THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Nico Timmer
(Login nicotimmer)

Photo

March 12 2014, 5:48 PM 

I have photo's from the 'monument"which is near my house but how do I send it?
Nico Timmer
Living on the Dutch/German border

Respond to this message   
David
(Login coeurdelion)

dedicated page

November 10 2016, 10:25 AM 

Hi
My grand father Percy was on the Halifax that was shot down,i will try to get some photos dent but in the mean time where is the dedicated page for the crew?

Regards

Respond to this message   
coeurdelion
(Login coeurdelion)

dedicated page

November 10 2016, 5:43 PM 

Hi my grandad was Percey Stamper ,will try and send some pictures but where is the page dedicated to the crew

Regards

Respond to this message   
David
(Login coeurdelion)

Percy \stamper

November 10 2016, 10:21 AM 

Hi
Not sure how much info you got on your uncle as this is an old post but my grand father Percey was also killed on the raid,Kenny walker and my father found out a lot of information and even got photos and information from the men who actually shot the Halifax down.

My father unfortunately passed away in march and i am trying to contact Kenny Walker

Get in touch and i will pass any info on to you

Regards

Respond to this message   
David
(Login coeurdelion)

your uncle William

December 10 2016, 11:03 AM 

Hi not sure if you still check this site for messages but my grandad Pecey Stamper flew and died alongside your uncle 17th June 1944,My father who passed away in March was in contact with Kenny Walker ,a cousin of E O Walker who was also killed on the same flight and they had a lot of information gathered,i have been trying without success to contact Kenny but if i do i will let you know what information he has.I have photos and details about that fateful night but it is at my dads house in England ,i live in France so will collect it next time i am over and send you a copy if you are still looking

Let me kn ow regards David

Respond to this message   
Malcolm Harris
(no login)

Sgt P.J Parker - 102 Sqn

December 17 2010, 3:43 PM 

Hslifax MZ 301 Code DY-M failed to return from the Sterkrade mission of 16th/17th June 1944. The aircraft crashed in the North Sea in the early hours of 17th June. All crew listed as missing. Five 102 Squadron aircraft were lost on this raid.

The crew:

Squn Ldr D.R.Fisher DFC, DFM - Pilot
FO A.G. Striowksi - Navigator
PO G.C. Burglass - Bomb Aimer
FO L.A. Watts - Wireless Operator
Flt Lt. R.E. Cooke - Airgunner
Sgt P.J. Parker - Airgunner
Sgt K. Clough - Flight Engineer

Respond to this message   
Malcolm Cairns
(no login)

RAF Poklington

November 28 2011, 12:03 AM 

please make contact

Respond to this message   
richard dickson
(Login richarddickson)

cjs wilkes and john dickson

January 7 2011, 11:01 PM 

i'm trying to find any informnation for my navigator Father John Dickson from Sutton Coldfield who flew with 102 sqdn with CJS Wilkes ("Chas") from Tooting. any help would be much appreciated.

Respond to this message   
Chris Harper
(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Sg Joseph Marsh 102 & 35 sqdn, died July 1943

March 19 2011, 3:37 PM 

This week we have just got news that my Great Uncle Joseph Marsh was with the 102 sqdn at Pocklington in 1943, below is a list of the crew:

Sergeant JOSEPH MARSH
1080667, 35 Sqdn, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, who died age 23 on 14 July 1943
Son of Joseph William and Ellen Marsh, of Upholland, Lancashire.
Remembered with honour RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Sergeant FRANK FREDERICK WARD
1321748, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died age 21 on 14 July 1943
Son of Ernest C. and Bessie Ward, of Hornchurch, Essex.

Sergeant STUART FRED HUGHES
1021591, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died on 14 July 1943

Flight Sergeant FRANK WILLIAM WHITTAKER
1231515, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died age 20 on 14 July 1943
Son of William and Mabel Elizabeth Whittaker, of Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Lancashire.

Flight Sergeant EDWARD WRIGHT SAYWELL
415372, 35 Sqdn., Royal New Zealand Air Force who died age 25 on 14 July 1943
Son of Raymond and Margaret Maud Saywell, of New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand.

Sergeant ERNEST RAYMOND MOORE
1379660, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died age 30 on 14 July 1943
Son of Ernest John and Dorothy Amy Moore; husband of Jessie Louisa Moore, of Enfield, Middlesex.

