THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

148 Squadron, (Special Duties-S.O.E.)

November 22 2009 at 12:44 PM
Terry Maker  (Login TerryMaker)
from IP address 86.164.255.166

"Hi all,

As some of you may be aware. I am searching for information on 148 Squadron, (Special Duties-S.O.E), R.A.F, and my cousin who was lost in the shoot-down of Halifax JP292-FS-W, "W-William", and there are posts re:that, on other parts of this forum.

Whilst my personal search is now almost over, there are others, in similar circumstances, reasearching their own lost ones. There is literally NO, forum for that particular period in R.A.F. - S.O.E. history, for the period of WWII, until now!

As a member of this Forum, and several others that helped me no end in my search, I decided to try to fill that particular niche. The inspiration is the need to keep the history alive, and as that generation passes, the living history is dying with them. There is need for all parties to see that it lives on.

The invitation is open to all having an interest, to visit, and hopefully, join the group OPERATION: Dark of the Moon at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/operationdarkofthemoon/

The group began just a few days ago, and is currently still under construction, however some of my own files have been uploaded, to get the ball rolling. one of those is "Missing... Believed Killed", the story of Halifax JP292-FS-W, "W-William", and my cousin, Fl/Sgt L.J.Smith Air Gunner/Dispatcher.

Regards

Terry Maker"

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Karl Kj
(no login)

SOE navigator

December 6 2009, 2:19 PM 

Dear Terry, I attended a Nov 10, 2009 symposium for Remembrance day in Ottawa, Ontario. The only air force presentation was by an RCAF navigator who was with an RAF SOE squadron out of Brindisi.

He only gave an overview of his ops as he was taliking about the sacrifice as the priority. he gave me his name and I can give you this but I have to find his name again in my notes. He lives in Ottawa but I do not know if he has email.

I asked him if he was on Hallies and he said yes. He MIGHT be 148 sq. but I cannot recall right now. ANY nav of SOE is a rare bird !

Please contact me at 57rescuecanadaATrogers.com (replacing the AT with the proper symbol) and I will get you the info on this Nav.

I was project manager for the underwater recovery of SOE Halifax NA337 -644 Sq. from Norway in 1995. They may have SOE info at their museum in Trenton, Ontario but they are slow responders.

Contact me if you would like.

Cheers, Karl Kjarsgaard
Calgary, Alberta area

Respond to this message   
Terry Maker
(no login)

Further to

January 9 2010, 12:22 PM 

Further to my earlier post, I have now created two searchable databases on the OPERATION:Dark of the Moon group site.

The first is of 148 Aircrew, and their last known status, currently standing at 128 members, (gaps need filling!), and,

the second, is of all the known Halifax's in BOMBER configuration, (No S.O.E. Specials yet, early days!), and their manufacturers.

It's easy to read between the lines to find the 'Specials', after all, a serial number is a serial number, for a reason.

Drop me an email at the listed address, or join via the group.

Terry

Respond to this message   
Edward Fennell
(no login)

148 Squadron

January 21 2011, 1:44 AM 

Hi, I'm researching the RAF career of my uncle George Fennell who was a member of 148 Squadron in 1943. Subsequent to his return to the Uk in 1944 he was killed in an air acident just before D Day.

IN the Summer of 1943, however, he seems to have been involved in a number of SOE operations flying out of North Africa across the eastern med.

I have his log book which contains a mass of operation titles which I am keen to decipher.

If you have any suggestions as to how i might do this or sources of further information I would be keen to hear them! (I am brand new to this).

Best Wishes

Edward Fennell

Respond to this message   
Terry Maker
(Login TerryMaker)

Re George Fennell

March 2 2011, 5:32 PM 

Hi sorry for the delay in replying, but things can get pretty hectic around here during the house re-modelling!

I've looked on the database for him but as yet no success, but as my database only covers 148 Sqdn for the period Mar 43 to E-O-H, (the Brindisi period), he could have been "X" flight, and been transferred to another squadron when they were disbanded in March 43, that being the case I would have no records of him!

However, if you go here:https://sites.google.com/site/148squadronspecialduties/file-cabinet

you will find David Waters History of 148 including the period you mention, he may have been mentioned in the book.

Hope that this helps.

Regards.

Terry M

Respond to this message   
Ann Sterenberg
(no login)

148 Squadron

October 17 2012, 7:24 PM 

Dear Terry

Firstly - thank you very much for setting up this forum.

I don't think I can help with your search but I hope you may be interested in my information. My father, alive but may not be for long, was a navigator with 148 Squadron from June 1944 until April 1945. He flew on Wellington, Stirling and Halifax aircraft. His pilot was Bert Hanmore (they called themselves Hanmore's heros!). Bert died a few years ago in Basingstoke UK. The other crew were Lloyd MacDonald ( a Canadian from St Stephen now sadly suffering from Alzheimers), Cam Currie (also Canadian), Jim Hillier from London England (my father has lost touch with him and I haven't been able to trace him but no record of his death) A Ross and Ron. My father's name is Walter Potts from London England.

One of the crew - possibly Cam - took lots of photos and gave copies to my father. Many of these are shots of the aircraft in flight but there are some photos of crew - and some of these photos were of other crews. We still have the album. Bert sprained his ankle at one point and couldn't fly. My father then flew with other crews until Bert was back.

If any contributors know Ron's surname that would be appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in the photos I may be able to scan copies.

Kind regards
Ann

Respond to this message   
Rosemary Edmeads
(no login)

Crew photos of 148 Squadron Brindisi

January 6 2013, 4:09 AM 

Hi Ann,

I have just read your post.

I am interested in the photos you have of crews stationed in Brindisi with 148 Squadron 1944 to 1945.
My dad Sgt John Rae was stationed there May through August 1944. He flew with Ft.Lt. James McCall crew. Sadly their plane F.T.R. on August 4/5th mission. My dad Ft Lt McCall and Sgt Aspinall were killed. The other four crew were able to bale out and with the help of various partisan groups returned to the UK in march 1945. That night was a disastrous night for 148 Squadron.

In 2010 a Polish TV documentary of the crash of JP 162 and excavation was made and parts of the plane found. I have been able to make contact with the documentary producer, the aviation historian and the homeowner of the house which sits on the site. A small exhibit has been set up at the Home Army Museum in Krakow. I am planning a visit this summer to meet everyone and am making a collection of the information I have found in my research to take with me.

It would be wonderful if one of the pictures you have were of the crew of JP 162.

I look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards
Rosemary Edmeads

Respond to this message   
Karen
(Login princeofspies)

Re: 148 Squadron

June 5 2013, 6:15 PM 

Hi Ann

I am a newcomer to this site - but my father-in-law Ron Moore served with 148 Squadron at the time in question and may be your unknown crew member. I am keen for further information to give my husband. Due to health problems caused by his war service Ron was unable tell his story whilst he was alive, and now the family would like to understand a bit more.

Any pointers you can give would be welcome

Karen

Respond to this message   
Steve Andrews
(no login)

148 Squadron yahoo group

September 14 2013, 11:48 PM 

Hi Karen
You would be very welcome at the Yahoo group dedicated to 148 Squadron for the time you are talking about.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/operationdarkofthemoon/info?tab=s
Will be able to get you signed up and sort a folder for any info you want to share. Also post your research and I'm sure we will be able to help.
Steve A

Respond to this message   
Sharon
(Login andrulot)

rear gunner Campbell Currie

November 11 2015, 7:25 PM 

Ann,
I am overwhelmed with joy that I have found your posting. And so fitting on Remembrance day too. I hope this forum is still checked (fingers crossed).

My Grandpa Cam flew with the 148 out of Blida, Algeria. All I have had for information were the photos passed down. You are absolutely right that he took pictures and they are fantastic. I only have 5 of them, and would be happy to share with anyone who has interest. Ann, would you be able to share the ones you have - that perhaps I may not?

He also flew with the 624 out of England/Northern France and am wondering if any of the same crew were with him there? Campbell Currie, born in Scotland 1916, passed away in Alberta, Canada in 1989 (If I remember correctly).
Thanks kindly,
Sharon

Respond to this message   
Sharon
(Login andrulot)

pictures of Campbell Currie and squadron

September 7 2016, 5:26 PM 

Hi Ann,
Thought I would try one more time to see if you are checking this forum. I would really love a scanned photo of my Grandpa Cam or any photos that you said he had taken of "Hanmores Heros"!
skinnyy@yahoo.com

Respond to this message   
Jonathan
(Login jonny23561)

148 Sqn Algeria

January 11 2017, 5:40 PM 

Hello Ann

I was very interested to read your post.

Can you contact me via this site please as I have some questions for you.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Respond to this message   
Brianne Bellio
(no login)

Image permission

November 10 2017, 12:13 PM 

Hi Ann,

I have some questions about your image collection. Could you contact me on here.

Thank you,

Brianne

Respond to this message   
Ann Sterenberg
(no login)

148 Squadron

October 17 2012, 7:27 PM 

Dear Terry

Firstly - thank you very much for setting up this forum.

I don't think I can help with your search but I hope you may be interested in my information. My father, alive but may not be for long, was a navigator with 148 Squadron from June 1944 until April 1945. He flew on Wellington, Stirling and Halifax aircraft. His pilot was Bert Hanmore (they called themselves Hanmore's heros!). Bert died a few years ago in Basingstoke UK. The other crew were Lloyd MacDonald ( a Canadian from St Stephen now sadly suffering from Alzheimers), Cam Currie (also Canadian), Jim Hillier from London England (my father has lost touch with him and I haven't been able to trace him but no record of his death) A Ross and Ron. My father's name is Walter Potts from London England.

One of the crew - possibly Cam - took lots of photos and gave copies to my father. Many of these are shots of the aircraft in flight but there are some photos of crew - and some of these photos were of other crews. We still have the album. Bert sprained his ankle at one point and couldn't fly. My father then flew with other crews until Bert was back.

If any contributors know Ron's surname that would be appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in the photos I may be able to scan copies.

Kind regards
Ann

Respond to this message   
Alan
(no login)

Re: 148 Squadron

October 18 2012, 2:42 PM 

Ann,
These are the crew names,
W/O A.J. Hanmore.
F/Sgt J.R. Hillier.
F/Sgt W.F. Potts.
Sgt A. Rose.
Sgt R. McAlister.
F/Sgt C. Currie.
F/Sgt L.B. McDonald.

Would love scans of the photo's if possible.
Regards...Alan.

Respond to this message   
Sharon
(Login andrulot)

Thank you!

November 11 2015, 7:39 PM 

Alan,
f/Sgt C. Currie is my Grandpa Campbell Currie from Canada (born in Scotland). Here is a photo of him and his crew in Blida, Algeria 1944. Can people help me identify them?
(Rear Gunner Campbell Currie is on the far right when viewing photo).

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Sharon
(Login andrulot)

Photographs with names of the crew.

November 12 2015, 3:44 PM 

Hello All,
I found out Cam wrote on the back of the airplane photo: "Crew, Ron, Jim, Wally, Bert, Al, Mac and Cam". So, here is an updated photo with name listing. The second photo with Green writing - I have guessed by face association of who they are (I think I have them correct - but if not, please correct.) Thanks!

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Bradley Jones
(no login)

Sgt L.J.Smith

January 13 2016, 11:05 AM 

Sgt L.J.Smith ... Lenny smith is my great uncle. i know this has been here a while but my nan always spoke of him and i wanted to find out more info as i have only been shown pictures of him.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here