www.57rescue.org

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

F/O. Cyril Barton VC

February 6 2017 at 9:18 PM

Caleb Shaw  (Login Prune1942)
from IP address 106.69.76.82

Hello again,

Sorry if I'm posting too much stuff.
I'd like to know more about P/O (F/O posthumously) Cyril Joe Barton VC and his crew, who were with 578 sqn RAF (Halifax). I understand his Navigator: F/Sgt. L. Lambert, Bomb Aimer: F/O. G. Crate, and Wireless op: P/O. J. Kay, baled out on their way to Nuremburg, on March 30, 1944. Early in the flight their Halifax (LK-E) was shot up by two German night fighters. The above crew members baled out in the confusion (their intercom was destroyed). Cyril decided to head on for the target, drop the bomb load and get the remaining crew home. The remaining crew: Engineer: Sgt. M. Trousdale DFM, and the two Air Gunners: H. Wood DFM and Sgt. F Bryce DFM, stayed with their pilot. They crash landed in the village of Ryhope, England. Cy died from his injuries attained in the crash. The others had minor wounds. For this feat of sacrifce and bravery, F/O. Cyril Joe Barton was awarded the Victoria Cross. Well that's the story. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to contact his family (his two sisters, whom I think are still alive). I'd like to know more about Cyril himself.
This is probably an unanswerable question, sorry.
I hope somebody finds the above information handy. It's an incredible touching story. You can read it in 'The Red Line', a book about the Nuremburg raid.

Kind regards,
Caleb Shaw

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login MikeHarrison)

Re: F/O. Cyril Barton VC

February 7 2017, 7:13 AM 

Hi Caleb,

The link below maybe of interest.

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/barton-cyril.html

Regards,
Mike

Respond to this message   
Cynthia Maidment
(no login)

Re: F/O. Cyril Barton VC

March 8 2017, 1:49 PM 

I am Cyril Barton's sister

Respond to this message   
Caleb Shaw
(no login)

WOW!

March 9 2017, 2:04 AM 

Dear Mrs Maidment,

I am very glad you saw my post. I am 15 years old and live in Australia. I read about your heroic brother in the book, Red Line, about the infamous Nuremberg raid.
He is a great role model for a young christian man like me.
I'd love to keep in contact.
Kind regards,
Caleb Shaw

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Hobbies and InterestsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Forum Guidelines:click here