THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Halifax bb214

January 17 2012 at 6:36 PM
  (Login karpkatcher)
from IP address 94.5.145.47

I would like pics of two crew of the above aircraft. The front gunner, john joseph carey, RCAF. and Tail gunner, john louis maclachlan, RAF. Or if anyone might have knowledge of the two families, or where i might start looking, then i would be extremly gratefull.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
HP man
(no login)

Carey and Maclachlan

February 17 2012, 6:50 PM 

Carey (RCAF service number R53908) of RAF 103 Sq. was a Canadian from Winnipeg, Manitoba and his parents names were Leo and Janet Carey from Ottawa, Ontario.

Maclachlan was a Brit (RAF service number 1563387)of 103 Sq. His father Henry was most likely a WW1 vet as he was awarded a MILITARY MEDAL called a MM and he won a bar (a second MM) so was a distinguished soldier. You could probably find the hometown in the UK from tracking down the father's awards from WW1.

Vincent Morrison was also on this Halifaxand was killed ( RCAF J8627)and he was from Ottawa, Ontario

3 crew of the Halifax BB214 survived and became POW. One was Australian, one was New Zealander, and one was a Brit. do not have their names.

Another Brit is also MIA and from the crew of BB214, do not know his name.

Hope this helps. Cheers, HPman

Respond to this message   
Ray
(Login karpkatcher)

bb214

February 17 2012, 11:03 PM 

HPman

Thanks for the info, i will start searching. I have loads of stuff on the rest of the crew, and am in touch with thier families, but info on the front gunner (Carey is believed to still be in the plane) and the tail gunner (Maclachlan was found floating in the lake, the tail section having broke off)is very thin indeed.

The pilot (my father-in-law) H.G.Dryhurst died in a training flight at luton in 1967. Until last month we all believed the navigator was killed in a road accident in the 1950s, the German authorities got it wrong, he died of natural causes in the 80s. The mid upper turret gunner also lived into the 80s.
I will crack on, see what i can find out and get back to you to let you know how i get on.
Many Thanks Ray.

Respond to this message   
hpman
(no login)

more info

February 18 2012, 3:36 AM 

I am interested in the entire crew. What do you have on the crash site and crew.

From my team I have lots of info available. What are U missing?

Cheers, hpman

Respond to this message   
Ray
(no login)

BB214

February 25 2012, 2:46 PM 

Hi,
I have plenty of stuff on most things, what i would really like is a picture of SGT. J.J.Maclachlan, and the same for SGT. Carey or contact with thier families.
Sorry i was slow to respond, i have just got back from Portugal, and thanks for your offer of help.
Ray.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Halifax bb214
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here