<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Burdick info

January 11 2018 at 11:40 AM
Vince  (no login)

I'm not sure if anyone ever seen this info, but... here it is anyway

This was copied from a builders hardware magazine called "Iron Age". It was a sort of trade publication from the early 1900's. The exact date of this was from issue number 75 on March 2nd 1905.

"The Burdick Handcuff Company. Sault Ste. Marie. Mich. has incorporated to manufacture the Burdick patent combined handcuff and comealong, leg irons and gang chains. The company is capitalized at $5000. The following being its officers: President. C.W. Given ; vice-president. C.W. Baldwin ; treasurer. J.C. Barnhisel ; secretary and manager. N.A. Burdick. Arrangements have been made with the Globe Machine Stamping Company. Cleveland, Ohio, to manufacture the cuffs. and it is expected that they will be placed on the market within the next 90 days."

I have reason to believe through other research, that the Globe company was a supplier of handcuff parts if not complete manufactured cuffs for numerous handcuff companies during the turn of the century. I shall continue my research, and share any useful info I discover.

--Vince

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mark Lyons
(no login)

Re: Burdick info

January 11 2018, 12:17 PM 

Vince, that is some interesting info.
I was never aware of the fact that the company was located in Michigan. The city is pronounced "Soo Saint Marie" and Michiganders are the most likely to pronounce it properly.
I knew they shipped out of Ohio but I was unaware of Globe Manufacturing as well.
I took the liberty of reposting this to the very interesting blog about Burdick Leg Irons so future researchers will be able to gather all this Burdick info easier.
Do you have a photo or Xerox of that page?

mark
O--O

Vince
(no login)

Re: Burdick info

January 19 2018, 6:23 AM 

Hi Mark, I have found the above info by searching on Google by typing "globe handcuffs stamping co". When the results are displayed click on the top of the page under SEARCH TOOLS (MORE) and click BOOKS. The first item displayed should be the link to the Iron Age article. I must admit, I began my own research on trying to find the maker of the McKenzie mitts (no luck there yet). Concentrating on machine, stamping and tool / die companies which were located in the Rust Belt areas. The Globe company I found made parts (at least) for handcuffs but the Burdick name was the only cuff company directly associated with Globe.

--Vince

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>