THIS PAGE VIA "57 RESCUE"
www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Z - zombie

January 26 2014 at 12:52 PM
Michael Errington  (Login michaelerrington)
from IP address 82.34.152.234

Hello there

I am researching our family history, my grandfather was Roy Errington rear gunner in z zombie , I have a photo of him and 3 members of the crew standing outside Z zombie with a large flak hole which I think looking at the forum happened on Christmas eve one year.

We have few family records so if anybody could help with any background info on my grandfather the crew or the plane that would be great

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alan
(Login AlanGW)

Re: Z - zombie

January 26 2014, 2:15 PM 

Michael,
Are there any other letters visible on the Halifax, to establish which squadron he was with.
Alan

Respond to this message   
Michael
(Login michaelerrington)

Z zombie

January 27 2014, 7:11 PM 

Hi Alan my Grandfather was in 158 squadron, I have been going through some things yesterday and there are some great stuff anecdotal stuff, through to escape photos and the scarf he wore on every operation for luck, I have evn found a photo of the whole crew and some names for them I think

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login AlanGW)

Re: Z zombie

January 28 2014, 2:46 PM 

Hi Michael,
Can you tell me approx, when he was with 158 please
Alan.

Respond to this message   
BarryR
(no login)

Zombie

May 1 2014, 11:07 AM 

There's a crew photo of Zombie elsewhere on the net, I've just found it and d'loaded it because the original was over our sideboard for years until my father died 31 years ago - he's centre front (ground crew) and painted on the nose art. I remember the story from the 50's, he said you could have driven a Morris 8 through the gaping hole (caused by flak exploding the oxygen bottles). The Pater was turned down for aircrew in '38 - eyes, and was shot at only once that he remembered during hostilities, and that was by the ack-ack battery at Sewerby on a 'test' flight ( some jolly that turned out to be!).

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login LV907NPF)

Zombie

May 1 2014, 5:02 PM 

Hi Michael

There is a photograph of 'ZOMBIE' Halifax Mk.111( MZ399 - NPZ) of 158 Squadron at Lissett in Yorkshire showing damage on a raid to Essen on 24th December 1944, when an Ack-Ack shell tore through the fuselage without exploding in W.R.Chorley and R.N.Benwells' book 'IN BRAVE COMPANY' - The history of 158 Squadron - published in 1977.

Flight Lieutenant Jack Watson and three of his crew are stood in front of the Halifax.

A fantastic new memorial to 158 Squadron was built in 2012? just outside Lissett village, check the 158 Squadron website, well worth a visit.

Respond to this message   
keithstanyon
(no login)

Roy

May 5 2015, 11:08 PM 

Silly billy .You should have listened,but your mind was some where else.

An implosion from the internal oxygen tank/s. It was not his usual Wellington. ( a bit of a story). . . from

the horses mouth, !

Respond to this message   
Debbe
(no login)

About your Grandfather

March 17 2017, 6:43 AM 

Michael-
I found your post while searching for info on the Zombie and hope it's not too late to get in touch with you. A friend of our family's was a Zombie crew member and is, in fact, in the picture you mentioned (second from the left). I spoke to him tonight and he said he knew your Grandfather and kept in touch with him after the war, but lost track of your family after Roy passed away. He said he would very much like to be in touch with you. If you are interested, please email me: debbesilvas@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon!

P.S. If anyone reading this knows how I can get in touch with Michael, I would very much appreciate the help!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here