THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Anonymous
(Login Dannemois)

Halifax MZ652

March 13 2014, 3:41 PM 

Hello nicotimmer

Received your email with photos attached regarding monument to the crew of Halifax B MK III MZ 652/DY-2. Not sure how I can help, what are you looking for?

Respond to this message   
Tina Priestman
(no login)

halifax bombers

April 13 2004, 1:21 PM 

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/archivestory.php/aid/564/Do_you_know_of_%91Jock%92_Baxter_.html

Hi

Not sure if you are aware of Alun Emlyn Jones - see attached article. If you want his contact details please email me.

regards

Tina Priestman
(ps my husband was involved in the memorial located on Garrowby Hill)

Respond to this message   
christine johnson
(no login)

Information required if possible

February 21 2008, 2:18 PM 

I'm not even sure if I'm on the right site to request help with my enquiry, but will leave a message in the hope that if I'm not, then someone out there will put me on the right track!
My son is trying to research my late dad's RAF career and would welcome ANY information he can gather on his time at Pocklington.My father's name was Flt Sgt Cyril George William PUGSLEY,he was a wireless operator/air gunner. He was a member of 102 (Ceylon) Squadron and was based at Pocklington between the 10th July, 1944 and the 16th December, 1944. We have a photograph of the crew he flew with in the Halifax with the nose painting and logo "The Flying Scot". The crew members appear to have written their own names and addresses on the back of the photo, two are New Zealanders - H.J. Hammond from Christchurch and R.H> Selby from New Plymouth. Another two are from the London area -one signature is quite difficult to decipher but I think the name is G. Armsby of Holmstall Avenue, Burnt Oak, Edgware and the other is J.W. Chown of Willingdon Road, Wood Green, London.
The two other crew members are from Kent and Sussex and I think I am already "on their trails".
If there is anyone with any information whatsoever to offer, then both my son and I would be more than grateful to hear from you.

With best wishes,
Christine Johnson

Respond to this message   
Harold Brabin
(no login)

WAG at Pocklington

June 5 2008, 7:31 AM 

I have a photo of all the Wireless Operators on the Squadron and one of them is named Pugsley. I did 43 trips on 102 and I still have vivid memories of that time although it was 65 years ago. I will be meeting three other members of my crew next week in Brisbane.I will send you a copy of the photo if you like.Regards.

Respond to this message   
Neil
(no login)

Info Requested - George William Parrett

September 28 2010, 11:26 AM 

I'm researching a family member who did a full tour with 102 (Ceylon) Sqn on Halifax bombers from Pocklington. He originated from Kirkburton in West Yorkshire. He started as an Air Gunner (NCO) and converted to Wireless Op. He was commissioned during the war and got to Flt Lt. I am trying with some difficulty to get my hands on his log book, which I have not seen since George passed away and it was inherited by his son. I saw the log book when I was a boy, and remember it was full of clippings and even some of the leaflets that they dropped. I was an associate member of 102 Squadron Association with George in his final years, and attended a few reunions with him, but he never managed to contact any surviving members of his crew. Those surviving aircrew will understand how disappointed he was, never being able to contact them again. I was hoping to find some more information. The photo of the wireless ops would be fantastic.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
Jim Willis
(no login)

WAG

February 18 2011, 2:25 PM 

Hi My Grandfather was a WAG with 102 at Pocklington he was killed over Colonge Feb 1943 If you have a photo of the Wags I would love a copy.
His name was Leonard james Dowdall 'Jimmy'
Many Thanks

Jim Willis

Respond to this message   
Mark Haselden
(Login marko74)

102 squadron

February 21 2011, 7:09 PM 

only just read your post my late grandad was on 102 squadron in 1943 and he was a W/OP GEORGE OLLERHEAD appreciate this may be a long shot but just wondered if you knew of him or had any memories that may help my research of him...if possible any photos...regards MARK .

Respond to this message   
Mark Haselden
(Login haselden130)

102 squadron 1943

October 3 2011, 10:48 AM 

Just seen your post my grandad was on 102 squadron may to October 43 as a WAG
IF you have a pic of him that would be fantastic...his name was George Ollerhead ...regards Mark

Respond to this message   
Bill Leyland
(no login)

George Ollerhead

July 23 2012, 4:43 PM 

There is a photo of him on the website and a list of his crew. www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
Bill

Respond to this message   
Trevor Jones
(Login Roderick11)

Wireless operators photo Pocklington

December 7 2012, 6:02 PM 

Hello

I read with great interest your article on the 102 (Ceylon) website.

My father was a wireless operator based at Pocklington between April 1944 and June 1944. He is in both photos. My fathers name was Ryland Jones. At the time of the photos he was either a pilot officer or flying officer,(Can't see to well on photo)

He like many smoked a pipe and I know he was friends with a navigator called Jack Tweed who was shot down on a raid 16th June 1944 ( oil plant Sterkrade ?) then as a POW in Stalag luft 111

I have looked at the ORB's for the time but can only find when dad was posted in and out.

Sadly dad passed away in 2000 and like many I am trying to put the pieces together of a time in his life I know little about.

