<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A New moon appeared, but

August 4 2005 at 9:55 PM

Cindytoo  (Login cindytoo)

no reflection on the water.
I have been trying to make a yellowish reflection on the water. Any advice please. Original has stars to take away that black sky look but sky was still ugly.
?5951

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jim Hunt
(Login JimHunt)
Group #26032

Copy the layer.

August 5 2005, 12:43 AM 

Erase everything on the top layer except that bright blue reflection. Use hue control to get the right shade of yellow. Move it over in line with the moon.

Respond to this message   

Cindytoo
(Login cindytoo)

Thanks Jim

August 5 2005, 1:12 AM 

I have cloned from other reflection. Your idea maybe better. How do I erase all except the blue reflecton. I know the erasor tool but how do I retain the fading blue edges.
I will try

Respond to this message   

Cindytoo
(Login cindytoo)

Well I tried

August 5 2005, 1:30 AM 

I used magic erasor to get rid of most, then erasor to fine tune. The blue left was reasonable but when trying to get a yellowish tone, lots of red in centre bottom and with my poor knowledge of photoshop looked too artificial when layed.

Respond to this message   

Jim Hunt
(Login JimHunt)
Group #26032

There's probably a better way to change color.

August 5 2005, 1:52 AM 

Maybe convert to monochrome or substitute color channels. I know very little of Photoshop, myself. Just the things I use on a regular basis.

Respond to this message   

David Gray
(Login rudagray)

Need to go find one of mine...try 65kb

August 5 2005, 3:00 AM 

I used a soft edge brush a little wider than moon, selected foreground color off the moon, and then brushed at 40% opacity on the water from building edge of water down...then I moved the moon lower where it would be needed to give a reflection- maybe it would actually be more behind the buildings to the left---or do I have it backwards upside down- was this rising from horizon or setting? To be there a little earlier or to stay later?

Respond to this message   

David Gray
(Login rudagray)

Another try...65kb

August 5 2005, 3:10 AM 

Moved the moon over, got rid of the blue overthere and masked and used hue/saturation/lightness and then blur brush to clean center edge that came out...maybe too bright for the moon's color-

Respond to this message   

Cindytoo
(Login cindytoo)

Thanks again David

August 5 2005, 8:06 PM 

This moon needs to be twice the size being so low in the sky. Also is rising close to west but most would not realize. As mentioned before, leaves that horrible black sky that I am trying to overcome.
Thank David for your edits. Appreciate.

Respond to this message   

Cindytoo
(Login cindytoo)

Thanks David, Nice Reflection

August 5 2005, 8:02 PM 

You must have put alot of time into this edit.
Moon is a bit low and leaves that blank dark sky. No sky should have so much dark. Just after sunset is best time to get away from a big percentage of black. Say, some sunset blue or ever better with coloured cloud.
The moon being low in sky is then not big enough. Moon is twice the size that low.
Anybody who knows area would realize Moon is rising from north and would never be over city like I made.
Your help with reflections will be very helpful in the future.

Respond to this message   

David Gray
(Login rudagray)

Very quick edits only...really...

August 5 2005, 9:31 PM 

The moon on the left side took longer, with getting rid of blue on building and changing masking water blue color....The moon on the right I just picked the color of moon as foreground color and brushed in over the water with Opacity set at lower %- maybe 15 seconds...

I thought yours was original moon in the shot...the lower in the sky should not make it that much larger??? Twice as large??? Am I missing something- I liked taking full moon rise at dusk, timing and conditions have to be perfect- Going to look back in the archives of my D7 shots later- look at my original and the edit I had made...also my lean against tree 1/3 sec exposure at 28mm was done that day I think with the D7.

Respond to this message   
Mark H
(Login megapix)
Group #26032

Moon is always the same size in the sky...

August 5 2005, 9:53 PM 

> The moon being low in sky is then not big enough.
> Moon is twice the size that low.

Hi John,

Although it's a common (mis)perception that the Moon is bigger when it's lower in the sky, this is just an "phsycological illusion".

The Moon is always the same size regardless of its position in the sky - if you don't believe me, photograph it when it's low, and again when it's high, then compare the shots and you'll see it actually is always the same size.

To recreate the "illusion" of the Moon being bigger when lower you have to either shoot it using a telephoto, which is more akin to how the eye/brain is viewing it, or cheat by Photoshop manipulation (something which I personally dissaprove of).

Mark.

P.S. I should add; I think the Moon in your shot is plenty big enough - any bigger and I think it would look quite out of scale/perspective.

This message has been edited by megapix on Aug 5, 2005 10:03 PM

Respond to this message   

Cindytoo
(Login cindytoo)

Thanks Mark, no doubt you are right

August 5 2005, 10:52 PM 

Just from time to time I drive to end of street (East) and practise photographing the full moon. Mostly unsuccessful but getting there. Moon is just so bright and at times so clear I can seen them making cheese on the surface. I stand on a cliff and wait for the moon to appear over Moreton Island. As the moon rises it is very big, seems twice the size as 30 minutes later. But as you say, just a "phsycological illusion"
In case of subject photo, low moon would not be the best so low as not bright enough. I must take the full moon next time as it rises and post.
Even taken photo of a Moon Shadow.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement