<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

What chain model defends against the double link flaw?

December 12 2017 at 12:39 PM
x3RF2E  (no login)

Most know double link engineering is flawed. I have reviewed all the major double link chain handcuffs and the only one I find that may not succumb to chain binding are the models with a long insert that enter into the frame of the cuff which the chain attaches to. This may make chain binding a little more difficult (Hiatts vs. Smith Wesson for example)

Some have mentioned a single link chain but I can not find any modern traditional designs with a single link or single ring chain. They are all international and look pretty bad by the rest of their design. Perhaps someone can link to some models?

Others have mentioned a triple link chain to prevent the binding but those probably allow too much free range to offer any real security.

Yes I know straight bar and hinged solve this problem but that isn't the focus of this post. Some of us use chain for liability, especially security companies that generally don't enjoy the same civil protections as government.

I continue to wonder why no manufacturer has addressed this problem with double link chain handcuffs. You can implement all the security measures you want to the reinforcement of the handcuff, the security of the key mechanism, etc. but if the chain can be ripped apart by your average John Doe, then clearly we are dealing with a serious safety issue that no one seems to care about including NIJ.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
police union
(no login)

Re: What chain model defends against the double link flaw?

December 12 2017, 6:54 PM 

no one is honestly interesting in officer safety. all the best cuffs are too expensive and police lives don't matter. money matters. what ever happen to Gotcha cuffs?

Nils
(no login)

December 13 2017, 1:56 AM 

Gotcha might have been great, if they hadn't taken my money for two pairs and a holster and run. So forgive me if I'm not a big fan.

Nils

Ian McColl
(no login)

December 13 2017, 3:29 AM 

I know what you mean Nils, American business's will stiff any way they can and do.

Rasberius
(no login)

December 13 2017, 6:53 AM 

Ralkem 9921 and 9924 chain link cuffs are single link.
[linked image]
[linked image]

Tremex
(no login)

December 13 2017, 4:25 PM 

x3RF2E
(no login)

December 14 2017, 6:13 AM 

TuffKuffs were interesting but it looks like the concept was unsuccessful. Their swivel and pivot design is interesting but is probably a guaranteed liability to any governmental or private sector operator.

I think it's time for Peerless, Smith and Wesson, Hiatts, CTS, and ASP to accept the fact their chain designs are so easily defeated by any person with average dexterity, reasonable strength, and knowledge of this design flaw.

Some argue that behind the back handcuffing reduces the leverage needed to accomplish chain separation but that probably isn't true for everyone.

CTS implemented some decent security features with their Trimax models but more improvements are needed especially in the subject of chain design. I wish all of these product engineers and executives would wake up and understand their products have not been perfected.

SPD
(no login)

December 14 2017, 6:25 AM 

only when I see stats of chain breakage would I consider you comment worthy of any consideration. never heard of it in any police arrest, just a youtube party trick.

x3RF2E
(no login)

December 14 2017, 7:26 AM 

I am afraid you're wrong.

This flaw is not just a smoke and light show. Take a pair of your own handcuffs and swivel or mash the chain between the two handcuffs until it binds and locks into a position of resistance. Then use the leverage you just created and apply force towards the direction of resistance. In most cases, the chain will separate from either the swivel by snapping at the insert point or the links could fail.

Bonowi has models that address this problem but the chain nor hinged model are cheap. Knowledge of how restraints work is not common place. Your average handcuffed suspect is probably not aware of this fault. The fact remains this is a serious engineering flaw in almost all chain models. And it should probably be corrected sooner than later.

Joseph Fox
(no login)

December 14 2017, 12:10 PM 

Remember the "Trilock" CABLE Handcuffs? (Google for pics & info.).

....at least were thinking 'outside of the box'.

(The cuffs were connected by a short length of cable, instead of chain link(s).

DJ_halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

shroud

December 14 2017, 2:11 PM 

Maybe make a cuff with sometime of a slip cover/shroud out of a very strong, but flexible, material? Enough to keep the chain from being able to be bound up.
-Richard Knip-

to x3RF2E sbd by another name
(no login)

December 14 2017, 2:47 PM 

show me the stats on chain breakage by prisoners? there are none so the idea is moot. 100000's cuffs are made each year. 3 people killed by faulty airbags in cars and there is a world wide recall. you are barking up the wrong tree.

x3RF2E
(no login)

December 14 2017, 3:09 PM 

What do you mean show you the stats?
What agency or private sector company maintains stats on compromised handcuffs?

You want stats?
Practice on every pair you have. Then when they all break let us know. We'll keep track for you.

sbd 3RF2E
(no login)

December 14 2017, 3:31 PM 

chain breakage is not an issue. cops have guns to kill when a prisoner attempts an escape. bored now, NEXT

Piotr
(Login parabellum_pl)

December 14 2017, 7:24 PM 

This problem was discussed before and it was suggested that using circular chain links instead of the prolonged oval may be some kind of a solution. Not sure if the binding technique can be successfully used with the double swivel that was used in the Hiatts 1960.

I think that the hinged swivel in the Bonowi handcuffs can be defeated by binding the chains and snapping it to the side, more strength would be required, though.

Anonymous
(no login)

December 14 2017, 10:57 PM 

Double link flaw ............ Jeez! Even more of a flaw, is the "universal key"! And if that isn't enough of a flaw, a simple bobby pin is also a very effective "key"!

SBD
(Login silentbd)

December 17 2017, 12:39 PM 

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I was able to bind up my expensive 2 round chain link rivolier cuffs. I would dare not break them though, they are expensive, in terms of my non-spoken for funds capability.

Mark Lyons
(no login)

December 27 2017, 11:11 AM 

Civil Defense Supply in Lincoln England may have found a proper solution which seems to alleviate the problem expressed in this blog.

[linked image]

The small swivel only adds 3/4 inch to the distance between the two halves.

Mark
O--O

Piotr
(Login parabellum_pl)

January 15 2018, 1:11 PM 

I think that the H&R style swivel should be a simple solution to this problem and it offers more flexibility of movement than the one in Hiatts 1960 or CDS handcuffs.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>