Return to The Sin Bin  

Thanks for the reminder, Burgie...

November 4 2008 at 11:18 PM
HR  (Login lehtinen-26)
Forum Owner
from IP address 76.182.234.239

Response to Hey, you Americans...!

And now some thoughts after my long absence from this board...

Hard to believe it's been a little over 5 years since we started this little shindig we like to call the Sin Bin. Back then we were trying to siphon off the heated discussions about Iraq on the FOC, and we succeeded in that goal to a certain extent. Still, many folks just never came back, and it saddens that we lost contact with RPAP, DaBroons, and many other fine contributors over the years.

But tonight my focus is on the next four years of what I'm officially dubbing "eloquent gridlock". Tonight we celebrate the beginning of a new romance with the rest of the world, as we come a courting with a big bouquet of plastic flowers made in China...like Sidney Portier, in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner".

We're so sorry, world, for hurting your feelings over the past 8 years. Now, with Oprah's counsel, we are ready to make you feel loved again. We might even engage you in a little tap dance routine...but we promise, no Sammy Davis jokes.

If all of these African American references make you uncomfortable, world, it shouldn't. After all, we know how much you tried to stop the violence in Darfur and Rwanda...and the spread of AIDS. I know. I know. You were waiting for us to take the lead all this time. Well, world, wait no more...your man has arrived (although, technically, he's a mulatto. But let's not let a little cream in the coffee shatter the illusion for now..let's wait until he falls off the horse).

You see, world, many of us Americans used to believe that our nation was sharply divided by culture...urban vs. rural, work vs. welfare, corporate vs. small business...and in that context, there just wasn't a need to focus on a person's race. But...now....well...they are front and center. And for the next four years, we will all pretend that race had nothing to do with Obama becoming President of the United States of America. Oh...and world, thanks for all the help with Katrina.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement