<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Mark Lyons
(no login)

Re: Thewlis Griffith or Tower Nipper/Handcuff

November 13 2017, 6:12 PM 

I reposted Michael's Nipper to make it easy to make comparisons.
It would be nice to see a pic of his key if it seems that it could be an original.

It would be interesting if the pitch is the same on all of these examples.
I realize that almost any key from the era could have been used by cutting off the end and cut the correct thread with the appropriate die.
I was hoping that some of these keys were identical with each other to indicate manufacturer.

My cuff will be arriving in todays mail so I will look for any markings on it.

[linked image]
Photo by Michael Busch

mark
O--O

wiki
(no login)

TPI or Pitch

November 13 2017, 8:25 PM 

Metric fasteners are specified with a thread pitch instead of a thread count. The thread pitch is the distance between threads expressed in millimeters (measured along the length of the fastener). For example a thread pitch of 1.5 means that the distance between one thread and the next is 1.5mm.

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

November 15 2017, 2:54 PM 

Here is a picture of another example from Gordon Gluff.

[linked image]

Chris Gower
(no login)

T. Llewellyn

November 15 2017, 4:07 PM 

Really strange, a few years back I bought a very well presented glass case containing a Lockable Grip. It turned out to be an extremely well made cast resin copy marked T.Llewellyn 1839 which is identical to the one just posted and in the Gordon Gluff collection. Photo to follow, I can not find any info. on this company. Perhaps Paul can shed some light?

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

November 15 2017, 6:21 PM 

Here is Chris's picture. It sure looks like a casting of the same nipper.

[linked image]

Paul Davies
(no login)

November 15 2017, 6:50 PM 

Cannot find a company called T Llewellyn. It may just be a personalized cuff. Hiatt were known to stamp Parish or owners names on cuffs during production in very large letters. The T Llewellyn name looks like a single stamping, if not engraved, and the number is more ad hoc, with different sized numbers and bad spacing. Usually a name and a date on a cuff meant it was part of a government order for Military or Civilian use (M&C) but I think 1839, if it is a date, is too early to be that and you'd expect to find more of them. The key head looks too perfect to be original, but I do not know for sure. Paul

Gordon
(no login)

Nipper / Handcuff

November 15 2017, 7:29 PM 

It is my assumption that the name is that of the constable. The name is engraved on both sides, not stamped.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index