2017, 2:56 PM 

Paul,

Thanks for pointing out the "Hiatt" marking on this unusual item.
I simply did not zoom in on it enough.

Joe,

I was questioning the "Tower" connection with this item but had to ask if indeed an error reared its ugly head in your gallery.
Do you have a picture of one of these with "Thewlis Griffith" markings?
I would like to see this.

Is it known if Thewlis Griffith was an actual manufacturer or did they merely private label their wares?

Mark
O--O

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

November 10 2017, 7:19 PM 

Mark
Sorry, I do not have a picture. I am just working off memory. I think I am remembering a cuff sold on eBay many years ago.
It was the first time I ever saw a nipper of this style.

I think Thewlis & Griffith may have been a real manufacturer, but I have no idea what they actually made.
There is a copy of an advertisement for a conventional Thewlis & Griffith nipper in the Alex Nichols book.

Joe

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

November 10 2017, 7:32 PM 

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

November 10 2017, 7:39 PM 

Richard
Good catch. I had forgot about that nipper from four years ago. The one I have been thinking about was much earlier, like in 2002 or so. I also remember bidding on this 2013 example and loosing out.
Joe

Paul Davies
(no login)

November 10 2017, 8:05 PM 

Thewlis & Griffith were a real manufacturer of a "Nipper" type restraint and the last one, shown above, could have been made by them or just sold by them, it is hard to tell and hard to see the stamp. This last one seems older and unrefined. All of them are different in some way, looking at the thickness and profile of the bows and where they meet the hinge. T&G of Warrington are mainly known for precision tools and instruments. If anyone has one marked T&G, I'd love to see it. Paul

Ron Spitz
(no login)

November 12 2017, 2:45 PM 

Mark,

Mine is marked THEWLIS & GRIFFITH on one side of the center hinged area. On the other side it is marked WARRINGTON and the marks C c I the center c being lower case and higher than the C and I.

Ron

Michael Busch
(no login)

November 12 2017, 4:19 PM 

Hi everyone,

I found a similar piece in 2015. It has no markings but some leather to prevent the skin from being hurt. Please see here:

https://scontent.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11425408_10207469848330758_4747601180679739663_n.jpg?oh=c74f916028ce9d602d85889fb860626b&oe=5AAF695B

Paul Davies
(no login)

November 12 2017, 6:33 PM 

Thanks Guys.
Ron, I assume yours is the one 3 posts up which shows CcI and Warrington? - hard to read. Therefor it must have the T&G stamp on the other side. I have their more common nipper marked Thewlis & Co. I think the ones in question are earlier. Shaw Thewlis and Peter Griffith founded the business about 1838. Thewlis died in 1885 and was originally a file maker from Huddersfield, Yorkshire, born 1813.

Thewlis and Griffith are listed in directories in 1841 and 1869 in Mersey Street, Warrington. Later in 1921 and 1924 they are called Thewlis, Griffith & Edelsten Ltd, Mersey Street. On the more modern? nippers with the round hinge, Thewlis & Co, as a company name is harder to trace. I can only find a wholesale clothes manufacturer with that name.
Paul

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 12 2017, 7:48 PM 

Ron, Can you post a pic of the markings?
You can send to me privately if you don't wish it public and/or I can post it here if you have trouble posting pics.
Is your cuff from the auction site posted above? If not, I would like to see your key as I am thinking that Hiatt made their key differently than T&G.

Michael, do you have an original key with yours? If so, I would like to see it as well
PS I owe you a phone call or skype as you asked me to get hold of you a while back.

I am trying to gauge how many of these seem to be out there. It seems that 5 or 6 are accounted for.

My seller believes mine is a T&G but I should be able to scrutinize it better hopefully this week.

Mark
O--O

Ron Spitz
(no login)

November 13 2017, 12:10 PM 

Sorry I posted my pictures in a new post which is untitled. I meant to post them here.

Ron

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 13 2017, 1:01 PM 

I reposted Ron's 3 pics here to make research in the future easier as this blog now contains the majority of the known combo cuffs.

Yours is a very nice example and it features yet another key variation.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Thanks for posting your pics...Hope to be a fellow member of the Thewlis Club this week

Mark
O--O

Ron Spitz
(no login)

November 13 2017, 2:25 PM 

Thanks Mark for moving the pics to this thread. Maybe Joe can delete the untitled post.

Ron

Paul Davies
(no login)

November 13 2017, 5:52 PM 

Ron's is different from the others in a couple of ways. The bows are flatter where it meets the hinge ie not a proper oval and instead of a leather guard like Michael's, the hinge has been rounded off to avoid pinching the skin. Nice.
The key is so simple that almost any key could be used if a correct thread is cut.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index