Respond to this messageReturn to The Sin Bin
Original Message
  • You mean it's all just an internal quest for a Happy Face and a Bobby McFerrin song?
    • DA (no login)
      Posted Aug 10, 2006 9:32 AM

This is tripe.

"While it is true that the regimes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot were irreligious to varying degrees...", the author then tries to tie their ahem excesses to religious beliefs. The Holocaust "was a direct inheritance from medieval Christianity"? Stalin banned all religion and yet he was irreligious "only to a varying degree"? This guy writes about religion in general, but seems to pick only on Christianity; radical Islam is the greatest threat the civilized world faces and is intolerant to the degree that non-believes and those watching the World Cup on television must be killed and this guy completely ignores them.

I don't know the methodology the UN uses in its Human Development Report, but I am automatically knee-jerk skeptical and even still this author only selectivly uses the information in the report to support his view. He lists the 11 most atheistic countries (without giving any supporting proof that these 11 really are atheistic) as having the higest scores yet overlooks the US at number 10. Nor does the UN report give any numerical value between rankings. What is the spread between 1 and 10? He says (again without support) that the bottom 50 are "unwaveringly religious". I just never really thought Mozambique, Chad, Mali, Sierra Leone, or Niger as being unwaveringly religious. A much more realistic interpretation of the HDR would be that those countries that have democratic goverments and free market economies offer their citizens a better life.

His closing paragraph is for us all to be reasonable and then expresses unreasonableness toward religion (read Christianity). I can see why this guy would try to soften Pol Pots image. As I said, tripe.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement