THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Halifax Bomber Crash

June 26 2006 at 1:18 PM
VLord  (Login VLord)
from IP address 62.254.64.16

Can anyone help me with info into a Halifax crash that occurred on October 22nd or 23rd 1943.
This Halifax V DK-182 coded ZL-E came down nr Newton Kyme (N Yorks) on return from a bombing mission at kassel and all were killed. I believe that the six man RAF crew flying with W/OD Welch were in 427 Squadron based at Croft.
My interest in this crash is that one of the crew, Sgt J Procter was a family friend back then and as a child I remember seeing a photo of this very handsome young man. Alas we no longer have this photo but my mother still remembers him. I would love to learn why this aircraft crashed or to visit the crash site if I could get the exact location. There are photos of crash sites on the net but I cannot find this one. Any info would be appreciated.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Eddie Fell
(no login)

DK182

June 26 2006, 3:34 PM 

The crash occurred at 21.15hrs on 22/10/43. The aircraft had taken off from Leeming at 17.25hrs on Ops to Kassel and was returning early when it crashed. This suggests, but not conclusively that it may have been a problem with some part of the aircraft system. The accidentreport (which I don't have) may give further clues

Hope this helps a little

Eddie

Respond to this message   
Vanessa Lord
(Login VLord)

Halifax Bomber Crash

July 4 2006, 1:53 PM 

Thanks for that info Eddie. Do you have any details of the exact location or where I might find a photo of the crew or crash site......Vanessa

Respond to this message   
Eddie Fell
(no login)

Re: Halifax Bomber Crash

July 4 2006, 6:00 PM 

Hi Vanessa

Unfortunately I only have the same as you - Newton Kyme which is between Tadcater and Boston Spa.

Respond to this message   
Richard Bourne
(no login)

Re: Halifax Bomber Crash

August 25 2006, 12:57 PM 

Hi,

The site is visible on the road from Tadcaster to Boston Spa. Look to the left at the line of trees that go along the deserted railway line. Where the trees are shorter that is where the bomber went throught and were destroyed by fire.

Respond to this message   
Vanessa Lord
(no login)

Halifax Bomber Crash

October 3 2006, 12:50 PM 

Thanks for that Richard.

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login Haliman)

Halifax Crash

October 12 2006, 1:42 PM 

Hi, I visited the site at Newton Kyme about 18 years ago. The aircraft came down beside a railway line embankment (now disused) and caught fire. The aircraft was totally destroyed in the fire which also burnt down the surrounding trees. At the time of my visit the trees had recovered but you could clearly see the new growth and damage to older trees. Despite exploring the ground nothing was found.

Respond to this message   
Vanessa Lord
(no login)

Halifax Bomber Crash

October 15 2006, 4:52 PM 

Thanks for the info Chris. Can you actually get to the site from the main Road? I will be down that area in a few weeks and wondered whether It would be worth me taking some photos. Regards.....Vanessa

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login Haliman)

Halifax Crash

October 16 2006, 2:35 PM 

Hi Venessa,

As far as I remember site of the crash is on the left hand side of the A659 from Tadcaster. Just before the turning to Newton Kyme (on the right) if you look to your left you will see the disused railway embankment and the trees. The site of the impact is just before the dismantled railway bridge about 100 yards from the road. You should be able to cross the field to gain entry to the wooded area. Have a look on multimap as the OS map and aerial photo is useful. I dont know too much about what caused the aircraft to come down although I understood that severe icing caused the Halifax to crash. At the time of my visit I was in the area researching for my book on No.4 Group 'From Hull, Hell and Halifax'.
If you do visit you may find that, like all these former crash sites, you will be moved by the thought of the suffering and sacrifice of our gallant airman.

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login Haliman)

Halifax Crash

October 17 2006, 4:24 PM 

Vennessa,

Further to my message re the site visit I came across an account of the crash in 'Aircraft Down air crashes around Wetherby 1939-45' by Brian Lunn and Gavin Harland published in 1985. According to the authors the pilot was W/O Welsh with an all RAF crew. Welsh was forced to return early because of overheating of the starboard inner engine. After dropping the bombs in the north sea Welsh headed back to Leeming. Unfortunately the oil pressure began to drop in the port outer engine which had to be shut down. Flying on two engines and now effected by icing the Halifax lost height rapidly, striking some tree tops in Newton Kyme before crashing near the railway.
Incidently at the time of writing (1985) the authors had an identity tag from one of the crew found at the site. This was maked 1393374 Dutton E.J RAF.
The crew were named as: Pilot W/O DH Welsh; F/Eng Sgt JH Proctor; Nav Sgt EJ Dutton; B/A Sgt KA Brown; W/O Sgt PJ Moore; M/U Sgt JI McCullagh; R/G Sgt DO Collen.

Respond to this message   
Vanessa Lord
(no login)

Halifax Bomber crash

October 20 2006, 8:50 AM 

Thanks, I didn't know John Proctor was navigator so I've learnt something there. I will see if I can borrow a copy of this book from my library.....Vanessa

Respond to this message   
Matt Fawcett
(no login)

DK182 site

August 1 2008, 5:46 PM 

Hi there

I was at this site today, and found a 1ft squarish piece of armour plating and various sother items including molten engine parts. The area is easy to see from the road due to the obvious younger trees in the plantation.

Respond to this message   
Mike. Harrison
(Login Mike.Harrison)

Halifax DK182

August 2 2008, 8:05 AM 

Hi Vanessa,

the link below maybe of interest.

Mike.

http://www.rcaf.com/6group/Oct43/Oct22~2343.html

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here