THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

298 Squadron, India

February 25 2005 at 3:05 PM
Lawes  (Login Lawes)
from IP address 219.78.46.235

I'm interested to know more about 298 Squadron RAF, sent to India in July 1945.

I'd like to learn about any former air crew and what they did.

I have seen all the obvious sites, such as the RAF ones, and I have registered on comradesandcolleagues.com.

As a newcomer to your site, and since you guys are the Halifax experts, can anyone point me to any websites, links, threads, photos, books, documents etc which don't appear by Googling.

Cheers

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin Cambray
(no login)

298 Squadron, India

May 14 2006, 9:54 PM 

The best site for information about 298 is

www.tarrant-rushton.ndirect.co.uk

that's where I found out a lot of material, but there's only a little on the time in India.

My father was an Air Bomber in 298, and was one of the "lucky ones" to be sent out there. Little was achieved due to storm damage to their aircraft, and the termination of the war. But I think my father had a good time out there.

Respond to this message   
Deryck Brown
(no login)

No.298 Sqdn in India.

June 22 2006, 2:17 PM 

Ray Snowdon of Guelph, Ontario provided us (working on the restoration of NA 337) with details and photos of his time in India with No. 298 Sqdn.

Sorry I have no phone number or address for him but it should be possible to locate him through the usual people search programs.

Good Luck!

Deryck B.
NA 337 Rest. Team

Respond to this message   
John Green
(no login)

Getting our knees brown with 298

August 8 2011, 5:03 PM 

298 Sqdn went from Tarrant Rushden to Raipur India July 1945, then Bilaspur after cracking up the runway at Raipur. Moved later to Digri near Salbani later in year. Did various jobs like taking a mobile interogation unit to Singapore just after the Jap surrender. Played quite an important part in the Rice Drop Feb 1946 Northen Burma,flying out of Myktila on a poor runway with maximum loads including a pannier with 50% of the load stowed for off loading at Myitkina after a freefall drop of rice sacks at the DZ near the Chinese border for the Kachins I think. Unit ended up at Risalpur near Peshawar and Mauripur before I came home in Nov 1946.

Respond to this message   
Cathy Gillespie
(Login Cunctator)

298 SQ Halifax LL293/4

August 22 2012, 11:15 PM 

In 2001, I discovered my dad was John Campbell, a Warrant Officer at RAF Dishforth, who as a Flight Sergeant, was a Flight Engineer on Halifax LL293 or 4 depending on the source, who was shot down with his Canadian crew plus one Welshman over Stavoren in Holland on Oct14-15th 1944. They were dropping supplies for the Dutch Resistance and their codename was Rummy 6. They flew from Tarrant Rushton in Dorset as part of SOE operations. All survived save the bomb aimer, Harold Ferguson, who drowned as he could not swim, but the rest were hidden by the Dutch Resistance until liberation. The question is:"Did you know this crew, and, if so, do you have any further information about them after 1945?"

Thanks

Cathy Gillespie

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Getting our knees brown with 298

May 9 2013, 1:25 PM 

Respond to this message   
Lawes
(Login Lawes)

Re: Getting our knees brown with 298

August 2 2017, 1:35 PM 

Interesting! I would like to hear more. Were you aircrew? What was your role? What was the serial letter on your aircraft?

Respond to this message   
John A. Neal
(no login)

The Halifax

May 15 2006, 4:41 AM 

I have a book titled "Halifax/Wellington" by Chaz Bowyer and Armand Van Ishoven, which is chock full of information aand pictures of both aircraft. Also many crew pictures and much Nose Art.

If you can pick up a copy of this book, I feel it would answer most of your questions.

The book was published by The Promotional Reprint Company Ltd. in Leicester, England and is ISBN 1 85648 173 5.

John

Respond to this message   
Bonza
(Login bonza1526)

298 squadron

February 13 2015, 7:13 AM 

My dad passed away this year and we never broached the subject of his involvement in WWII.
All I know is that he was a rear gunner and did a couple of years in India. Don't mind paying for info but
refuse to sign up to these subscription based ancestry sites. Basically just want to find out his existence
In the RAF! Hope somebody can help me out.

Respond to this message   
Phill casserly
(no login)

Re: 298 squadron

June 18 2017, 11:28 PM 

The raf should be able to help

Respond to this message   
Lawes
(Login Lawes)

Not many of them left I guess

August 2 2017, 1:25 PM 

298 Squadron in India had a good time, and he was lucky to be sent to the Far East instead of doing night bombing raids on German cities.

By the time they moved out, although still at war, the Japanese had been beaten and the squadron's role was one of supply. They flew 'The Hump' to supply Chiang Kai-shek's army in Chungking. They dropped rice and leaflets in Burma.

There are a lot of lovely photos posted online by a woman whose father was a mechanic with the squadron.

All the aircraft were sold for scrap in Bombay and they travelled home by troop ship.

If you tell me his name, I can ask my dad if he remembers your dad.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here