Fan Forums
Senior B - Ontario Field Lacrosse - OLA Unofficial - Masters - Womens
OLA Info - Midget - Akwesasne - BCLA - RMLL
~ Be Nice ~
Click Here If You'd Care To Donate To The Expense Of These Sites.

2011 Tournaments - 2011 Provincials - 2011 Lacrosse Festival - 2011 Team Ontario

Mississauga @ Green Gaels Tomorrow Night!

by (Login MattChamois)

Coming off their first loss of the season, the Green Gaels will welcome the Mississauga Tomahawks to the Garnet B. Rickard Recreation Complex tomorrow evening, May 26th, for an 8PM start.

The Gaels previously beat the Tomahawks in Mississauga earlier this season, however, as stated above, are coming off their first loss of the season with a 10-1. The Tomahawks, 4-6, are coming off an 11 - 4 victory over the Orillia Kings on Tuesday evening.

This will be the first visit back to the Garnet B. Recreation Complex for both Brett and Taylor Meraw, Bowmanville residents who are both playing their first full season of Junior B Lacrosse with the Tomahawks. They will certainly be looking to put on a strong performance in efforts to put a "W" on the board in front of their family and friends.

For the Gaels, Dylan Goddard is a scoring machine of late, posting 23 points in his previous 3 games, while Brodie Tutton should be making his return to the lineup as well, after scoring 19 points in his previous 4 games.

Make sure you get out to this one. It will be the best lacrosse action in town tomorrow evening! Once you get there, don't forget to grab your 50/50 tickets!

Admission is $7 for adults, $4 for students and seniors, while children 12 and under get in free when accompanied by an adult.

Kids, don't forget to bring your helmets to go on the floor between periods!

Posted on May 25, 2011, 4:40 PM
from IP address 69.158.90.56

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Tyke Division Added to Barrie Tornado Classic Tournament

by Tornado Classic Tyke Tournament! (Login 007lax007)

The Barrie Tornado Classic is now in its 5th year and has opened a TYKE division this year. Novice and Peewee divisions are also available. Teams are guaranteed 4 games in the brand new Holly Community Centre. The tournament will be held from July 15-17.

Anyone interested should contact Mike Kloepfer at mjkloepfer@rogers.com or tornadolacrosse@rogers.com

Please forward this message to the tyke coach in your organization.

Posted on May 25, 2011, 3:26 PM
from IP address 70.29.123.137

Respond to this message

Return to Index

The Medals Issue Revisted

by (Login 007lax007)

The decision to only give out gold medals this year elicited quite a bit of discussion, both here, on the OMFLL site, and at the fields themselves. I made a brief comment in the thread below, but basically reserved judgement until after everything played out.

After seeing the medals, I don't think that this was matter of the OLA/OMFLL being cheap. The Gold Medals (and ribbons) this year were FANTASTIC. They were really impressive and first rate, and they no doubt cost significantly more than last year's medals. My son has various medals from lacrosse and other sports, and commented that this one was the coolest medal that he had ever won. It would not surprise me in the least if these new medals cost as much as the old gold/silver/bronze medals combined. Given the choice between the two, I'd say that first rate gold medals are probably a better way to spend prize money than greater quantities of cheaper medals.

That said, I do feel that the finalists/silver medalists/losers (pick your term) should be recognized. I don't know that the OLA/OMFLL needs to go to the expense of silver and bronze medals, but even a finalist patch or something inexpensive like that would be a nice touch. One of the things I've liked about past championships (field or box) was bringing the two finalists together to receive their awards after the game. It made the win (or the loss) seem more important/special.

I can think of a perfect example from field last year. My son had an absolute war with a rival player in the championship game. I honestly thought that they were going to kill each other. Both teams were called together for the medal ceremony and, once everything was handed out, he immediately went with extended hand to congratulate his rival. It was a great moment between two boys who had played exceptionally hard and well. I think that, from a character perspective, there is great value in seeing your opponent, win or lose, acknowledged at the end of a provincial championship tournament.

This year, once the game was over, the "Silver Medalists" just kind of drifted off while the champs got the gold. I think that took away from the experience for both sides.

This is NOT about giving everyone a prize for just showing up or rewarding "losers". A team that advances all the way to the provincial championship game, regardless of level, has accomplished something. A formal acknowledgement of such, however minor, is worthwhile.

I get the need to cut costs and think that the nicer medals for the champs are the better choice, but there is an opportunity to improve things for box provincials with some sort of "finalist" acknowledgement and proper ceremony involving both teams.

Just my two cents worth!

Posted on May 24, 2011, 3:05 PM
from IP address 184.150.2.143

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: The Medals Issue Revisted

by Lacrocs (Login lacrocs)

Wow, it's really too bad the OLA couldn't afford a wonderful little second rate piece of %$&* to make sure the losers hung around long enough to check out your little Johnny's bling. I guess the price of Gold was too high. Even with all the money they saved not having crossovers and qualifiers. We all feel really bad that Johnny didn't have a chance to "congratulate" his worthy opponent on his loss.

Posted on May 24, 2011, 7:05 PM
from IP address 99.232.72.14

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Wow...

by (Login 007lax007)

Bitter much?

Sad that you don't see the role/value of minor sports in terms of building character, winning with class, and losing with honour.

I don't understand the need for your personal vitriol, but it only demonstrates how clueless you are. My son has twice been on the losing side of a provincial championship game, and my comments were based as much on those experiences as on those times that he's played for the winning side. It sure doesn't have anything to do with "showing off bling" and I'll just write off your ignorant sneer about the example of sportsmanship that I cited to you being a typical anonymous Internet troll.

I simply provided some thoughts/opinions about an issue that a lot of people were discussing this weekend. I'm sure that there are many who disagree, and I don't claim to speak with authority or expertise - just a perspective as a parent and (to a lesser degree) coach. There was no need for you to be such a douche about it.

Posted on May 24, 2011, 10:46 PM
from IP address 174.89.67.143

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Wow

by Lacrocs (Login lacrocs)

I respond with a bit of sarcasm and you call me a bitter internet troll douche?
I gotta tell you, my jaw dropped when I read your original post. You obviously don't get it do you?

Posted on May 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
from IP address 99.232.72.14

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Wow

by Mike (Login Monty14)

He's not the only one that read your response and thought you were a total douche.

Posted on May 25, 2011, 12:02 PM
from IP address 207.236.93.205

Respond to this message

Return to Index

the troll is back peddling

by 705Sniper (Login 705Sniper)

Once you hit the submit button you own the comment
Trying to fluff off how you responded to make it sound like it is something else only speaks to your ignorance

Also I LOL'd after reading Jim's response to your garbage. Is it grammatically correct to word a response so gracefully and then end it with the word "douche"

705Sniper

Posted on May 25, 2011, 12:39 PM
from IP address 63.86.174.2

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Oh, do tell...

by (Login 007lax007)

If I don't get it, then why not enlighten me by actually making a point instead of hiding behind weak sarcasm? I disagree with those who feel that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, however when deployed so ineffectively, well, res ipsa loquitur.

Anyway, how about stating your own opinion instead of trying to mis-characterize mine? Are you capable of actually having a constructive discussion about this topic (any topic?), or is the thin gruel you've provided thus far as good as it gets?

Do you think that the finalists should receive medals or not? Why?

Do you believe that, after advancing all the way to a provincial championship game, the losing team should just kind of dissipate from the field/rink without any sort of acknowledgement of their accomplishment by the league? Why?

If you're not interested in discussing the matter, why reply at all?

Anyway, I'm on pins and needles (no, really!) waiting to learn what was so jaw-dropping about my first post. Was it that I (gasp) liked the medals and didn't jump on the "everything the OLA does is stupid and sucks entirely" bandwagon that is such a popular ride around here? Or maybe that I dared provide a personal example of a nice moment that couldn't really happen with the new approach? Perhaps it was my opinion that building character is as important as developing physical skills in minor sports. Do help me understand that which you feel I so obviously don't get.

I anxiously await your reply.

PS - It is inaccurate to suggest that I called you a bitter internet troll douche. I believe that I also accused you of being ignorant. If not, then I certainly meant to and apologize for the oversight. Consider the record corrected.

Posted on May 25, 2011, 2:48 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

cost......

by John Harris (Login masterlady)

very well said but I think you are a little off the mark as to the cost of medals...I haven't seen these shiney new gold medals but can't imagine they would cost as much as gold/silver/bronze combined, there isn't any "gold" "silver" or "bronze" in them....medals, with ribbons, generally cost under five bucks, significantly less if bought in numbers which the OLA could do by combining the purchase of all the various medals they would hand out, the savings would be significant and the set up fees for the various changes in "artwork" on each medal would be nominal....if this is an attempt at cost savings and cost savings only by the OLA, I think they have failed miserably....they could have reduced their costs by purchasing more intelligently without alienating parents and players....beyond cost savings and hurt feelings this new system of giving out only gold medals has created something that could be more serious....if only Champions get recongnized where is the incentive to compete for those teams that won't be champions?....early in any season everyone has a chance but at some point it becomes clear some won't make it to the end, why would they bother to play? why would their parents continue to fund their activity in this sport as opposed to having them do something else?.....I don't condone that attitude but it will happen....this isn't about giving every one a prize, it's about recognising achievement and making it to the final four, in any sport that has good involvement shown by numbers, is an achievement....and then there is the sportsmanship and comradery that has already shown to be missing at the end of it all....in the end, what was really saved?

Posted on May 25, 2011, 8:04 AM
from IP address 64.186.200.208

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: cost......

by (Login 007lax007)

John - You are probably right about the costs. I've never been involved in the purchase of customized medals or even had to approve a budget for such, so I'll certainly defer to your experience in that regard.

FWIW, the new medals are significantly larger and heavier than the old ones, and full colour. The ribbons holding the medals are also larger, include custom wording (i.e. specifically saying field champions whereas the old ones just said lacrosse) and have the OLA logo. They really are nice medals (although evidently I was boasting or something for pointing that out in my original post) and they just seem like they would cost significantly more to produce than the old ones.

I certainly agree that making it to the championship game is a notable achievement and that the finalists should have something to recognize their accomplishment.

Posted on May 25, 2011, 1:48 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thank you Lax Volunteers

by OldGuyKW (Login OldGuyKW)

A Big THANK YOU to the volunteers that put together the Provincial Championships in Brampton. It really was something to see so many teams in one spot. I appreciate the countless hours it took to make it happen.
Tom Bileski, KW United

Posted on May 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
from IP address 208.124.160.26

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Thank you Lax Volunteers

by sore feet (Login 27mark27)

I agree. My only complaint would be with the City of Brampton. Build more PARKING .

Posted on May 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
from IP address 142.240.200.10

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Thank you Lax Volunteers

by (Login 007lax007)

I second Tom's thoughts. A great weekend made possible through the hard work of many dedicated volunteers!

Posted on May 24, 2011, 2:46 PM
from IP address 184.150.2.143

Respond to this message

Return to Index

"Play for Pink"

by (Login muskokalacrosse)

Following in Jim Zacher's footsteps, our Minor Lacrosse organization has joined in to help celebrate Lacrosse Day in Canada on June 11, 2011.

We are hosting an 8 hour Marathon Lacrosse game with players from peanut to masters and beyond. With the theme to bring a friend to help a friend, even those who may have never played lax are encouraged to come out and give the sport a try.

Huntsville & District Minor Lacrosse has teamed up with the Kelly Shires Breast Cancer Foundation (a local, not for profit organization) to help raise both funds and awareness of their foundation and our national sport, LACROSSE!

For all the details, how to register to play, to donate a raffle or silent auction item, or to just see what we are up to, please check out our website www.hawkslacrosse.ca and look for the PLAY FOR PINK tab on the left hand side.

Thanks,

Jeff & Leslie Secord
Fundraising Co-chairs
705-385-9650
J_Lsecord@hotmail.com
www.hawkslacrosse.ca
www.kellyshiresfoundation.org

Posted on May 18, 2011, 1:57 PM
from IP address 76.75.180.144

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Oakville Buzz @ Green Gaels Tomorrow Night!

by (Login MattChamois)

Tomorrow night the Oakville Buzz (6-2) travel to the Garnet B. Rickard Recreation Complex for their first meeting with the Green Gaels (9-0) since 2008.

The Buzz are currently tied atop the South-West division standings with the Halton Hills Bulldogs and are touted as one of the strongest defensive teams in the Eastern Conference. Their defense is backed Ian Duffy in goal, who leads the Eastern Conference with a 3.52 Goals Against Average. Scoring for the Buzz is spread out throughout their lineup, and provides a strong challenge to the Gaels defense.

Connor Latimer should be in the line-up tomorrow night for the Green Gaels. Last seasons 2010 Eastern Conference MVP and Leading Scorer, will be returning from Genesee C.C. NCAA Division III. He will add to a potent offense that represents the top two leading scorers in the OLA Jr. B Lacrosse League this season.

This game will be a true test for both teams. The patient Buzz team will show a more controlled pace to their game, while the Gaels will bring one of the toughest and aggressive defenses to the arena to meet the Buzz.

This one should be a good one. Two tough defenses. Two different but capable offenses. It will be a real lacrosse clinic from the pipes on out. Make sure you are there for this one.

Live Lax Blog will be covering the game tomorrow night live from Rickard. Make sure all you fans out of town follow along on Pointstreak and the Live Lax Blog.

Tickets for everyone attending the game are $7 for adults, $4 for students and seniors, while children 12 and under are admitted free under the supervision of an adult.

Don't forget kids, bring your helmet and stick so you can go on the floor between intermissions and have some fun!

Posted on May 18, 2011, 1:14 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Trainer Qualifications (Help!)

by (Login 007lax007)

Hello, everyone.

I've searched the OLA website in vain and can't determine what level of Red Cross certification is required for a bench trainer. Is the one-day Emergency course sufficient, or is the two-day Standard course required.

Please help! We need to get a certified trainer and do not want to pick the wrong course.

Thanks,

Jim

Posted on May 18, 2011, 11:50 AM
from IP address 70.29.120.35

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Trainer Qualifications (Help!)

by PCO6 (Login PCO6)

I have searched for the list in the past too and agree it's hard to find. It does exist, I just can't put my hands on it right now. Your club or Zone Registrar should be able to advise you. The good news is that a lot of people qualify due to their professions or other interests. I have seen the following registered as trainers by the OLA and I'm sure there are more - doctors, nurses, paramedics, police officers, firemen, chiroprctors, dentists, military personnel, hockey (and other sports) trainers, ski patrollers, scout leaders, etc. Some of the above are obvious and some others qualify by virtue of specific courses they have taken. It's always good to canvas the team parents and register a few "spares".

Posted on May 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
from IP address 64.119.102.172

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Trainer Qualifications (Help!)

by (Login 007lax007)

Thanks - I've canvassed the parents twice and so far no volunteers with existing credentials. It will probably wind up being another hat for me to wear, lol.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 12:22 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

here is what I know

by laxbiz (Login laxbiz)

Hey Jim,

I'm a Manager, and I agree, that document is not easily found.

Back in 2009, I did find such a document. As a result, my trainer-candidate went and obtained the "Emergency First Aid with Level A CPR" 8-hour course available through St. John's Ambulance. This trainer is again carded in 2011, with the same credentials.

Posted on May 19, 2011, 10:39 PM
from IP address 99.239.174.183

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thank you! (nm)

by Jim (Login 007lax007)

Posted on May 20, 2011, 7:51 AM
from IP address 76.64.162.145

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Only Gold Medals at Field Provincials This Weekend

by statslax (Login statslax)

Taken from the OMFLL Website

(New this year, the OLA is providing medals for the winning team at each level only for all Provincial Championships. So there will only be a medal and trophy presentation for the winning teams.)

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Posted on May 18, 2011, 12:31 AM
from IP address 216.254.167.147

Respond to this message

Return to Index

about time...

by drawman (Login drawman)

Why must every team win a medal ?
I think awarding medals to only those that win is a good idea.
Awarding to all only diminishes the feat the top team accomplished.

My two cents.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 7:25 AM
from IP address 99.227.210.133

Respond to this message

Return to Index

about time...

by BaileyQuarters (Login BaileyQuarters)

agreed.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 8:23 AM
from IP address 207.164.171.148

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Tacky

by Sam Rook (Login HivedOff)

While not "every team" should get a medal, to not award even a smaller trophy for the second place finisher diminishes their great accomplishment. It's not easy to make the final and while only 1 team wins, the Runner-Up should also receive something to commemorate their great season too.

Since it is Youth Sports and not Professional sports, let's reward the team who doesn't win the final as well. It's the right thing to do.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 9:41 AM
from IP address 142.245.59.9

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Medals

by Laxx07 (Login Laxx07)

Agreed , why change now

"The custom of awarding the sequence of gold, silver, and bronze medals for the first three highest achievers dates from at least the 19th century, with the National Association of Amateur Athletes in the United States awarding such medals as early as 1884.[2]"

"This standard was adopted for Olympic competition at the 1904 Summer Olympics. At the 1896 event, silver was awarded to winners and bronze to runners-up, while at 1900 other prizes were given, not medals."

Posted on May 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
from IP address 99.227.228.233

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Why not have our identity instead of being followers ?

Cost ?
Labour ?
Medals not made from "green products", I could go on forever.

Why must we adapt another sports awards format?
You say it's been around forever in the Olympics, that does not warrant @#@# in my books and no reason it should be in lacrosse.
Winners get a medal and if others have a void to be fed why not a "crest". (cheaper and recognition is achieved)
I have a closet full of crests. Some are "A" championship tournaments were you won a crest not a trophy or medal.

I may be old fashioned but catering to "non winnners" (must be politically correct here)is not a step forward.
Just wait to these player's graduate out of midget with umpteen trophies on their shelves only to find out the
grim truth about their skills.
If they need a medal then maybe the parents can buy Johnny one instead of the OLA.

Again my 2 cents.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 7:19 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

False Premise

by Tsitshoh (Login tsitshoh)

She:kon!

So the presumption is that since lacrosse uses athletic performance recognition methods that are used in other sports, the game somehow loses it's "identity" and reduces its participants and organizers to the role of mere "followers."  Given the nature and history of the game, your argument is patently absurd and a complete non-sequitur.

Then you cheapen the stakes by raising the spectre of "politically correct" as some sort of self-evident and necessary result of an poorly supported argument based on a false and unsubstantiated premise.

The irony here, as you explain what warrants "@#@# in your books" is that you explain that you have a closet full of momentos of events in which you are your team were recognized for your atheletic performance and furthermore, while medals shouldn't be awarded to "non winners" you think crests could be; or should be.  So your whole argument, being an absurd non-sequitur is also contradicts itself.

But I like this statement the best: "If they need a medal then maybe the parents can buy Johnny one instead of the OLA."

Who do you think actually pays for the medals in the first place?  The OLA??  LOFL!!!  You must be completely removed from the OMFLL that charges teams fees who download the cost to the players and families.  In effect, the parents of "little Johnny" are footing the bill for the OMFLL in the first place.  Right?  You get that right?  What did you think - the OMFLL league was paying for the medals and trophies out of their profits?  LOFL!

Seriously, charging the fees they do, the OMFLL is being chintzy and cheap.  And if it was matter of some sort of abstract austerity measure then I am sure they could have tacked on a 2 buck surcharge per player to continue the athletic performance recognition of handing out silver and bronze medals, which is a fairly common recognition method in a tournament format.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Posted on May 18, 2011, 10:47 PM
from IP address 74.12.40.10

Respond to this message

Return to Index

wow

I also said my two cents.

Your opinion does not change mine or make yours correct!
Keep using the thesaurus, big words from someone in the know of all that is lacrosse.
God forbid someone have a differt viewpoint than you. I must be absurd as you say.

If the medals were already accounted for in the budget, then why are only gold ones being handed out ?
Please enlighten us on this point. You get this question right?

It is possible the cost of registration was held steady because of the increased transportation costs incurred
by all. Hence having the medals cut back this year to ensure the steady profit for the omfll.

Keep up the condensending remarks I appreciate them.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 11:18 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

No gold medal for you!

No gold medal for you for a second rate argument.  Maybe you'll get a crest.  LOFL!

The fact is, your opinion is invalidated because it is a non-sequitur, contradictory and patently absurd.  That makes you wrong until  you can prove otherwise.  It doesn't mean I am right of course, but it certainly means your 'opinion' just got buried.

If the OMFLL only budgeted for gold medals in an effort to make a "profit" then perhaps they should open their books to their shareholders - the people that pay for it all - the parents.  IF they realized - halfway through the season - they were going to run out of money, then perhaps they should have looked to the OLA for a loan to get them through until they can adjust their expenses.

But either way, it is cheap and chinzy especially for a provincial tournament.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Posted on May 19, 2011, 7:17 AM
from IP address 198.103.152.51

Respond to this message

Return to Index

agree fully n/m

by 27mark27 (Login 27mark27)

Posted on May 19, 2011, 7:27 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

the OLA made this decision not the OMFLL

by laxhound (Login kwlaxhound)

This came from the governing body and you'll see it happen in box as well.

Posted on May 20, 2011, 5:10 PM
from IP address 99.237.25.35

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Still cheap and chintzy... n/m

Posted on May 20, 2011, 10:33 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

no problem here again nm.

nm.

Posted on May 21, 2011, 5:04 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Head in the sand

Webby,

I have known you for many years and coached against you for most of that time. Your team and my team had many great battles and wonderful games to remember.

But in the end neither of us won many provincial titles. That doesn't mean our time and efforts were worthless. Our teams and players learned more about themselves as people than they did as Lacrosse players, many of them turned out pretty good as players so that's saying something.

I would however disagree with you whole-heartedly that awarding Gold, Silver and Bronze medals is "rewarding losers". I know when you coached you goal was the same as mine, to win the gold. I also know you would have never in your life refused to accept a Silver or Bronze medal at a provincial championship. You and your players would have earned that award by through your hardwork and dedication to the team. The colour may not be what you strived for but it doesn't diminish the effort put in to reach the top.

Perhaps a rethink of your vehement stance on Medals to the winners ONLY is in order?

Sam

Posted on May 19, 2011, 1:50 PM
from IP address 142.245.193.4

Respond to this message

Return to Index

a lot of what you say...

Sam,

Thanks for the tone of your message.

I still believe in my opinion (not arguement). Although it was disected line by line by Todd
of whom did not raise one valid reason other than cost as to why these runners up deserve a medal I still
cannot see why a return to the past is so evil.

I have been involved over 40 years in lax so I'm not a newbie as one poster suggested.
I also know that the game evolves with rules, offense/defence and in this case awards.

You and I have had great matches over the years, I do not need a medallion to remind me of them.
I do not bad mouth your stance on medals even if different than mine. It is an opinion.

According to Todd my arguement was "buried" I guess this must be because he said so.
I'm sorry it took so long to reply to your worthy posting but we had a death in the family.
Todd's posting can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

For fun how long do you think it will take him to reply to this ?
Will he have a valid arguement as to why runners up deserve medals?
I think he will just attack this opinion line by line.

Above bashing opinions with drivel,

Drawman

Posted on May 21, 2011, 5:21 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

False Premise

She:kon Drawman,

Skennenko:wa and my condolences to your family for your loss.

Your opinion is "buried" because it was based upon a false premise as the title of my original reply clearly indicates.  It isn't because I "said so" it is because your reasons are unsubstantiated, contradictory and devolve into a nonsensical and absurd non-sequitur.  If that offends you then perhaps you ought to provide a counterpoint to my rebuttal or revise your "opinion." 

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Posted on May 21, 2011, 8:36 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

The closet

by Abused Fan (Login krashr)

If you have a closet full of medals, crests and trophies, they must have meant something to you then and still do now seeing how you have kept them and good for you that you did. My son has a a shelf full of finalist trophies and medals that he wanted no part of the day of the event, but still spreads them out now and again to do an inventory. My initial thought was 'who needs a second place award', but for the cost involved, maybe we do?

