THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

102 Sqn Pocklington

November 13 2003 at 9:00 PM
  (Login jonshell)
from IP address 80.1.18.234

Hi folks, this is a copy of a post i've just put on another Halifax forum, so apologies to those who have already seen it. I am looking for any info regarding a 102 Sqn Halifax Mk111 based at RAF Pocklington in 1944. I've asked before without much success, but i'm hoping something may turn up. I know the code letters were DY-C and the serial no was MZ300. This aircraft survived the war and was struck off charge on 20th March 1947. I believe it also flew with 77 and 10 Sqns but I don't know when or what its code letters would have been. Between June and Aug 44 with A flight 102 sqn the pilot was a Flt Sgt Adams (possibly Alfred F Adams)and the Flight Engineer was a Sgt E. Moore (1493595).
Any info on this aircraft or its crew (especially Sgt Moore who was at 1652 HCU Marston Moor from Feb to June 44) would be appreciated. Any photos especially welcome. (I have access to a scanner and so could borrow, copy, and return any photos).

Please help if poss. I live in Liverpool and have no chance of getting to Kew in the forseeable future.

Thanks..... Jon Shelley

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

regarding W/o A F Adams

November 22 2003, 5:50 PM 

I have been gathering info on 102 squadron for research on a book. I have some bits and bobs on the crew. let me know your email I will be glad to send you the bit through.

Respond to this message   

(Login jonshell)

102 Sqn

November 27 2003, 6:38 AM 

Hi, my email is as follows....

blue.jonshell@virgin.net

Any info however small would be appreciated.

Thanks Jon

Respond to this message   

(Login marcus50)

Re: 102 Sqn

January 26 2004, 6:59 AM 

Jon my father was a 102 Squadron pilot joined the squadron in December 44 and flew 20 missions between then and 25 April 45.
Flew DY - J Mark VI Halifax for most ops.

Dad is stll alive and well and I am sure would be happy to help you if he could.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Re: 102 Sqn

January 26 2004, 8:03 PM 

Did your father fly on the raid to Madgeburg 16.01.45 if he did I would love to hear his account. Because I have written a book following the life of one Halifax Bomber from May 1944 to 16th Jan 1945 when she failed to return any info would be appreciated.
Many thanks
TIM

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Re: Re: 102 Sqn

January 26 2004, 9:22 PM 

Tim,
My Father was on B flight and did not go to Madgeburg. His first raid in January was 28th to Stuttgart (in a Mark III MZ694)

He then went on raids on 2,7,13 and 21 Feb with the 21 Feb raid being the first in the Mark VI Halifax.

He has his log and details of the raids but not sure that it will be of help to you.

Regards
mark

Respond to this message   

(Login jonshell)

Re: Re: Re: Re: 102 Sqn

January 30 2004, 1:23 PM 

Mark,

Great to hear from you. I'm going to email you shortly about 102 sqn. Any info your Dad would like to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Respond to this message   

(Login jonshell)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 102 Sqn

January 30 2004, 1:27 PM 

Note for Tim,

Tim i emailed you a while ago reference your offer of information (see earlier posts). Did you ever receive it? If not the request still stands (please).

Thanks in advance Jon

Respond to this message   

(Login dennis8)

Diary

November 28 2009, 5:32 PM 

Hi Mark,
I see your notes on site saying that your father flew with 102 and would be great if he knew my father Geofrey Barnard Briggs who may also be known as "Bishy". Any information would be great.
Kind Regards
Dennis

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: regarding W/o A F Adams

May 19 2008, 12:28 PM 

Hi Tim,

I realise this was posted a number of years ago, but I was wondering if you had any information regarding my uncle.
He as a F/Sgt who died on a raid to Germany on 26/6/43. He is buried in a cemetary in Florennes, Belguim. His name is Mathew Henry Clack, but I believe he was known as Harry.
I am just begining some research and would appreciate any help as to any relevant sources of information.

Thanks in anticipation

Richard Clack

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sgt M.H. Clack

July 23 2012, 4:15 PM 

This is a response to an old message and you probably have all this now, but I thought I'd offer it up anyways as I am an active associate member of 102(Ceylon) Squadron. In the squadron history it states that Sgt M.H. Clack was an Air Gunner aboard Halifax III DY-Q airframe number JD144 on a mission to Wuppertal. It isn't stated wether it was flak or fighter that caused them to crash but crash they did and all but two were killed. Harrys Pilot was Sgt KRW Sheppard - KIA, his Navigator was Sgt AG Tovey - KIA, his Wireless Operator was Sgt F.A. Gettings - KIA, his Air Gunner pal was Sgt JJ McDonald - KIA, the Engineer was Sgt C Rushton - PoW and his Bomb Aimer Sgt WR Cole was also a PoW.
Sgt Sheppard is buried at Fosse(S.W. Namur)Belgium and Sgt Tovey is buried at Antwerp. The others are buried at Florennes.
The date you stated was 26/6/1943 but I have it as 24/6/43. Harrys plane was one of two lost from the squadron on this mission.
More info and interesting 102 Sqdrn stuff can be found on the squadron website at www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
Bill.

Respond to this message   
dave
(no login)

Re: regarding W/o A F Adams

October 8 2013, 12:07 PM 

i know this was a number of years ago, but did you get any info, as my uncle was killed 26/6/ 1943

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Robert Joshua Reynolds, 102 Squadron

January 15 2011, 11:41 PM 

Hi,

Do you know anything of my late grandfather, Robert Joshua Reynolds, who served as a navigator in 102 squadron. I believe he served in both 1942 and 1944.

Thank you,

Jon

Respond to this message   

(Login marko74)

102 sqdn

January 20 2011, 6:49 PM 

Just read your post on the forum and see you have some bits and bobs regarding 102 sqdn, just wondering if you have anything from 1943 around March ? My grandad was posted to this sqdn.
Would be very gratefull for a response as i am struggling to gather any info further than his 543 service record from the R A F...thanks, Mark Haselden.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Pilot Officer F J Williams Halifax navigator 102 Squadron POW Stalag Luft III

May 18 2012, 11:43 AM 

The above RAF officer was my father in law. Interested in giving/receiving any information on WWII service.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

PO FJ Williams

July 23 2012, 6:13 PM 

The squadron book states that his plane was thought to have been shot down by a night fighter near the target - Hannover, on 22/9/43. He was the Navigator aboard Halifax III HX154 DY-K along with FS J Hanby Pilot - PoW, Sgt A Taylor WOp - PoW, Sgt R Maund Air Gunner - KIA,FS F Windmill (Aus) Airgunner PoW, Sgt H Edlin Engineer - PoW and Sgt C Anderton Bomb Aimer - PoW. His PoW number was 2639.
Flight Sergeant J Hanby,Flight Sergeant F Windmill, Segeant H Edlin and Sergeant A Taylor were all interred at L6 & 357 (Heydekrug & Kopernikus) and Sergeant C Anderton was in Heydekrug & Belaria.
The 102 book has this quote from Sgt Alec Taylor;
"During the bombing of Hannover on the 22nd of September 1943m my aircraft was coned and whilst the skipper was making strenuous efforts to escape the beams, the starboard inner engine over-revved. Whether this was caused by flak or night fighter, we were not aware. The engine would not feather and eventually the propeller came off and scythed through the nose of the Halifax. The fuse panel was blown out and all electrical equipment in the aircraft failed.
The Navigator plotted a course for home and with the aid of a torch held by me, the pilot was able to turn onto this. however a fire broke out in the damaged engine and we were ordered to bale out. I was caght in the vicinity of Hameln three days later and eventually taken by the Germans to see what they assumed were the remains of my aircraft. They were in fact correct as a flying boot, belonging to our rear gunner, was lying beside the aircraft and his body was visible, protruding from the rear escape hatch. As I had lost a boot on the way down, I wore that boot for the duration of my internment".
Bill

Respond to this message   

(no login)

F/Sgt Gordon Babbage

July 4 2012, 3:42 PM 

My Father-in-Law F/Sgt Gordon Babbage was a rear gunner on 102 Squadron at Pocklington from March 43 until end Nov 43 carrying out a total of 26 ops. His pilot was Sgt Carey (later F/lt) and they were part of B and C flight of 102 during this time.

After 102 he did 2 ops with 100 Squadron and then went to 156 PFF Squadron where he did another 21 ops.

We have his log book and some pictures of his time in the RAF, and are looking for any further info anyone may have. Can anyone help?

Respond to this message   

(Login Dannemois)

Halifax MZ289

February 15 2014, 3:48 PM 

Hi
I am new to the forum and I am looking for any info regarding a 102 Sqn Halifax Mk111 based at RAF Pocklington in 1944. My understanding is the aircraft crashed whilst on a training flight on 17 Sept 1944. Can you help with any information

Regards, Roy

Respond to this message   

(Login nicotimmer)

Halifax B MK III MZ 652/DY-2

March 12 2014, 5:44 PM 

I saw a monument last week at a distance of 1,5 mile from my house. It is a propellor and on that there are photo's from:
Flying Officer WJH Rushforth Canada
Flying Officer AV Maxwell Canada
Pilot Officer NW Amstein Canada
Pilot Officer LWJ McKenna Canada
Sgt P Stamper England
Sgt EO Walker Scotland
Sgt RW Peel England

It sais that the plane wa shot down in this area on june 17 1944 and that they are buries at the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery,
Sorry for my English

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login Dannemois)

Halifax MZ652

March 13 2014, 3:41 PM 

Hello nicotimmer

Received your email with photos attached regarding monument to the crew of Halifax B MK III MZ 652/DY-2. Not sure how I can help, what are you looking for?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

halifax bombers

April 13 2004, 1:21 PM 

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/archivestory.php/aid/564/Do_you_know_of_%91Jock%92_Baxter_.html

Hi

Not sure if you are aware of Alun Emlyn Jones - see attached article. If you want his contact details please email me.

regards

Tina Priestman
(ps my husband was involved in the memorial located on Garrowby Hill)

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Information required if possible

February 21 2008, 2:18 PM 

I'm not even sure if I'm on the right site to request help with my enquiry, but will leave a message in the hope that if I'm not, then someone out there will put me on the right track!
My son is trying to research my late dad's RAF career and would welcome ANY information he can gather on his time at Pocklington.My father's name was Flt Sgt Cyril George William PUGSLEY,he was a wireless operator/air gunner. He was a member of 102 (Ceylon) Squadron and was based at Pocklington between the 10th July, 1944 and the 16th December, 1944. We have a photograph of the crew he flew with in the Halifax with the nose painting and logo "The Flying Scot". The crew members appear to have written their own names and addresses on the back of the photo, two are New Zealanders - H.J. Hammond from Christchurch and R.H> Selby from New Plymouth. Another two are from the London area -one signature is quite difficult to decipher but I think the name is G. Armsby of Holmstall Avenue, Burnt Oak, Edgware and the other is J.W. Chown of Willingdon Road, Wood Green, London.
The two other crew members are from Kent and Sussex and I think I am already "on their trails".
If there is anyone with any information whatsoever to offer, then both my son and I would be more than grateful to hear from you.

With best wishes,
Christine Johnson

Respond to this message   

(no login)

WAG at Pocklington

June 5 2008, 7:31 AM 

I have a photo of all the Wireless Operators on the Squadron and one of them is named Pugsley. I did 43 trips on 102 and I still have vivid memories of that time although it was 65 years ago. I will be meeting three other members of my crew next week in Brisbane.I will send you a copy of the photo if you like.Regards.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Info Requested - George William Parrett

September 28 2010, 11:26 AM 

I'm researching a family member who did a full tour with 102 (Ceylon) Sqn on Halifax bombers from Pocklington. He originated from Kirkburton in West Yorkshire. He started as an Air Gunner (NCO) and converted to Wireless Op. He was commissioned during the war and got to Flt Lt. I am trying with some difficulty to get my hands on his log book, which I have not seen since George passed away and it was inherited by his son. I saw the log book when I was a boy, and remember it was full of clippings and even some of the leaflets that they dropped. I was an associate member of 102 Squadron Association with George in his final years, and attended a few reunions with him, but he never managed to contact any surviving members of his crew. Those surviving aircrew will understand how disappointed he was, never being able to contact them again. I was hoping to find some more information. The photo of the wireless ops would be fantastic.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

WAG

February 18 2011, 2:25 PM 

Hi My Grandfather was a WAG with 102 at Pocklington he was killed over Colonge Feb 1943 If you have a photo of the Wags I would love a copy.
His name was Leonard james Dowdall 'Jimmy'
Many Thanks

Jim Willis

Respond to this message   

(Login marko74)

102 squadron

February 21 2011, 7:09 PM 

only just read your post my late grandad was on 102 squadron in 1943 and he was a W/OP GEORGE OLLERHEAD appreciate this may be a long shot but just wondered if you knew of him or had any memories that may help my research of him...if possible any photos...regards MARK .

Respond to this message   

(Login haselden130)

102 squadron 1943

October 3 2011, 10:48 AM 

Just seen your post my grandad was on 102 squadron may to October 43 as a WAG
IF you have a pic of him that would be fantastic...his name was George Ollerhead ...regards Mark

Respond to this message   

(no login)

George Ollerhead

July 23 2012, 4:43 PM 

There is a photo of him on the website and a list of his crew. www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk
Bill

Respond to this message   

(Login Roderick11)

Wireless operators photo Pocklington

December 7 2012, 6:02 PM 

Hello

I read with great interest your article on the 102 (Ceylon) website.

My father was a wireless operator based at Pocklington between April 1944 and June 1944. He is in both photos. My fathers name was Ryland Jones. At the time of the photos he was either a pilot officer or flying officer,(Can't see to well on photo)

He like many smoked a pipe and I know he was friends with a navigator called Jack Tweed who was shot down on a raid 16th June 1944 ( oil plant Sterkrade ?) then as a POW in Stalag luft 111

I have looked at the ORB's for the time but can only find when dad was posted in and out.

Sadly dad passed away in 2000 and like many I am trying to put the pieces together of a time in his life I know little about.

I hope you are well and any information would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Trevor

Respond to this message   

(no login)

RAF Pocklington

July 23 2012, 4:34 PM 

I know this is an old thread but I feel obliged to respond anyway as I am an associate member of the squadron. Don't build your hopes up, but you might get something on the squadron website at www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk. We are ALWAYS on the lookout for more photos of the crews, and as my uncle was a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner with 102 at the same time (May 44 - 25/July 44)I am interested in seeing these guys myself. We meet on the airfield twice a year and would be happy to pass on photos etc. I also have the site plan for RAF Pocklington. Sorry to admit I don't have any specific info on Sgt Pugsley but some of our guys on the website forum might have something.
Good Luck Christine,
Bill

Respond to this message   

(no login)

R.H.Selby

March 3 2014, 9:24 PM 

Any chance of getting a copy of the photo? I am researching local boyss who served in the RNZAF attached to the RAF. I would be very keen to have a photo of Ron Selby. Thanks.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Information required if possible

February 21 2008, 2:19 PM 

I'm not even sure if I'm on the right site to request help with my enquiry, but will leave a message in the hope that if I'm not, then someone out there will put me on the right track!
My son is trying to research my late dad's RAF career and would welcome ANY information he can gather on his time at Pocklington.My father's name was Flt Sgt Cyril George William PUGSLEY,he was a wireless operator/air gunner. He was a member of 102 (Ceylon) Squadron and was based at Pocklington between the 10th July, 1944 and the 16th December, 1944. We have a photograph of the crew he flew with in the Halifax with the nose painting and logo "The Flying Scot". The crew members appear to have written their own names and addresses on the back of the photo, two are New Zealanders - H.J. Hammond from Christchurch and R.H> Selby from New Plymouth. Another two are from the London area -one signature is quite difficult to decipher but I think the name is G. Armsby of Holmstall Avenue, Burnt Oak, Edgware and the other is J.W. Chown of Willingdon Road, Wood Green, London.
The two other crew members are from Kent and Sussex and I think I am already "on their trails".
If there is anyone with any information whatsoever to offer, then both my son and I would be more than grateful to hear from you.

With best wishes,
Christine Johnson

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Photo of 102 Squadron

November 19 2011, 4:57 AM 

Hello Christine
I have just come across your posting of 2008 re 102 Squadron in which you mention a photo including an H J Hammond from Christchurch, New Zealand. I believe this is a Harold James Hammond, a relative of my husband's family, and if the offer is still there and if it is still possible I would be very interested to see the photograph. I have a little more information about him if you are interested.
Many thanks
Alison

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Pocklington 1944

September 26 2009, 8:03 PM 

i have just come across a Postgram from Air Chief Marshall informing my Father that he was recieving the DFC my Fathers name was G. F. Cairns 102 squadron

Respond to this message   

(no login)

102 Sqd

November 28 2009, 5:13 PM 

Hi Malcolm,
Very good news about your father receiving the DFC.
I have started researching into the 102 Sqd as my father,Geofrey Barnard Briggs was a flight engineer & remusted to pilot in Halifax aircraft.
My brother has just given me two of my fathers diaries for 1944-45 and shows his sorties/flight log etc.
I would be very greatful for any information of the squadron or any guys who may still be alive.
Kind Regards
Dennis
07855 742424 mobile

Respond to this message   

(no login)

102 ceylon squadron

January 27 2010, 3:50 PM 

hi i am wondering if you can help me, i am after some infomation on the voluntary 102 squadron ceylon based at pocklington , my mums cousin, sgt peter james northen parker was a tail gunner in a halifax bomber and was kia on the sterkrade mission 16/17 june 1944 , we have very little information on him and his life in the raf , was any of the wrekage found , where ext and what happenned ,who was with him ect
any info would be much appreciated thanks
phil salmon

Respond to this message   

(Login redallover8)

Flight Sergeant Ronald William Peel

April 21 2010, 9:31 PM 

Hi,

My uncle, Sgt Ronald William Peel, was also killed on the mission of 16/17th June 1944 to bomb the Sterkrade synthetic oil plant. I would alo be interested if anyone out there has information on his time at Pocklington and the men he flew with and died alongside. Ronald's memorial is in the REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Simon Wood

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sterkrade 16th June 1944

December 16 2010, 9:46 PM 

Sgt Ronald Peel flew as a bomb aimer in Halifax MZ652 DY-Z.
The aircraft crashed in Germany. No survivors.

The crew:

FO A.V. Maxwell Pilot
FO W A Rushforth Navigator
Sgt R.W. Peel Bomb Aimer
Sgt P. Stamper Wireless Op.
Sgt N.W. Amstein Air Gunner
Sgt L. McKenna Air Gunner
Sgt E. Walker Engineer

Respond to this message   

(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Page up for this crew

October 24 2011, 9:16 AM 

Just wanted to let you know that a page has been made on our site for this crew but we still really need some photo's if possible.

All the best

Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login nicotimmer)

Photo

March 12 2014, 5:48 PM 

I have photo's from the 'monument"which is near my house but how do I send it?
Nico Timmer
Living on the Dutch/German border

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sgt P.J Parker - 102 Sqn

December 17 2010, 3:43 PM 

Hslifax MZ 301 Code DY-M failed to return from the Sterkrade mission of 16th/17th June 1944. The aircraft crashed in the North Sea in the early hours of 17th June. All crew listed as missing. Five 102 Squadron aircraft were lost on this raid.

The crew:

Squn Ldr D.R.Fisher DFC, DFM - Pilot
FO A.G. Striowksi - Navigator
PO G.C. Burglass - Bomb Aimer
FO L.A. Watts - Wireless Operator
Flt Lt. R.E. Cooke - Airgunner
Sgt P.J. Parker - Airgunner
Sgt K. Clough - Flight Engineer

Respond to this message   

(no login)

RAF Poklington

November 28 2011, 12:03 AM 

please make contact

Respond to this message   

(Login richarddickson)

cjs wilkes and john dickson

January 7 2011, 11:01 PM 

i'm trying to find any informnation for my navigator Father John Dickson from Sutton Coldfield who flew with 102 sqdn with CJS Wilkes ("Chas") from Tooting. any help would be much appreciated.

Respond to this message   

(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Sg Joseph Marsh 102 & 35 sqdn, died July 1943

March 19 2011, 3:37 PM 

This week we have just got news that my Great Uncle Joseph Marsh was with the 102 sqdn at Pocklington in 1943, below is a list of the crew:

Sergeant JOSEPH MARSH
1080667, 35 Sqdn, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, who died age 23 on 14 July 1943
Son of Joseph William and Ellen Marsh, of Upholland, Lancashire.
Remembered with honour RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Sergeant FRANK FREDERICK WARD
1321748, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died age 21 on 14 July 1943
Son of Ernest C. and Bessie Ward, of Hornchurch, Essex.

Sergeant STUART FRED HUGHES
1021591, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died on 14 July 1943

Flight Sergeant FRANK WILLIAM WHITTAKER
1231515, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died age 20 on 14 July 1943
Son of William and Mabel Elizabeth Whittaker, of Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Lancashire.

Flight Sergeant EDWARD WRIGHT SAYWELL
415372, 35 Sqdn., Royal New Zealand Air Force who died age 25 on 14 July 1943
Son of Raymond and Margaret Maud Saywell, of New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand.

Sergeant ERNEST RAYMOND MOORE
1379660, 35 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died age 30 on 14 July 1943
Son of Ernest John and Dorothy Amy Moore; husband of Jessie Louisa Moore, of Enfield, Middlesex.

Sergeant RONALD W. WISSON pow - Held L6/357, pow No.450

This crew died on their first mission for 35sqdn, but the log books shows them flying over 14 for 102 sqdn during the early months of 1943.

I am in contact now with Ronald Wissons grandson, but would be interested to hear from anyone who can remember this crew, or anyone with photos of Pocklington during this time.. I'm guessing that some of you have some that are not on the web..

I believe there is some kind of 102 reunion, and that the man to talk to is Tom Wingham, does any one have details please.. IM me if you think thats the best way.

All the best
Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Update on my research

September 13 2011, 8:30 PM 

It seems a very long time ago that I began my research on my great uncle Joseph Marsh.

Not only have I built a web site dedicated to everyone that died on the Aachen raid of July 13/14 1943, but I am not beginging to build one dedicated to everyone that served with 102 Ceylon Squadron.

I hope the forum hosts are ok with me posting this here, I did so because I know this one post hits high on the search engine results for 102 Squadron.

Our web site address is www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk

We are looking for everyone that has a link with 102 to send us their loved ones story.

We have already had a number of people send us articles and histories.. most of it is waiting to be written up by yours truely..

If any one has any questions I can be contacted via the web site.

All the best to you all

Chris

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Update on my research

September 14 2011, 10:46 AM 

Hi there,

Have just been looking at your website. I have tried to email you on the 102 ceylon squadron email address but got a delivery failed notification. I think my grandad was a bomber pilot in WW2 at was based at Pocklington. My email address is catdare@hotmail.com

Best wishes,

Catherine Dare.

Respond to this message   

(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Thanks for the reply

September 14 2011, 12:11 PM 

Have rteplied by email, thanks for the enquirey, great to hear from another family member of 102.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

My War Diary

October 12 2011, 6:58 AM 

Hi, If you wish to give me your address I will send you a disk containing my War Diary.

Respond to this message   

(Login Neilwe)

102 Squadron ORBs

August 4 2011, 2:00 PM 

Hi - Have copies of the Operational Record Books for 102 Squadron for 1943, 1944 and 1945 if details required.

Neil

Respond to this message   
Martin Whitcombe
(no login)

WO Tom J McClean DFC DFM

August 16 2011, 4:25 PM 

Warrant Officer Tom McLean

Warrant Officer Tom McLean, who has died aged 89, was one of Bomber Command’s outstanding air gunners, credited with destroying at least seven enemy fighters, and was twice decorated for gallantry.

5:54PM BST 15 Aug 2011

Comments

During an attack on Mannheim on the night of December 6 1942, McLean was the rear gunner of a Halifax of No 102 Squadron. A Junkers Ju 88 night fighter opened fire on his aircraft from 600 yards, wounding McLean in the left hand. With the mid-upper gunner, he returned fire and, after a five-second burst, the port engine and wing of the fighter burst into flames and it dived earthward.

Warrant Officer Tom McLean

Almost immediately, two more fighters moved in for a coordinated attack. Both gunners opened fire again, destroying one of the enemy aircraft and forcing the other to break away. The Halifax pressed on to the target to deliver its attack, and on its return both gunners were awarded immediate DFMs.

Thomas Joseph McLean was born on January 22 1922 at Paisley, and aged 18 he joined the RAF and trained as a ground gunner; his knowledge of machine guns proved of great benefit when he volunteered for the air gunner’s role.

He took a deep interest in accurate sighting, range estimation and deflection shooting and throughout his long career worked closely with the pilots and gunners in his crew to devise evasion tactics, which they practised assiduously on training flights. This attention to detail resulted in numerous successes in air-to-air engagements.

On his first operational sortie with No 102, in August 1942, McLean shot down a Messerschmitt Bf 109 . Two months after the raid on Mannheim, his aircraft was returning from Lorient when it came under attack from two night fighters. The pilot began evasive manoeuvres under the direction of McLean, who then shot down one of the enemy, claiming the second as a “probable”. Intelligence later received from France confirmed that the second aircraft had been destroyed.

After completing 30 operations McLean was rested and spent some months as an instructor before joining a Coastal Command air-sea rescue squadron. But, frustrated at the lack of action, he volunteered to join No 617 Squadron, under Wing Commander Leonard Cheshire.

On March 15 1944 McLean’s Lancaster was returning from Metz in France when it came under sustained attack from two night fighters. McLean was wounded but he opened fire and the enemy aircraft burst into flames under the combined fire of the two gunners. The second aircraft then closed in and the Lancaster was badly damaged . McLean’s fire hit the night fighter, which also crashed to the ground. The tracer fire during these combats attracted a Messerschmitt Bf 109, but the two gunners beat off the attack.

After a spell in hospital, McLean returned to his squadron and flew on the operations leading up to D-Day. Finally, after completing 51 operations, he was rested and awarded a DFC.

McLean briefly tried civilian life at the end of the war, but in 1946 decided to rejoin the RAF. He served as an instructor at the Central Gunnery School before re-mustering as a photographic interpreter and serving at Ballykelly in Northern Ireland.

In 1955 he retired and worked for a number of years as a barber before moving to Middlesbrough, where he undertook caretaker duties, continuing to work until the age of 80.

He was an accomplished landscape and seascape artist and a keen photographer. In his younger days he had been a proficient boxer, representing the RAF at the sport.

Tom McLean died on July 20. After his first marriage was dissolved, he married, in 1981, Kay Thompson. He is survived by both his wives, four children from his first marriage, a daughter from his second and by two stepchildren.

Respond to this message   

(Login PaulHerod)

DY-N

August 21 2011, 11:07 PM 

The following is quoted from a crew member (radar navigator) of 35 Squadron (pathfinders Graveley).
I believe DY-N was flying from Pocklington as part of 102 squadron, 4 group.
Can anyone confirm this and does anyone have the orb for 15/3/45 covering 102 squadron activities?
I would like to identify both the aircraft and its crew.

A typical case - an operation on Bottrop in the Ruhr where the target was the Matthias Stinnes benzol plant (March 15-1945). We were assigned as Deputy Master Bomber so we had to orbit the target area until the raid was completed. On the way back we caught up with a Halifax (DY N) limping along on three engines with part of its tail plane shot away. The pilot was obviously having difficulty maintaining a steady course and as such would be an easy prey to marauding German fighters. There was no hope of getting back to its base at Pocklington so it was making for Manston. At once Kiwi intimated that he would follow the plane to provide support and to radio air-sea rescue if it happened to come down in the sea. From time ti time the gunners of the Halifax gave us a wave as if to acknowledge our help. When Manston was reached the Halifax swung viciously off the runway and thankfully the crew were seen to extricate themselves before the inevitable fire.What should have been a 4 hour trip was 5hours but I remember we were pleased to have helped another crew.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Paul.

Respond to this message   

(Login jamesinnewcastle)

I'd like a copy of some of the ORBs please?

August 27 2011, 11:34 PM 

Hi Tom

My Uncle died aged 20 in Halifax JB918 call sign DY-T of Halifax Bomber group 102

His plane was shot down on the 26/27 April 1943 at 04:20

His RAF number is 1291074 Sgt at one point, when was also an RAF volunteer reserve at one point.