Sergeant RONALD W. WISSON pow - Held L6/357, pow No.450

This crew died on their first mission for 35sqdn, but the log books shows them flying over 14 for 102 sqdn during the early months of 1943.

I am in contact now with Ronald Wissons grandson, but would be interested to hear from anyone who can remember this crew, or anyone with photos of Pocklington during this time.. I'm guessing that some of you have some that are not on the web..

I believe there is some kind of 102 reunion, and that the man to talk to is Tom Wingham, does any one have details please.. IM me if you think thats the best way.

All the best
Chris

Respond to this message   
Chris Harper
(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Update on my research

September 13 2011, 8:30 PM 

It seems a very long time ago that I began my research on my great uncle Joseph Marsh.

Not only have I built a web site dedicated to everyone that died on the Aachen raid of July 13/14 1943, but I am not beginging to build one dedicated to everyone that served with 102 Ceylon Squadron.

I hope the forum hosts are ok with me posting this here, I did so because I know this one post hits high on the search engine results for 102 Squadron.

Our web site address is www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk

We are looking for everyone that has a link with 102 to send us their loved ones story.

We have already had a number of people send us articles and histories.. most of it is waiting to be written up by yours truely..

If any one has any questions I can be contacted via the web site.

All the best to you all

Chris

Respond to this message   
Cat Dare
(no login)

Re: Update on my research

September 14 2011, 10:46 AM 

Hi there,

Have just been looking at your website. I have tried to email you on the 102 ceylon squadron email address but got a delivery failed notification. I think my grandad was a bomber pilot in WW2 at was based at Pocklington. My email address is catdare@hotmail.com

Best wishes,

Catherine Dare.

Respond to this message   
Chris Harper
(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Thanks for the reply

September 14 2011, 12:11 PM 

Have rteplied by email, thanks for the enquirey, great to hear from another family member of 102.

Respond to this message   
Harold Brabin
(no login)

My War Diary

October 12 2011, 6:58 AM 

Hi, If you wish to give me your address I will send you a disk containing my War Diary.

Respond to this message   
Neil
(Login Neilwe)

102 Squadron ORBs

August 4 2011, 2:00 PM 

Hi - Have copies of the Operational Record Books for 102 Squadron for 1943, 1944 and 1945 if details required.

Neil

Respond to this message   
Martin Whitcombe
(no login)

WO Tom J McClean DFC DFM

August 16 2011, 4:25 PM 

Warrant Officer Tom McLean

Warrant Officer Tom McLean, who has died aged 89, was one of Bomber Command’s outstanding air gunners, credited with destroying at least seven enemy fighters, and was twice decorated for gallantry.

5:54PM BST 15 Aug 2011

Comments

During an attack on Mannheim on the night of December 6 1942, McLean was the rear gunner of a Halifax of No 102 Squadron. A Junkers Ju 88 night fighter opened fire on his aircraft from 600 yards, wounding McLean in the left hand. With the mid-upper gunner, he returned fire and, after a five-second burst, the port engine and wing of the fighter burst into flames and it dived earthward.

Warrant Officer Tom McLean

Almost immediately, two more fighters moved in for a coordinated attack. Both gunners opened fire again, destroying one of the enemy aircraft and forcing the other to break away. The Halifax pressed on to the target to deliver its attack, and on its return both gunners were awarded immediate DFMs.

Thomas Joseph McLean was born on January 22 1922 at Paisley, and aged 18 he joined the RAF and trained as a ground gunner; his knowledge of machine guns proved of great benefit when he volunteered for the air gunner’s role.

He took a deep interest in accurate sighting, range estimation and deflection shooting and throughout his long career worked closely with the pilots and gunners in his crew to devise evasion tactics, which they practised assiduously on training flights. This attention to detail resulted in numerous successes in air-to-air engagements.

On his first operational sortie with No 102, in August 1942, McLean shot down a Messerschmitt Bf 109 . Two months after the raid on Mannheim, his aircraft was returning from Lorient when it came under attack from two night fighters. The pilot began evasive manoeuvres under the direction of McLean, who then shot down one of the enemy, claiming the second as a “probable”. Intelligence later received from France confirmed that the second aircraft had been destroyed.

