Return to The Sin Bin  

Jurys in Orange County, CA

January 22 2005 at 12:17 PM
Burgie  (no login)
from IP address 67.52.121.155

Response to Geeezus, dude

It is harder and harder to fill jury boxes in Orange County, if not in all of California. You can only be called once a year, which accounts for the 13 month cycle.

Why is this, you might ask.... Orange County is home to the sprawling city of Santa Ana, or Northern Tijuana as it is sometimes known. 60% of the population of Santa Ana is undocumented aliens (illegal isn't a term that is allowed in the People's Paradise of California), so there are tons of misdemeanors and lightweight felonies that end up in the local courts - mostly drugs, driving under the influence, spousal abuse, and lastly, gang activities. It's a tough town. O.k., there's the crime but where are the jurors? Doris' pool consisted of 50 people; over a third were dismissed because they couldn't understand english. Another 10 because they had family members currently envolved with cases being heard in the jurisdiction, and a couple of true looneys. The judge seated a 12 person jury, plus 1 alternate, with only 2 choices left - soooooo, out of 50 prospects, 35 we thrown out as unsuitable. Some, of course, lie through their teeth because they just don't want to be bothered.

I don't get picked every year, sometimes a jury is chosan before they get to my number. Once or twice I've had legitimate reasons (scheduled surgery and a vacation which had been paid for and was non-refundable) but that didn't exempt me for the year, justed moved my regular spot back a couple of months.

While I don't relish the burden of deciding a persons guilt or innocence, I do enjoy the process of the system, it can be very interesting, if sometimes a bit confusing, when it comes to the logic behind proper proceedure. I do, however, wish it rolled around a little less often.

Hang 'em High! or Hook 'em Horns, or Hang Loose, or........

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement