<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Burdick leg irons?

November 24 2017 at 7:02 PM
Mike  (no login)

I'm trying to figure out what these things are and their possible value. They seem to be too big to be handcuffs (they slip right off my wrists), but I also have read the Burdick leg irons are kinda rare? The 2nd picture has the constant/lighting adjusted so you can see the engraving better.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

Nice find!

November 24 2017, 8:16 PM 

Very cool! They do look like the rare Burdick Leg irons to me. I am not aware of them ever making an "oversize" cuff version?
-Richard Knip-

banker
(no login)

Re: Burdick leg irons?

November 24 2017, 8:27 PM 

$1500 plus

Interested
(no login)

November 24 2017, 9:56 PM 

If you're considering selling them please put them on eBay so we will all have a fair chance and you can get the most money for them

Interested 2
(no login)

November 24 2017, 10:20 PM 

Start the bidding at $1500.

Anonymous
(no login)

November 24 2017, 11:57 PM 

They don't look "right" to me ............ I thought that Burdicks had a circular key, at least the few I've seen!

See following links:

Lars Holst:

http://restraintsblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/rare-burdick-chain-handcuffs-and-leg.html

Handcuffs.Org

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/thread/1233409070/Recent+Auctions

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

November 25 2017, 12:05 AM 

The handcuff folder on the main page of this site shows a Burdick Chain Cuff with the above key. This and the round are the only two versions I have ever seen.
-RK-

Nils
(no login)

November 25 2017, 3:46 AM 

Cool cuffs.

I'm also interested how you hosted the images, because that has been a problem lately. It seems "tinypic.com" is also a photobucket company!

┬ę 2004-2017 TinyPic┬«, a Photobucket Video & Photo Sharing Company

About Terms Legal & Privacy Help?

Mike
(Login mikepel)

November 26 2017, 7:57 PM 

Hi all,

I made an 'official' account I think. These aren't for sale. I was just trying to see if indeed they were the Burdick leg irons. I tried to find the patent on Google's patent search but I can't find any for leg irons, generally do the handcuff patents cover both the hand cuff and leg iron version? (I'm quite new to this whole handcuff world)

Also, as far as hosting the image I uploaded it to Tinypic and then clicked view image full size and then I right clicked on it and selected 'copy image source' (this is in Google Chrome, I don't think Internet Explorer has that option). That will copy the exact image location. You should note: most site use HTTPS and HTTPS doesn't automatically post in-line on these forums so you'll need to remove the S for it to post.

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 27 2017, 4:32 PM 

Here is a pic of my Burdick Leg Irons which look identical to the pair above.
I believe my key is an original.

[linked image]

mark
O-------O

Mark Lyons
(no login)

Maybe not identical after all

November 27 2017, 4:59 PM 

In my pair, there are 22 link between the leg chain and on the above example, there are about 33 links.
Mine has about 9 links on each side of the leg chain and about 13 or more on the other set.

If a side by side comparison was made, mine would be smaller.
It is hard to see in the original phot but I believe I am seeing round links which join the segments of the chain together and at the lock cases.
My leg iron uses just the twisted link chain without the rings.

I have not seen any other examples of Burdick Irons besides mine so I don't really know if the company used a standard when manufacturing these or not.

mark
O---O

Chris Gower
(no login)

Burdick LI

November 29 2017, 5:59 AM 

Very nice photos of the Burdick LI. The only example I knew of many years ago was in the collection of Nick Stone a collector and escapologist. Guess your pair Mark may be the same ones? The Burdick Handcuffs are very rare do we know how many exist in collections. I do have a pair with original key and original lead handle. I do not know of any other examples in the UK.
Chris

Ron Spitz
(no login)

November 29 2017, 11:08 AM 

I have the cuffs with original handle, but I don't know it the key is original.

Ron

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 29 2017, 6:39 PM 

[linked image]

Happy Guest
(no login)

Great Post ...........

November 30 2017, 3:40 PM 

Great pics along with great post ....

Thanks posters !

Mike
(Login mikepel)

November 30 2017, 9:13 PM 

Here is a picture of the original photo (you can scroll to zoom in a bit)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wmPLo0jx2qTCg4SmW8Z72msl7-s_POoC_w/view?usp=sharing

Nicksdaughter
(Login Nicksdaughter)

Nick Stone

December 8 2017, 12:13 AM 

Chris,
Nick Stone was my father. He had a wonderful collection of restraints including the Burdick cuffs.I currently have 4000 pieces of his lock and key collection and several of his restraints. He was a true pioneer in the lock, key and restraint collectors field.
As you mentioned he was an Escape artist, well known to hundreds of thousands. He beat Houdini's record for the straight jacket and most of Nicks underwater escapes took him only 23 seconds! The longest was when he got trapped in seaweed and could not surface for over 2 minutes.
I was happy to see him remembered for his collection and his Art all these years later here on this forum.

Thank you!

Mark Lyons
(no login)

December 8 2017, 12:42 PM 

Nicksdaughter,

Do you know if your 4000 item collection still has the Burdick Leg Iron in it as shown above?

I am not aware of any special provenance pertaining to the one I own, but as Chris points out, these are quite rare and a slight possibility exists that mine may have once belonged to your dad, if indeed this restraint is no longer in your collection.

If so, this would be quite an honor for me but unless you had a detailed picture from your dad, it would be almost impossible to prove that mine was once in his collection.

mark
O----O

Barbara
(Login Nicksdaughter)

Nicks collectio

December 8 2017, 1:32 PM 

Hello Mark,
We have photographs in some form of all of my father's collection. His locks are in his book. We have most of his keys. The Burdicks were sold by my brother along with many really unique restraints. We do have a log of the most of items my brother sold and to whom. It is possible we have the paper work or photos to link the items to the new collectors. Can you tell me where you got yours and what year? You can e mail me at barbs@neo.rr.com.
Thank you for considering it an honor to own a piece of his collection. He was a remarkable man, a very talented Escape Artist and Magician. We have hundreds of articles, contracts, photos and letters about his career. A true collector of all things that locked, restrained and anything connected to those items.
As I said before it is nice to see he is still remembered in some way today by other people who share his passion and appreciated his work.

Mark Lyons
(no login)

December 9 2017, 2:22 PM 

Barbara,

It is a pleasure talking with you here.
I did not know the lineage of my Burdick Leg Irons before now but I bought them about 7 or 8 years ago from a collector who got them from the famous George Hill Collection in 1978.

The fellow I bought them from stated to me that the timing of the sales would make it virtually impossible that this item was originally part of your father's collection.

If you see any reference to George Hill in your records about this item, please let me know but I really don't think my leg iron was ever in your dads possession.

I was also told that unless any other leg irons surface, there are only 3 or 4 known to exist.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mark
O--O

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index