Shot down by Georg Kraft 12 NJG.3 on the night of April 26th 1943 Zuiderzee 04:29

Location 448 2H5 in See: 3900m

I'd like to follow the ORBs back from the reports of his planes loss to the point where Fred joins the squadron. Hopefully his name will crop up a few times in the ORBs.

Any other info would be great too!

Cheers
James

Respond to this message   

(Login jamesinnewcastle)

Ooops

August 27 2011, 11:36 PM 

Sorry it's Neil not Tom, this forum doesn't let you see the other posts as you type your reply!!

James

Respond to this message   

(Login Neilwe)

Re: 102 Squadron ORBs

September 19 2011, 6:11 PM 

Also know have copies of the ORB for 1941 and 1942

Neil

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Information on my Great Uncle James Jenkins MacDonald

September 24 2011, 11:02 AM 

Hi,

My father died recently and going through his papers we discovered that his uncle, James Jenkins MacDonald was killed around 25th June 1943 while serving with 102 Squadron.

All we know is that his grave is at Florennes Communal Cemetery and would appreciate if you had any more information about his final mission.

Regards,

Douglas MacDonald

Respond to this message   
Bill Leyland
(no login)

Sgt JJ McDonald

July 23 2012, 4:59 PM 

Not been on here for a while and am catching up with old threads. Ive just responded to a question about this crew! Scroll up to Richard Clack and see my response below (Bill Leyland).

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Sgt K. Crisfield

November 15 2011, 10:20 PM 

would you possibly hava any records regading sgt Crisfield 1592241, who died on 21/1/44 sering with 102 sqdrn.

many thanks

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Response to info on Sgt K Crisfield

July 23 2012, 3:50 PM 

Hi I am an associate member of the squadron and have some reference books that are useful. In 'Its Suicide But I'ts Fun' the entry for your man states that Sgt K Crisfield was an Air Gunner and he was on an operation to Magdeburg when they were shot down by a nightfighter. His Pilot was FS JW Gregory - PoW, his Navigator was FlOff DCE Bradshaw - PoW, his Wireless Operator was Sgt JTA Mitchell - KIA, his other Air Gunner was Sgt D Bellamy - PoW, the Engineer was Sgt I Davies - KIA and the Bomb Aimer was FS RJ Irvine.
The plane was a Halifax III airframe number HX149 and the squadron code letters were DY-J. He is buried in the Berlin War Cemetery in grave 14.G.12. his full name was Kenneth Solman Crisfield.
The Bomber Command Losses states that they had taken off at 8:11 pm and whilst leaving Magdeburg at 18,500 feet a night fighter attacked severeley damaging the controls and set alight the right wing. The three that died are all in the Berlin War Cemetery.
You might find the 102 squadron website interesting, and you might find info on the others there at www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk.
Bill

Respond to this message   

(Login DavidEmmons)

Sgt Charles Miller

November 20 2011, 3:34 PM 

Hi, I'm looking for any information for a Sgt Charles Miller, sometimes known as 'Maxie'. He was a wireless operator for the 102 squadron, He was on a Whitley Z6871 with Sgt Donald K Kibbe, Pilot David B Delany, Sgt Philip L N, Sgt Ronald Gayler and Sgt Clifford Carr. There plane was also involved in an incident over Yorkshire where Sgt Donald K Kibbe was killed.
If you have any info atall, it wolud help me hughly. Please email me at davey_boy6@ Hotmail.co.uk.
Thanks, david

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Sgt Charles Miller

November 20 2011, 5:11 PM 

David - have sent you an email on this

Neil

Respond to this message   

(Login bondstarpaul)

Re: 102 Sqn Pocklington

July 23 2012, 9:12 PM 

Sergeant Andrew Ridley . RAF Volunteer Reserve air gunner 102 Sqdn. from Newcastle)

(d.7th Sep 1943)

Unfornatley the only details I have are from my father who has passed away, but I would be keen to hear from any members of the squadron that served with my Uncle and possibly the pilot/captian of the Halifax, who visited the family after the war, after being freed from a POW camp. If anyone has any more details they could passed i would be eternally grateful

Respond to this message   
Neil
(no login)

Re: 102 Sqn Pocklington

July 25 2012, 3:31 PM 

Paul - He was part of the Atkinson crew and arrived on Squadron during August 1943. I will send other details to you via email. It appears that they were on their second Operation with the Squadron when they were lost. Four of the crew F/O Atkinson and Sgts Butcher/Moore/Kirkby survived to become POW. The aircraft crashed at Antdorf and was on OPs to Munchen. It appears they were shot down by a nightfighter

Neil

Respond to this message   

(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Update

August 7 2012, 8:01 PM 

Hi, wanted to touch base with everyone on this thread.

I have just taken possession of everything that was sent to Chris Goss when he wrote our squadron book, so I am NOT looking for a load of extra work concerning the web site - I have about five years worth here already...

