THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Shot down over St.Saire, can you identify this oil painting

June 11 2011 at 11:13 PM
Ross  (Login Macsgrafs)
from IP address 86.186.150.111

My late father was on a run over St.Saire in France to drop bombs on a V1 site? His pilot was Ramond Rosen. I cant really remember the other crew members names apart from my late father, Sgt Andrew (Jock) Mckinnon. Here is the photo painted by his wireless op or so I remember.
[linked image]

I was thinking of going over to St.Saire to find the spot the aircraft came down on, I did hear there was a monument to the crew on the site.

Regards
Ross McKinnon

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike Harrison
(Login Mike.Harrison)

Halifax painting

June 13 2011, 7:03 AM 

Hi Ross,

cannot identify the serial number from the painting? however information below regarding your fathers crew:-

Halifax MZ584 Z-AV
10 Squadron
1/2 July 1944

Airborne 1514 1Jul44 from Melbourne to attack the V-1 Site at St- Martin l_Hortier.Shot down by Flak, crashing at 1718 at la Montagne, 6 km E of Neufch_tel. Those killed are buried in Poix-de- la-Somme. at 35, F/O Lelliott was above the average age of operational aircrew. F/O R.A.Rosen KIA Sgt D.Daley KIA F/S H.C.Williamson-Rattray KIA F/O J.C.Lelliott KIA Sgt G.S.Lind KIA Sgt A.S.Fordham KIA Sgt A.W.D.McKinnon Evd.

The wireless operator was Sgt Gordon Seymour Lind

see link below regarding grave marker for crew.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://aerosteles.net/fiche.php%3Fcode%3Dnesles-anglais%26type%3Dpd%26valeur%3D40%26lang%3Dfr&ei=-6b1Ta2DEsPAhAeotKTGBg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHALIFAX%2BMZ584%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D643%26prmd%3Divns

Mike.

Respond to this message   
Danny Crossman
(Login dcrossman)

Sgt McKinnon

July 6 2016, 10:54 PM 

Hi Ross

Your late father and the rest of the crew were originally part of my great uncle's crew (Sgt TA (Tommy)Crossman) in 10 Sqn. He was shot down in LV858 ZA-J on his 2nd trip as a second pilot on 10/11 April 1944. Your father and the rest of the crew would have then had to find a new pilot after Tommy was posted missing (he survived and was POW).

I'm trying to trace his pre-10 Sqn history and and researching his crew that would have been formed at 10 OTU in Abingdon back in August 1943 and then went to 1663 HCU at RAF Rufforth. They would have all been friends and lived and trained together I imagine.

If you have any history info or your fathers flight log book, I'd sure be interested in the details.

best regards

Danny

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here