THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

JN910 - Crew Info

December 20 2006 at 12:22 PM
lookingforgrandad  (Login gemsthirdgirl)
from IP address 211.31.230.16

Hi, i'm searching for any information on Sgt Sidney John Smith who died on JN910 in 1943. Any information no matter how small or insignificant would be very much appreciated. Researching family history and need to find Sidney and his family etc. Many thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Linzee
(no login)

138 Sqdn Halifax Loss

December 20 2006, 2:42 PM 

Hi,

I looked up Sgt S J Smith on the CWGC website and found this entry for him http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1807577

It states that he was Son of James and Mary Ann Smith; husband of Jamesina Smith, of Armadale, West Lothian.

He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

The entry for this loss in RAF Bomber Command Losses 1943 by W R Chorley is as follows:-
15 September 1943 - 138 Squadron Halifax II JN910 NF-K took off 1759 from RAF Tempsford on an SOE operation named Operation Flat 22 and headed for a dropping zone code named Kufer 208. While homebound, hit by flak and crashed in the Baltic off R├╝genwalde. Those who died are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. The list of crew onboard as follows, all died with the exception of Sgt A S Dove who was taken POW.
F/O E C Hart
Sgt A S Dove
Sgt K C Windsor RCAF
F/O J D L Cloutier RCAF
Sgt K R Norie
Sgt L C Gay
Sgt S J Smith
Sgt W H Mudge

I hope the above is of some assistance to you.

Regards
Linzee

Respond to this message   
peter spiers
(no login)

Sidney John smith

February 25 2017, 9:33 PM 

I was researching my uncle Sidney Smith RAF service number 1152993 and came across your entry as his granddaughter I would appreciate your contacting me .

Peter spiers son of Louisa Smith .

Respond to this message   
peter spiers
(Login mgbsa)

I am son of Lousa smith sister of Sidney

February 25 2017, 10:03 PM 

I as researching the records of Sidney John Smith and was intrigued by your entry which would make us related!
Please email me at Spiers@boscominternational.com so we may discuss further.

Best wishes

Peter spiers

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here