Respond to this messageReturn to The Sin Bin
Original Message
  • Numbers don't lie?
    • Octopus (no login)
      Posted Sep 1, 2004 6:26 AM

No, of course not! Especially when your brain is mush, and predisposed to believe any interpretation of numbers the Pacifist Left/Anti-Israel/Anti-America crowd spits out. To rational people, more disposed to critical-thinking, numbers are just numbers, that can be massaged or manipulated into any shape that fits your fiction.

Since you want to talk numbers, though, consider the fact that Bush is smoking Kerry in electoral college votes, and gaining by the week. Put those stats in your sippie-cup, with your pink gin, and suck on it!

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

-----------------------------------------

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. ~Aaron Levenstein

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything. ~Gregg Easterbrook

98% of all statistics are made up. ~Author Unknown

Say you were standing with one foot in the oven and one foot in an ice bucket. According to the percentage people, you should be perfectly comfortable. ~Bobby Bragan, 1963

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable. ~Author Unknown

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli, commonly misattributed to Mark Twain because he quotes Disraeli in Autobiography (Thank you, Will.)

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts - for support rather than for illumination. ~Andrew Lang

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say. ~William W. Watt

Then there is the man who drowned crossing a stream with an average depth of six inches. ~W.I.E. Gates

I always find that statistics are hard to swallow and impossible to digest. The only one I can ever remember is that if all the people who go to sleep in church were laid end to end they would be a lot more comfortable. ~Mrs. Robert A. Taft

Satan delights equally in statistics and in quoting scripture.... ~H.G. Wells, The Undying Fire

While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will be up to, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Individuals vary, but percentages remain constant. So says the statistician. ~Arthur Conan Doyle

I abhor averages. I like the individual case. A man may have six meals one day and none the next, making an average of three meals per day, but that is not a good way to live. ~Louis D. Brandeis

The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic. ~Joe Stalin, comment to Churchill at Potsdam, 1945

I could prove God statistically. Take the human body alone - the chances that all the functions of an individual would just happen is a statistical monstrosity. ~George Gallup

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)