<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Union Spike Clog

November 10 2017 at 5:37 PM
Mike  (no login)

Hello All,

About 40 years ago I swapped a pair of Lilly Leg Irons for a Union Spiked Clog. I'm wondering who got the better deal?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

Re: Union Spike Clog

November 10 2017, 7:40 PM 

Mike
If it was just an "average" pair of Towers, you got the better deal.
Joe

Spencer
(no login)

November 10 2017, 9:12 PM 

Would you happen to know if the lock and key pictured are original to the clog? Old advertisements for this item read that it was available with or without a padlock and even though those old pen and ink drawings are short on detail they appear to feature a lock that looks like yours. thanks in advance

Mike
(no login)

November 10 2017, 10:52 PM 

Hi - I actually uploaded that photo for my 89 year old grandfather. He traded Lilly Leg Irons for it 40 years ago he said and for some reason asked me if I could post the photo for him to see if he made the right choice...He had two pairs of Lilly Leg Irons at the time which is why he did the trade. I did take a photo of the lock as well. I didn't ask if it was the original lock but he did say he thinks the key is original to the lock. Below is a up close photo of that lock.

[linked image]

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

November 10 2017, 11:08 PM 

There are a handful of those locks on Ebay. I had a guy try to sell me one a few years back. He referred to it as a "Scandinavian Padlock." Most of these sale ads on Ebay tend to agree. Not sure if it was original to the cog or made after the cog was? They do seem to have been used within the prison system, though. This sale ad also has a matching key to yours.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brass-2-Scandinavian-Style-Padlock-Key/112625604769?hash=item1a390258a1:g:Kb4AAOSwcj1Z-eef

-Richard Knip-

Happy Guest
(no login)

Time period Scandinavian padlock

November 11 2017, 1:28 AM 

This is the after Civil War period style of Scandinavian padlock

s-l1600.jpg

The earliest Star brand / later bought out by Climax has the shackle that comes right out of the lock body.

good luck.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index