I have heard it a little differently...

by Tsitshoh (Login tsitshoh)

She:kon!

As I understand it, there is talk that the Intermediate age division will be split into two groups - a 17 & 18 year old age division and a 19-21 age division - sort of like Intermediate and Juvenile.  The reason for this is to allow two more years of "minor" for the younger players to develop skills.  It would not end lacrosse for players over the age of 18.

If I understand things correctly, yes it would provide more incentive and impetus for Jr levels, especially if Jr C expands, but would allow for U21 players to keep playing.  I believe the idea is to allow call-ups from the younger division to the older division similar in the way that Midgets can be called up to Intermediate now.  So if a small centre U21 team is missing a few players, they can call from their U18 team to fill in all year as long as the call-up doesn't play in two provincial finals.

One real problem that will have to be dealt with through an OLA by-law change is how Jr. teams affiliate.  For instance, if a Jr B team already has two affiliations and one of those affilations is an Intermediate team, are they going to raise the limit as to how many affiliations a Jr B team can have?  If they up the affiliations to three or more per Jr B team, that is going to lead to some very interesting affiliation scenarios.

There are quite a few valid arguments on both sides of the issue and it should be a lively debate at the AGM.  Or at least one hopes it does.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Posted on Jul 31, 2009, 9:48 AM
from IP address 198.103.223.51

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

1. Me Too. Doug, Aug 1, 2009, 8:50 AM
    1. Reverse That. No1LaxFan, Aug 1, 2009, 11:35 AM
      1. typical OLA. MoFoLax, Aug 1, 2009, 9:50 PM
        1. OLA Needs to Re-Think This. No1LaxFan, Aug 1, 2009, 11:47 PM
          1. I think this makes sense. Abused Fan, Aug 2, 2009, 11:26 AM
            1. gotta get off the OLA Koolaid. MoFoLax, Aug 3, 2009, 7:26 PM
              1. Re: gotta get off the OLA Koolaid. ..., Aug 3, 2009, 9:13 PM
              2. Re: gotta get off the OLA Koolaid. Abused Fan, Aug 5, 2009, 1:36 AM
  2. All we need.... lax4all, Aug 2, 2009, 9:48 AM

2013 PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONS
Tyke: Whitby (A), Oshawa (B), Barrie (C), Stars (D), Windsor (E)
Novice: Mimico (A), Innisfil (B), Orillia (C), Wallaceburg (D), Kawartha Lakes (E) Nepean (F)
Peewee: Whitby (A), Wallaceburg (B), Cambridge (C), Huntsville (D), London (E) NOTL (F)
Bantam: St. Catharines (A), Owen Sound (B), Oakville (C), Wallaceburg (D) Nepean (E)
Midget: Orangeville (A), Owen Sound (B), Cornwall (C), Orangeville (D)
Intermediate: Beaches (A), Six Nations (B), Sudbury (C)
Bantam Girls: Centre Wellington (A), Six Nations (B), Sarnia (C)
Midget Girls: Whitby (A), Hamilton (B), Sarnia (C)
Intermediate Girls: Whitby (A), NOTL (B), Kitchener-Waterloo (C)