THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hali HX313

May 8 2008 at 1:04 AM
Bill Nurse  (no login)
from IP address 24.226.117.23

Am researching Hali HX313...Understand it crashed at Bourg Leopold, Belgium on 27/28 May 1944. Looking for names of the crew, their home country, and any available details of the mission

William(Bill) Nurse...RCAF Ret'd...Researcher
National Air Force Museum of Canada...
Lest We forget...www.airforcemuseum.ca

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paul
(Login MZ924)

Re: Hali HX313

May 8 2008, 4:49 PM 

27/28 May 1944 Bourg-Leopold

331 aircraft - 267 Halifaxes, 56 Lancasters, 8 Mosquitoes - to attack the military camp.
9 Halifaxes and 1 Lancaster lost. 3.0 per cent of the force.
1 Oboe-aimed target indicator fell right on the target and the bombing which followed caused severe damage to the camp. No further details are available.

(from: "Bomber Command War Diaries" by Middlebrook & Everitt)

424 Sqn Halifax III HX313 QB-B Op: Bourg-Leopold

F/L B L Mallett RCAF evd (pilot)
F/O W J Elliott RCAF evd (2nd pilot)
Sgt M Muir RAF evd (flight engineer)
F/O R A Irwin RCAF + (navigator)
WO2 K C Sweatman RCAF evd (air bomber)
Sgt W G Wakely RCAF + (wireless operator)
Sgt G F Freeman RCAF + (mid upper gunner)
F/S V Poppa RCAF pow (rear gunner)

T/o 23:45 Skipton-on-Swale to bomb the military camp. Shot down by a night-fighter and crashed at Oostham-Langven (Limburg), 6km WSW of Leopoldsburg, Belgium. Funeral services for the three who died were held on 30 May at St-Ttuiden; their remains have since been taken to Heverlee War Cemetery.

(from: "Bomber Command Losses" vol 5 1944, by Chorley)

Name: IRWIN, ROBERT AUBREY
Initials: R A
Nationality: Canadian
Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Air Force
Date of Death: 28/05/1944
Service No: J/14212
Additional information: Son of Frank Aubrey and Ella May Irwin; husband of Audrey Kathleen Irwin.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 5. D. 2.
Cemetery: HEVERLEE WAR CEMETERY

Name: WAKELY, WILFRED GEORGE
Initials: W G
Unit Text: 424 Sqdn.
Service No: J/86982
Additional information: Son of Walter Burrows Wakely and Susanna Wakely, of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Grave/Memorial Reference: 5. D. 1.

Name: FREEMAN, GEORGE FRANK
Initials: G F
Unit Text: 424 Sqdn.
Service No: J/88397
Grave/Memorial Reference: 5. D. 3.

(from: http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14 )

Paul(MZ924)

Respond to this message   
Sue Kershaw (nee Wakely)
(no login)

Halifax HX313

April 17 2013, 7:58 PM 

Hello Bill

I am the niece of Wilfred Wakely who died the night the HX313 crashed.

This past year, I have put together a PowerPoint presentation about that crew and the fateful night using photos from Uncle Wilf and diary entries from several of the crewmen.

I would be happy to share it

Sue

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login MikeHarrison)

Halifax HX313.

April 18 2013, 6:25 AM 

Hi Bill,

the Halifax was shot down by Oblt.Hans-Heinz Augenstein of 12./NJG1
On the night of 27/28 May 1944 he had three claims:-

over Bourg-Leopold: 2.300 m 02.13 420 Sqn MZ502, 424 Sqn HX313 or 432 Sqn LK811

over Bourg-Leopold: 2.600 m 02.15 420 Sqn MZ502, 424 Sqn HX313 or 432 Sqn LK811

over Bourg-Leopold: 2.600 m 02.17 420 Sqn MZ502, 424 Sqn HX313 or 432 Sqn LK811

(source- Nachtjagd War Diaries vol 2 : Theo Boiten)

Regards,
Mike

Respond to this message   
Sue Kershaw
(Login Sue.Kershaw)

Halifax HX313

January 2 2014, 5:08 PM 

Hello Bill

Sometime ago, I answered your query re: details of the mission but I'm not sure you got that email.

I have put together a PowerPoint presentation on the last flight of Halifax HX313 using family pictures and letters & journal entries from several of the fliers. I would be happy to share it

I put it together for my granddaughter's school class and like to show it at schools when possible.

Do you know if any of the surviving fliers are still alive?

Best wishes

Sue Kershaw
Salmon Arm BC
250-833-1820

Respond to this message   
Hans Volders
(Login Beverloo)

Halifax HX313

March 18 2014, 8:20 PM 

Hello Bill and Sue,

I'm Hans Volders, 37 years old now and I live near Oostham Langven in Belgium.
I used to live in de Zuidstraat in Belgium Beverloo.
This was the street which was bombed in the night of 11 and 12 may 1944.
Bombing the Zuidstraat was a mistake by the RAF, because they thougt they bombed 'Het Kamp van Beverloo' namely 'Bourg Leopold'.... These are two villages next to each other.

Beverloo is a village en het 'Kamp van Beverloo' was a Belgian military camp occupied by the German in WWII. Afther the war 'Het kamp van Beverloo' became 'Bourg-Leopold'.
So you can see why the RAF made a mistake on the map...

