<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

New Handcuff Queens Website

January 15 2018 at 2:49 PM
Gary Hunt  (Login gehunt)

I just started a new blog devoted to female escape artists during the Houdini era, www.handcuffqueens.com . The feature article is “Pauline Braham – The First Queen of Handcuffs.” She and her husband Lewis were the first ones to present what came to be known as a “handcuff challenge act.” Hope to add a couple of articles each month. So far, I have found around 60 performers. Sadly, there is very little information on most of them. Please let me know If have any information, photos, ephemera or the like on these amazing escape artists.

Gary Hunt

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mark Lyons
(no login)

Re: New Handcuff Queens Website

January 18 2018, 8:32 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]

DJ_halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

January 18 2018, 9:09 PM 

Only pic I have. Came from an earlier thread in this forum.
-Richard Knip-

h8I3SZKh.jpg

DJ_halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

January 18 2018, 9:24 PM 

Found this while browsing on Youtube. Not as old as the other examples...but still a female escape artist. Never heard of her, though. Needs some work on the escape technique. LOL!
-RK-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCURaI3oz9g

Joseph Fox
(no login)

January 19 2018, 4:33 AM 

Magicians here, will of course recognize female magician, Celeste Evans - in the clip above.

http://www.celesteevansmagic.com/

She certainly didn't make her fame doing "escapes", and the above strait-jacket escape may have been the only time she even did an "escape". She was known for her glamour, beauty, and magic act (i.e. Doves and card manipulations).

Nils
(no login)

January 19 2018, 6:09 AM 

A great quest! Best of luck.

I'm looking forward to the finished project.

Nils

Spencer
(no login)

January 19 2018, 8:40 PM 

Keep up the good work, this is fascinating history and it should be preserved and recorded.

Gary Hunt
(Login gehunt)

Thanks for the comments and information

January 31 2018, 10:47 AM 

Thanks for all the kind comments and information.

Mark: May Delkano (Serenzia Maks Trinz) was married to Harry Trinz, and they performed as the Delkanos. This photo is from 1905 when they were in the sideshow with “Maccaddon’s Great International Shows”. This was supposed to be a multiyear tour of Europe. However, it soon went bankrupt in August of 1905 and stranded several hundred performers in France. The Delkanos did not get back to the US until January 1906, when they started to perform again.

The “Handcuff Queen” is Madame Zingara. I think she performed in England.

Richard: One of my favorite photos of Sirronje (Florence Enright Norris 1879-1947). She and Minerva were the most successful of the handcuff queens.

Will be posting some new articles soon. Will let everyone know when they are up.

Gary

Gary Hunt
(Login gehunt)

Update to Handcuff Queens website

February 1 2018, 5:33 PM 

Just added two new articles to Handcuffqueens.com . One is on Marie Shannon who left a very successful juvenile singing group to become an escape artist. The other is on “Shee”, the Female Houdini,” who did a suspended straitjacket escape as the closing effect of her vaudeville act. Enjoy

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>