THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Thomas Austin Withers KIA

February 13 2006 at 6:42 PM
Jeanne  (no login)
from IP address 199.200.253.9

My great uncle, Thomas Austin Withers, was KIA on July 26, 1942. He left Virginia to join the RCAF before the U.S. got into the war. Information regarding him, as well as his letters and awards are circulating in our family. I have always wanted to know more though. I know he was in the 405 Squadron (Halifax W1230). I am curious as to whether there are those out there that have more information regarding my great uncle?? I know he went down in Germany and I know where his remains rest. Is there a model or picture somewhere, of his plane?? Does anyone know more of his story?

Is there a place I can go to get his service record or other information regarding his honorable and faithful service?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login Jorvik1)

Wthers

February 14 2006, 9:32 AM 

this Halifax Mk II was lost on the Hamburg raid 26/27 July 1942 and took off at 23:00

The crew were
Sgt W Smith
Sgt J A Knox
F/Sgt J V Potter RCAF
Sgt T A Withers RCAF
Sgt C Wood
Sgt R A Myers RCAF POW
Sgt R B Prentice

Smith is Buried at Becklingen the rest at Kiel. The aircraft had onlly done 2 hours 35 mins prior to the raid!

In from Chorley Bomber Command Losses 1942.

I would recommend getting the files of the pow from national archives Canada. The sqn records are available from National archives UK. Both have web sites.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2356967

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/jul42.html

Peter

Respond to this message   
Jeanne
(no login)

Tom Withers

February 15 2006, 4:53 PM 

Thanks for the info. Peter. Would you know how I could get a copy of his service record along with awards conferred, before andafter his death?

Respond to this message   
karlkj
(no login)

Thomas Withers

February 15 2006, 5:19 PM 

Dear Jeanne, How are doing? This is Karl Kj. here. Have not heard from you since we were at the Remembrance Day ceremony at Washington, D.C.
I wanted to let you know I still have the POW questionnaire filled out by the lone survivor of your Uncles's crew, Mr. Myers, after he was repatriated to the UK in 1945. He speaks about his time during capture but not his shootdown where all the rest of the crew were kia.

If you want a copy of this questionnaire I can send it to you. Is there any chance of getting a photo of You and I with Ambassador McKenna which was taken when we last met.?

There are some good researchers onthis website just for the purpose of helping out family members who want to find their air force heritage.

You can contact me at our email address listed on Halifax 57 Rescue website.

Bye for now, cheers, Karl

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Thomas Withers

March 29 2017, 3:34 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here