Return to The Sin Bin  

"bogging down the anti-terrorist effort" has become a meme

October 12 2004 at 2:01 PM
DA  (no login)
from IP address 65.12.154.230

Response to Don't understand your logic D'...

I must disagree if only because we have no way of truly knowing. What benchmark do we use to judge this? Bush has told us this is a fight that may not be over in our lifetime. Where is the evidence that Iraq has bogged down the rest of the effort, substantive or otherwise? Taliban, gone. Free elections in Afghanistan, 75% of the top leadership of al Qaeda dead, the rest devoting their energy to staying alive. There are less bombers in Israel because Saddam is gone. Libya has dismantled a nuclear arms program that we didn't even know about. Free elections coming soon to Iraq. The Olympics, no terrorist attack. The political conventions, no terrorist attack. Elections in Australia, no terrorist attack.

To the contrary, the jihad is bleeding itself white in Iraq. I may think some tactical errors have been made in Iraq (Fallajah), but we are winning. No military commander has asked for more troops in either Iraq of Afghanistan. Paul Bremmer wrote in the NYT about the discussions with the military over troop strength and said he deferred to the military that more troops would be an overall disadvantage. The General in command of our special forces was interviewed last week and said you could drop two full divisions into the mountains of Afghanistan and never know they were there. He was saying more troops would not be an advantage, we need to fight it the way we are. Tommy Franks was in command of both theaters and has said he did not divert troops, including special ops, from Afghanistan to Iraq. (He's retired, so he can say whatever the hell he wants).

I expect this to be a long haul. No one promised otherwise.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement