<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Chris Gower
(no login)

Burdick LI

December 13 2017, 7:40 AM 

Been looking up some old notes, found a picture of the set Nick Stone had. They were a figure 8 type and almost certainly a one off factory model. Seemed they were used for hangings. Notes show that Stan bought his LI from George and Frank Hill in 1978, so I guess the set you have Mark are the same ones. I have a photo from Don Hinz showing both the Handcuffs and LI dated 1978 and asking which is rarer, I think these are another set to the ones Stan got and it is just a coincidence the dates are both 1978.
Found an article written on Nick Stone, he was born Nicholas Cherniak in Poland in 1913, he moved with his family to the US when he was 12, he married Betty and they had two children and 4 grandchildren. Nick spoke and wrote 6 languages, he lived in Ohio and his collection of locks and restraints weighed 3 tons!!
I know that he suffered from two heart attacks and I think the last I heard of him was in about 1988, perhaps Barbara you could fill us in with more details. I understand that he wrote a couple of books, I have not seen these and would be interested to hear if there are illustrations of his handcuffs.
Chris

Lars Holst
(Login holstcollection)

Re: Burdick leg irons?

December 13 2017, 9:48 AM 

Interesting information Chris. Then I must have the handcuffs on the photo as they too came from Stan.
The key is not an original though.

Lars

[linked image]

Nicksdaughter
(Login Nicksdaughter)

December 13 2017, 7:46 PM 

Hello Chris,
Thank you so much for the information you shared and the photo.
He did write a book on his collection in 1982. We do have photos of his collection that were taken for the book and for a second edition he was working on. My brother picked up the entire collection and the contents of his home in 1991. My brother did sell most of the restraints from 1992 though 2015. I have a few of his restraints and about 1 and a half tons of his collection now.

My Father was actually born in 1912 but he often said 1913. Its a strange little story of leaving Russia during the revolution and being afraid of giving factual identifying information on yourself or family members or on anyone fleeing the Bolsheviks. They left their home and traveled through several countries departing for the US from Germany. His mother, brother and my father arrived in the US in 1923 when he was 11 years old. He spoke 9 languages for quite a while of his life but at the time of his death spoke 6 fairly well.
In 1984 He had 2 stokes but recovered very well. He died in Oct 1990 of a heart attack.
He was good friends with Thurston, friends with Harry Blackstone Sr and many other well known Escapologists and Magicians. He was a very good friend of Horace Marshall and one of the very very few people allowed in Marshall's workshop. He stopped doing Magic shows in the early 70's and did escape work until around 1982. A little known fact from early in his career, he wrote a weekly column on Magic for the Akron Beacon Journal. I have his last column. I have heard from so many people in the past month who knew him, have his book, saw his collection or saw him perform. It's been heat warming. Just by Coincidence I was reading here for the first time and saw your comments about him and his collection.

Gordon
(no login)

Nick Stone and Burdick leg-iron

December 15 2017, 2:56 AM 

My first lock show that I attended was in ~ 1979. It was called the Midwest Show. I remember
seeing Nick Stone there. Someone pointed him out to me and said he was an old time escape artist.
I have somewhere a newspaper article about him.
My Burdick leg-iron came from the Prynce Wheeler collection. For a long time there was only
3 known in collections.

Nicksdaughter
(Login Nicksdaughter)

December 15 2017, 10:57 AM 

Gordon,
Evidently there are more of the burdicks than originally known or so it seems to be the case.

One thing I would like to mention is that my father did not use any of his own locks or restraints in his Escapology. He was always bound by outsiders, police officers, and other professionals with restraints , ropes, chains and locks supplied by outsiders unknown to him. He did not examine these items before they were used. He felt it gave him more authenticity and credibility as an Escapologist than others in the same field. Also the Performing part of his life was his financial income. His work. Although he liked the worked and the recognition and promotion it provided it was not what he loved. He did LOVE restraints, locks, keys and his collection. He was fascinated very early in life by the mechanisms, the purposes, designs and the evolution of all of the devices. In his last interview for the Beacon Journal in 1988 his statement was that collecting has been his life and in his later years his collection was a big reason for living. Searching for the next unique or rare addition and sharing with others who had the same passion kept him going.

houdini's spirit
(no login)

December 15 2017, 11:41 PM 

some of the collectors here are escape artists or, personally know escape artists. Also by association with the hobby of handcuffs most of the people here are well aware of all the methods, techniques and claims of escapes artists. Each claim to be different and better from all the others escape artists. we know, nudge nudge wink wink.

Nick's Daughter
(Login Nicksdaughter)

December 16 2017, 7:35 PM 

"Houdini's Spirit"

I did not mean to discredit any one or their methods or "secrets" to be sure. This was my father's feelings about his own work. He absolutely respected, admired and even honored many of his predecessors and his peers as well as their techniques. It is all impressive and individual. His ideas were only things he felt would serve him well in his profession and things he chose to incorporate. Me I can't escape a paper bag and the only thing I can make disappear is my pay check. So my hat goes off to all of them and you.

Mark Lyons
(no login)

Repost from Vince's research

January 11 2018, 12:09 PM 

I'm not sure if anyone ever seen this info, but... here it is anyway

This was copied from a builders hardware magazine called "Iron Age". It was a sort of trade publication from the early 1900's. The exact date of this was from issue number 75 on March 2nd 1905.

"The Burdick Handcuff Company. Sault Ste. Marie. Mich. has incorporated to manufacture the Burdick patent combined handcuff and comealong, leg irons and gang chains. The company is capitalized at $5000. The following being its officers: President. C.W. Given ; vice-president. C.W. Baldwin ; treasurer. J.C. Barnhisel ; secretary and manager. N.A. Burdick. Arrangements have been made with the Globe Machine Stamping Company. Cleveland, Ohio, to manufacture the cuffs. and it is expected that they will be placed on the market within the next 90 days."

I have reason to believe through other research, that the Globe company was a supplier of handcuff parts if not complete manufactured cuffs for numerous handcuff companies during the turn of the century. I shall continue my research, and share any useful info I discover.

--Vince

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>