Now I'm busy with the history of my region and plane crashes and 'dogfights'during WWII.

One plane which crashed on 11 and 12 may in the Zuidstraat was the LL792 from 467 sqn RAAF.
A friend of me digged up the motor of the missing Lancaster.

http://www.aviationheritage.eu/nl/content/monument-slachtoffers-bombardement-zuidstraat-tuinwijk-beverlo-lancastermotor-ll792-po-e

Another plane which crashed nearby Beverloo on the night the RAF bombed Bourg-Leopold is the Halifax HX313, which crashed in Oostham less more then a week later. During the war my uncle was a young boy and he was by that plane when it was crashed. People from the resistance out of Oostham were the first by the plane to try to rescue crew members. To get the tailgunner out of the plane they had to remove a machine gun. My uncle took it home and had to bury it by my grandfather. Because the war still wasn't over. A pitty is the fact it is still buried somewhere....

Does someone of you still have pictures of the plane and crewmembers of the Halifax HX313?

Friendly regards,
Hans

Respond to this message   
Carl Geubbelmans
(no login)

Halifax find (compass)

March 19 2014, 11:13 PM 

Hello readers,

Searching for coins, my friend and I found a compass dial on the site which later that day appeared to be the crasch sit of the Halifax mentioned.
This got me triggered, and has lead me to this forum.
Like Hans, I would also like to know more about the history and the people involved.
If you want, I can send you a picture of the dial we found. (can't find a way to post it here)
And Sue, if you want, I'd like to watch your PowerPoint presentation.

If my contact info isn't shown, you can mail me at carl.geubbelmans@telenet.be

Respond to this message   
Sue Kershaw
(Login SueinCanoe)

Last flight of HX313

October 13 2017, 2:56 AM 

Hello Carl

I am SO sorry I didn't notice your posting. I hadn't created a Network 54 account so wasn't notified of your reply. I hope you are still connected to this site, and I would love to send you my PowerPoint by DropBox.

Since I posted, much has happened:

• I was contacted by Hans Volders (see above), a young Belgian fellow whose uncle attended the scene that night while resistance workers were looking for survivors
• With Han's information, I added the Belgian side of the story as well as updated facts about the three deaths to my PowerPoint
• I met with Hans and his friends this May -- they are all keen "historians" of HX313 and WWII in general. One man gave me a piece of the engine cowling that he found in a nearby field and they are all interested in helping me get a memorial erected
• I also met with Olivier Nicoloff, Canada's Ambassador to Belgium, in Brussels. He told me that while the Canadian government can't support the project in a financial way, he certainly would like to take part in any commemoration. His attache observed that the RCAF hasn't likely been represented in any memorials in Belgium.
• I am reaching out to Squadron 424 next to see if they will support the project. I am optimistic because the family of 408 Squadron Lancaster Bomber LL687 EQ*M erected a similar memorial in Bremervorde, Germany, this summer to honor the flyers of that downed plane.

Best wishes

Sue
sue.kershaw@shaw.ca

Respond to this message   
Carl Geubbelmans
(no login)

Halifax find (compass)

March 19 2014, 11:14 PM 

Hello readers,

Searching for coins, my friend and I found a compass dial on the site which later that day appeared to be the crach sit of the Halifax mentioned.
Like Hans, I would also like to know more about the history and the people involved.
If you want, I can send you a picture of the dial we found. (can't find a way to post it here)

Respond to this message   
Carl Geubbelmans
(no login)

Halifax find (compass)

March 19 2014, 11:15 PM 

Hello readers,

Searching for coins, my friend and I found a compass dial on the site which later that day appeared to be the crash sit of the Halifax mentioned.

Respond to this message   

Andy Muir
(Login Porcupine1)

Halifax HX313 QB-B

April 4 2015, 5:15 PM 

Hi Sue, doing some research on behalf of my father whose cousin was Maurice Muir - Flight Engineer on HX313, I'd be interested in your presentation if available.

Respond to this message   
Sue Kershaw
(Login SueinCanoe)

Last flight of HX313

October 13 2017, 2:52 AM 

Hello Andy

I am SO sorry that I didn't know about your posting. I hope you are still connected to this site.

Since I posted, much has happened:

• I was contacted by Hans Volders (see above), a young Belgian fellow whose uncle attended the scene that night while resistance workers were looking for survivors
• With Han's information, I added the Belgian side of the story as well as updated facts about the three deaths to my PowerPoint
• I met with Hans and his friends this May -- they are all keen "historians" of HX313 and WWII in general. One man gave me a piece of the engine cowling that he found in a nearby field and they are all interested in helping me get a memorial erected
• I also met with Olivier Nicoloff, Canada's Ambassador to Belgium, in Brussels. He told me that while the Canadian government can't support the project in a financial way, he certainly would like to take part in any commemoration. His attache observed that the RCAF hasn't likely been represented in any memorials in Belgium.
• I am reaching out to Squadron 424 next to see if they will support the project. I am optimistic because the family of 408 Squadron Lancaster Bomber LL687 EQ*M erected a similar memorial in Bremervorde, Germany, this summer to honor the flyers of that downed plane.

Best wishes

Sue
sue.kershaw@shaw.ca

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here