After completing 30 operations McLean was rested and spent some months as an instructor before joining a Coastal Command air-sea rescue squadron. But, frustrated at the lack of action, he volunteered to join No 617 Squadron, under Wing Commander Leonard Cheshire.

On March 15 1944 McLean’s Lancaster was returning from Metz in France when it came under sustained attack from two night fighters. McLean was wounded but he opened fire and the enemy aircraft burst into flames under the combined fire of the two gunners. The second aircraft then closed in and the Lancaster was badly damaged . McLean’s fire hit the night fighter, which also crashed to the ground. The tracer fire during these combats attracted a Messerschmitt Bf 109, but the two gunners beat off the attack.

After a spell in hospital, McLean returned to his squadron and flew on the operations leading up to D-Day. Finally, after completing 51 operations, he was rested and awarded a DFC.

McLean briefly tried civilian life at the end of the war, but in 1946 decided to rejoin the RAF. He served as an instructor at the Central Gunnery School before re-mustering as a photographic interpreter and serving at Ballykelly in Northern Ireland.

In 1955 he retired and worked for a number of years as a barber before moving to Middlesbrough, where he undertook caretaker duties, continuing to work until the age of 80.

He was an accomplished landscape and seascape artist and a keen photographer. In his younger days he had been a proficient boxer, representing the RAF at the sport.

Tom McLean died on July 20. After his first marriage was dissolved, he married, in 1981, Kay Thompson. He is survived by both his wives, four children from his first marriage, a daughter from his second and by two stepchildren.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login PaulHerod)

DY-N

August 21 2011, 11:07 PM 

The following is quoted from a crew member (radar navigator) of 35 Squadron (pathfinders Graveley).
I believe DY-N was flying from Pocklington as part of 102 squadron, 4 group.
Can anyone confirm this and does anyone have the orb for 15/3/45 covering 102 squadron activities?
I would like to identify both the aircraft and its crew.

A typical case - an operation on Bottrop in the Ruhr where the target was the Matthias Stinnes benzol plant (March 15-1945). We were assigned as Deputy Master Bomber so we had to orbit the target area until the raid was completed. On the way back we caught up with a Halifax (DY N) limping along on three engines with part of its tail plane shot away. The pilot was obviously having difficulty maintaining a steady course and as such would be an easy prey to marauding German fighters. There was no hope of getting back to its base at Pocklington so it was making for Manston. At once Kiwi intimated that he would follow the plane to provide support and to radio air-sea rescue if it happened to come down in the sea. From time ti time the gunners of the Halifax gave us a wave as if to acknowledge our help. When Manston was reached the Halifax swung viciously off the runway and thankfully the crew were seen to extricate themselves before the inevitable fire.What should have been a 4 hour trip was 5hours but I remember we were pleased to have helped another crew.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Paul.

Respond to this message   
James
(Login jamesinnewcastle)

I'd like a copy of some of the ORBs please?

August 27 2011, 11:34 PM 

Hi Tom

My Uncle died aged 20 in Halifax JB918 call sign DY-T of Halifax Bomber group 102

His plane was shot down on the 26/27 April 1943 at 04:20

His RAF number is 1291074 Sgt at one point, when was also an RAF volunteer reserve at one point.

Shot down by Georg Kraft 12 NJG.3 on the night of April 26th 1943 Zuiderzee 04:29

Location 448 2H5 in See: 3900m

I'd like to follow the ORBs back from the reports of his planes loss to the point where Fred joins the squadron. Hopefully his name will crop up a few times in the ORBs.

Any other info would be great too!

Cheers
James

Respond to this message   
James
(Login jamesinnewcastle)

Ooops

August 27 2011, 11:36 PM 

Sorry it's Neil not Tom, this forum doesn't let you see the other posts as you type your reply!!

James

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login Neilwe)

Re: 102 Squadron ORBs

September 19 2011, 6:11 PM 

Also know have copies of the ORB for 1941 and 1942

Neil

Respond to this message   
Douglas MacDonald
(no login)

Information on my Great Uncle James Jenkins MacDonald

September 24 2011, 11:02 AM 

Hi,

My father died recently and going through his papers we discovered that his uncle, James Jenkins MacDonald was killed around 25th June 1943 while serving with 102 Squadron.

All we know is that his grave is at Florennes Communal Cemetery and would appreciate if you had any more information about his final mission.

Regards,

Douglas MacDonald

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here