However ---

There are a number of people on this thread that I have never heard of, or never spoken to and I would like to encourage you all to contact me when ever you have a moment and let me have the details of your loved one. (Christine.. give me a bell sometime please.. its been a while now and I still have nothing at all for your dad..)

You may find that they are already on our site in some way, but maybe you can add more details.. especially photo's??

my email address and other contact details can be found on our web site, and I look forward to making up pages for all those I have not yet done.

All the best

Chris

Respond to this message   
Confused
(no login)

Re: Update

January 15 2013, 9:39 PM 

Has the website stopped posting updates? there are a load of pages with notes that they will be added to in the "next few days" but there has been no update since August. Wonder whether the association has closed down or is the website nothing to do with 102 Squadron Association?

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login ChrisInBlackpool)

Still alive

January 17 2013, 10:18 AM 

HI, addressing your points:

The web site is run and operated by an associate member of the association, but it is not it any way controlled by such, or paid for by such, nor will it ever be.

I have had twelve months were my life has been turned upside down and I have needed to place all of this on hold.

The problem is that I have about 60 people now waiting for web pages to be made for their loved ones, and there is only myself that can do the work.

If you have any more questions my direct email can be found on the contact page.

Details for the association will be placed on the Assciation page as soon as possible.

Thanks

Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login Neilwe)

Re: Still alive

January 18 2013, 9:14 PM 

Chris - good to see your posting as had sent few emails but not heard anything back from you.

As things a little hectic still for you I am still happy to help any one with any details from the Squadrons Operational records.

Neil

Respond to this message   
Confused
(no login)

Re: Still alive

January 18 2013, 11:23 PM 

I wasn't sure if you were asking for photo's and stories for the the Association or for your personal website, thanks for clarifying it's for your personal site.

Respond to this message   

(Login Simon102)

102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association

January 17 2013, 11:20 PM 

Hi,

This is just to let everyone know that 102 (Ceylon) Squadron Association is alive and well and increasing its membership.

I was appointed Honorary Secretary last year taking over from Tom Wingham who has been our secretary for the last 20 years. Tom is well and I see him fairly regularly as does at least one other member of the Association.

We had a very successful reunion in 2012, Chris put a report and photos on the website. Members also attended Pocklington airfield on Remembrance Day. I am currently planning the reunion for July 2013

If you would like an email copy of our last newsletter please send me your email address. You can also see what is going on by looking at the forum on the squadron website, my contact details are on there.

Apologies for the promotion but I think it is important for people to know about us while the excellent work Chris has done is on hold.

Simon

Respond to this message   

(Login thingy99)

Gerald Hadfield

January 18 2013, 10:20 AM 

Hi

Just noticed your thread and wondered if you might have any information about my great uncle. He was Gerald Hadfield service number 1047949 and a sergeant air gunner. He and his crew were shot down by a night fighter on 17th June 1944. The plane exploded in mid air and they are buried in a communal cemetery in Buren, Holland. The other crew members were John Booker (air gunner), Ernest Finch (air gunner), Enrico Zaccheo (air engineer/co pilot), Winston Reid (air observer/navigator), Eric Braddock (pilot), and Ronald Putt (air bomber). I have a photograph of the crew if anyone would be interested.

Kind Regards

Carol

Respond to this message   

(Login sdejoux)

E.E. (Ted) de Joux

March 1 2014, 6:05 AM 

Hi Chris

if you happen to come across any information or especially photographs of my late father Edward Ernest de Joux I'd be very grateful if you could pass them on. He was a rear gunner with 102 squadron from 1942 until June of 1943. He flew in Halifax 112 and his pilot was a Warrant Officer Lewis. I'm trying to piece together the full record of his war time exploits so anything you have would be of value.

Alternatively, if there's anything that I have that may be of assistance, please let me know at sdejoux1@bigpond.com. Thanks. All the best.

Simon de Joux

Respond to this message   
RogerM
(no login)

Andrew Ridley

August 19 2012, 4:34 PM 

Paul have sent you an email

Respond to this message   

(Login JonDudley)

Details of crew member

December 13 2012, 12:09 PM 

Hello All.

I'm new to this thread and seeking any information at all about my Uncle John (Jack) Dudley, Sgt. Air Gunner. He and the entire crew of his Halifax DT800 perished on the night of 25th February 1943 the plane crashed at Ardleigh near Colchester, en route to Nuremberg.Thanks to this site I know some of the details of the incident but my father, Jack's brother was naturally reluctant to talk about the loss of his only sibling at the age of just 20. Consequently I know next to nothing about him. I'm not expecting miracles but wonder if there are crew photographs, indeed any records of the missions he flew prior to this fateful one or any relatives of other crew members who have been on this forum. My grandmother (his mum) said that he volunteered to stand in for another crew member who had a date with his fiancé that night...strange the way things turn out.

I'm planning a pilgrimage to Ardleigh next year, it being the 70th Anniversary to remember him and his colleagues.

Thanks

Jon

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 102 Sqn Pocklington
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here