I hope you are well and any information would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Trevor

Respond to this message   
Bill Leyland
(no login)

RAF Pocklington

July 23 2012, 4:34 PM 

I know this is an old thread but I feel obliged to respond anyway as I am an associate member of the squadron. Don't build your hopes up, but you might get something on the squadron website at www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk. We are ALWAYS on the lookout for more photos of the crews, and as my uncle was a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner with 102 at the same time (May 44 - 25/July 44)I am interested in seeing these guys myself. We meet on the airfield twice a year and would be happy to pass on photos etc. I also have the site plan for RAF Pocklington. Sorry to admit I don't have any specific info on Sgt Pugsley but some of our guys on the website forum might have something.
Good Luck Christine,
Bill

Respond to this message   
G.Brooks
(no login)

R.H.Selby

March 3 2014, 9:24 PM 

Any chance of getting a copy of the photo? I am researching local boyss who served in the RNZAF attached to the RAF. I would be very keen to have a photo of Ron Selby. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
christine johnson
(no login)

Information required if possible

February 21 2008, 2:19 PM 

I'm not even sure if I'm on the right site to request help with my enquiry, but will leave a message in the hope that if I'm not, then someone out there will put me on the right track!
My son is trying to research my late dad's RAF career and would welcome ANY information he can gather on his time at Pocklington.My father's name was Flt Sgt Cyril George William PUGSLEY,he was a wireless operator/air gunner. He was a member of 102 (Ceylon) Squadron and was based at Pocklington between the 10th July, 1944 and the 16th December, 1944. We have a photograph of the crew he flew with in the Halifax with the nose painting and logo "The Flying Scot". The crew members appear to have written their own names and addresses on the back of the photo, two are New Zealanders - H.J. Hammond from Christchurch and R.H> Selby from New Plymouth. Another two are from the London area -one signature is quite difficult to decipher but I think the name is G. Armsby of Holmstall Avenue, Burnt Oak, Edgware and the other is J.W. Chown of Willingdon Road, Wood Green, London.
The two other crew members are from Kent and Sussex and I think I am already "on their trails".
If there is anyone with any information whatsoever to offer, then both my son and I would be more than grateful to hear from you.

With best wishes,
Christine Johnson

Respond to this message   
A Angus
(no login)

Photo of 102 Squadron

November 19 2011, 4:57 AM 

Hello Christine
I have just come across your posting of 2008 re 102 Squadron in which you mention a photo including an H J Hammond from Christchurch, New Zealand. I believe this is a Harold James Hammond, a relative of my husband's family, and if the offer is still there and if it is still possible I would be very interested to see the photograph. I have a little more information about him if you are interested.
Many thanks
Alison

Respond to this message   
Malcom Cairns
(no login)

Pocklington 1944

September 26 2009, 8:03 PM 

i have just come across a Postgram from Air Chief Marshall informing my Father that he was recieving the DFC my Fathers name was G. F. Cairns 102 squadron

Respond to this message   
Dennis Briggs
(no login)

102 Sqd

November 28 2009, 5:13 PM 

Hi Malcolm,
Very good news about your father receiving the DFC.
I have started researching into the 102 Sqd as my father,Geofrey Barnard Briggs was a flight engineer & remusted to pilot in Halifax aircraft.
My brother has just given me two of my fathers diaries for 1944-45 and shows his sorties/flight log etc.
I would be very greatful for any information of the squadron or any guys who may still be alive.
Kind Regards
Dennis
07855 742424 mobile

Respond to this message   
phil salmon
(no login)

102 ceylon squadron

January 27 2010, 3:50 PM 

hi i am wondering if you can help me, i am after some infomation on the voluntary 102 squadron ceylon based at pocklington , my mums cousin, sgt peter james northen parker was a tail gunner in a halifax bomber and was kia on the sterkrade mission 16/17 june 1944 , we have very little information on him and his life in the raf , was any of the wrekage found , where ext and what happenned ,who was with him ect
any info would be much appreciated thanks
phil salmon

Respond to this message   
Simon Wood
(Login redallover8)

Flight Sergeant Ronald William Peel

April 21 2010, 9:31 PM 

Hi,

My uncle, Sgt Ronald William Peel, was also killed on the mission of 16/17th June 1944 to bomb the Sterkrade synthetic oil plant. I would alo be interested if anyone out there has information on his time at Pocklington and the men he flew with and died alongside. Ronald's memorial is in the REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Simon Wood

Respond to this message   
Malcolm Harris
(no login)

Sterkrade 16th June 1944

December 16 2010, 9:46 PM 

Sgt Ronald Peel flew as a bomb aimer in Halifax MZ652 DY-Z.
The aircraft crashed in Germany. No survivors.

The crew:

FO A.V. Maxwell Pilot
FO W A Rushforth Navigator
Sgt R.W. Peel Bomb Aimer
Sgt P. Stamper Wireless Op.
Sgt N.W. Amstein Air Gunner
Sgt L. McKenna Air Gunner
Sgt E. Walker Engineer

Respond to this message   
Chris Harper
(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Page up for this crew

October 24 2011, 9:16 AM 

Just wanted to let you know that a page has been made on our site for this crew but we still really need some photo's if possible.

All the best

Chris

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here