THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Halifax on Test from Ringway

November 18 2013 at 6:40 PM
Rol  (Login Charliesaunt)
from IP address 86.10.249.36

Anybody have details of an incident on 11th or 18th March 1944 (the dates may not be correct) when a Halifax on a test-flight from Ringway crashed in the Sandiway Cheshire district, killing the two occupants, civillian test Pilot R Huxley (buried Alerley Cheshire),& Eng Geoffrey A Leadbeater (buried Woodford) they may have been in Haliax's NA507 or LK802 or LK801 or not!.
Reported in the 11PAFU ORB RAF Calverley Cheshire. The report states "Ambulance called to a Halifax crash. The aircraft which was on a test flight from Ringway crashed in flames. Both occupants a civillian pilot and engineer killed instantly. The bodies were removed to the police mortuary at Winsford."
As this aircraft had not been allocated to the RAF, it has been difficult to find the facts.

Many Thanks,
Rol

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
David
(Login balcombe)

Halifax on test from Ringway

January 26 2014, 6:53 PM 

The pilot of this aircraft was my father. The date of the crash was March the 18th and the serial number of the aircraft according to the death certificate was LK 836 or LK826. I am interested in where you got the place of burial since my father was buried in the graveyard at St. Leonard's church Turners Hill sussex. The crash site was in Lob Slack field Oakmere, Cheshire.

Sincerely

David Huxley

Respond to this message   
Mike Spathaky
(no login)

Crash at Oakmere Cheshire 18 March 1944

August 2 2016, 4:03 AM 

My father Ron Spathaky (1914-2013) witnessed this crash. On 19th March 1944 he wrote to my mother from Heffersden Grange as follows:

Yesterday I went for a long walk away from the hospital towards Delamere, a little village I used to know... On the way back I saw an aeroplane accident, but I'd better not say anything about it in case it's security...

I expect you will find this snippet tantalising. I can assure you that there is nothing more about this accident in any of his letters and he never mentioned it to me duruing his (long) life. Then he never talked much about his wartime service at all.

Best Wishes,

Mike Spathaky

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here