THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

408 Squadron Halifax "Chesty"

March 4 2006 at 7:51 AM
G Carpenter  (Login g_carpenter)
from IP address 65.92.70.187

In a small collection of photos believed taken by my grandfather late in the war at Linton-on-Ouse is a photo of a Halifax named "Chesty". I've found a few other photos of the plane on the internet but none of them show a code letter. Anyone know anything about this plane? The nose art is a lady from the waist up and a there is a dog painted below the pilot's window.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: 408 Squadron Halifax "Chesty"

March 5 2006, 4:20 PM 

C - "Chesty" adorned with a buxom female figue and a Scotty dog as nose art may have been a Halifax B MkVII of No. 408 Goose Squadron RCAF Linton-On-Ouse serialled NP780 and coded EQ-C. If so, I believe she survived the war and was sold for scrap in December of 1949.

Respond to this message   
G Carpenter
(Login g_carpenter)

Re: 408 Squadron Halifax "Chesty"

March 10 2006, 6:32 PM 

Thanks. I have the Fonderie Miniature 1/48 Halifax model and I am going to attempt to build it as "Chesty".

Respond to this message   
Robert Fulford
(no login)

Nose Art of "C" Chesty

April 23 2006, 6:06 PM 

Richard Koval's site www. rcaf.com has an good detail shot of the Nose Art adorned by "C" Chesty under the Nose Art Section but mistakenly (I believe)she is placed as an unidentified Halifax of No. 426 squadron.

Still the shot reveals the figures and the bomb tally log as well as a Tour of Duty operational wings.

Hope you get this, Gerrid - couldn't get your address to receive this directly.

B.

Respond to this message   
Ian Hamilton
(no login)

C for Chesty

May 7 2008, 7:45 PM 

As it happens my wife's father was the mid-turret gunner of EQ-C "Chesty". His name was F/O Louis C. Arsenault of Montreal, who died in 1966 and left behind his log book and - among other items - several original navigator maps drawn in flight during OPS into Germany by the navigator, F/O Donald MacKinnon,who won a Distinguished Flying Cross and was best man at her dad's wedding when they got back from the war. Chesty's pilot was F/L Gall. The bomb aimer was F/O C. Draycott of Toronto and the others in the crew of seven were F/O Kindness, F/Sgt Cline and a Pilot Officer named Dawson. A small newspaper item pasted among others in the back of the log book details an incident that must have given the crew a few needed laughs. In an attack on Dusseldorf, it says, bomb aimer Draycott narrowly missed serious injury. He was hunched over his maps in search of a landmark when a piece of flak penetrated the aircraft, grazed his knuckles and tore an oval-shaped hole in the map. Enough of the map remained to "prang" his target. "Through special arrangements with the Intelligence Section," the story concludes, "he will be permitted to retain the flak-penetrated map as a souvenir." Among the items left behind by my wife's father is a small piece of shrapnel taken out of his leg that he had placed on a key ring, still complete with his keys.

The one thing I haven't been able to find as yet, strangely enough, are pictures of Chesty. Can anyone help?

Respond to this message   
Marc Magee
(no login)

Chesty Sqn

November 14 2017, 11:10 PM 

Was your dad with 408 or 426 Sqn?

Cheers

Respond to this message   
stephen orr
(no login)

nose art for "c" chesty

June 13 2013, 11:02 PM 

looking through my fathers log book (F.S. Norris Orr) I see that he flew on this plane NP 780 call letters EQ-C
Does anyone have or know where there might be a picture of the nose art

Respond to this message   
Henry Goodall
(no login)

EQ-C 408 Sqn Halifax RAF Linton-on-Ouse

August 19 2013, 3:54 PM 

Stephen,
Your quest for a photo is over!"
Look no further than the following RAF Station website.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/raflintononouse/aboutus/memorialrm.cfm
Photo number three is an excellent photo of the Nose Art of Halifax EQ-C serial NP780, probably taken 1942 or early 1943. If you wish to contact them, write to Wing Commander Alan Mawby OBE, BSc, RAF (Ret'd), who manages the Memorial Room at RAF Linton-on-Ouse, which houses the most comprehensive record of aircraft, memorabilia and personnel stationed there in WWII.
Kind Regards,
Henry Goodall

Respond to this message   
Henry Goodall
(no login)

Additional data re EQ-C NP780

August 21 2013, 10:05 AM 

Further research suggests a later date for the photo on the Linton-on-Ouse website, as 408 Sqn was equipped with the Halifax Mk III/VII from September 1944 to May 1945. W/C Alan Mawby will be able to provide further details.
Henry Goodall.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here