Posted on May 21, 2011, 5:46 PM
from IP address 184.147.13.188

Respond to this message

Return to Index

good point krashr

I can see both points of view, but I am set in my opinion.
I have crests etc from the past. Most are gold winners or participant offerings.
You are right in the point that I still hold on to them. For the most point I do not know why ?
Thanks for your views, I see the youth awards I won have been kept, but the later awards seem less desirable.
Go figure..

Drawman

Posted on May 26, 2011, 11:06 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: about time...

by (Login 007lax007)

Every team doesn't win a medal. The gold, silver, and bronze medalists do. Seems to work fine for the Olympics and World Championships.

This is pretty standard in most athletic tournaments and not comparable to the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality that you are talking about.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 11:48 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: about time...

by ???? (Login 27mark27)

must be newbies. only top three got medals. should continue that way.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 12:53 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

It's chinzy and cheap n/m

Posted on May 18, 2011, 9:07 AM
from IP address 198.103.152.51

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Your reasons ? nm

Posted on May 18, 2011, 7:21 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Never forget the 80's

by steveooo (Login steveooo)

I don't see what the problem with the top 3 getting something.If the kids enjoy the medals ,it's good for the game.If its good for the game the game will grow.If the game grows it will never die again.A powerfull lesson was learned in the 80's .The powers that be should never forget this ,especially when it comes down to a few lousey bucks that is just downloaded to the parents anyways.

Posted on May 20, 2011, 5:11 PM
from IP address 99.252.205.178

Respond to this message

Return to Index

participant medals?

by vern (Login verno316)

Everyone in the tyke finals got a medal, and win or lose they said participant

Posted on May 22, 2011, 9:55 PM
from IP address 66.163.5.113

Respond to this message

Return to Index

St.Catharines Saints 13 - Brooklin Merchants 6

by (Login SaintsLacrosse)

Posted on May 14, 2011, 3:02 AM
from IP address 173.238.71.36

Respond to this message

Return to Index

St.Catharines Saints vs Brooklin Merchants Friday Night!!

The Saints host the Merchants Friday night at Bill Burgoyne arena 8:30pm

These 2 teams played to an 11-10 overtime victory by the Saints 2 weeks ago and this should be another great game!!!

GO SAINTS GO!!!!

www.stcatharinessaints.com

Posted on May 12, 2011, 5:41 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: St.Catharines Saints vs Brooklin Merchants Friday Night!!

by centre44 (Login centre44)

Why does the OLA point streak scoreboard indicated St Kitts has been shut out four times? Ineleiglbe players? Owen Sound also.

Posted on May 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
from IP address 207.219.254.68

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Alumni Association

by Wellington-Dufferin Titans Lacrosse Club (Login WellingtonDufferinTitans)

The Wellington-Dufferin Titans are creating an Alumni Association!

If you, or someone you know was a player/executive/coach/volunteer for any of the following clubs, please email lacrosse.alumni@gmail.com

Fergus Thistles Senior B
Arthur Aces Senior B
Wellington Aces Senior B
Wellington Dufferins Senior B

There is a strong history of Senior B lacrosse in the Centre Wellington Area and we would like to connect to that.

We would like to get as much of the following information as possible:

Last Name
First Name
Role(s): Player? Coach? Executive? Volunteer?
Team:
Years Of Service:
Current Mailing Address:
Current Phone Number:
Current Email Address:

Posted on May 12, 2011, 2:50 PM
from IP address 184.147.14.184

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Zone 4 Peewee: Barrie II 10 - Stayner 2

by Jim (Login 007lax007)

Great to see the Hitmen with Novice & Peewee teams this year. Despite a short bench, Stayner fought hard and played with great enthusiasm. Hats off to the coaches and volunteers for keeping lacrosse alive in the smaller centres!

Posted on May 12, 2011, 1:59 PM
from IP address 76.64.162.184

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Mimico Mountaineers @ Green Gaels Tonight!

by (Login MattChamois)

Last Friday evening the Gaels traveled to Mimico Arena for one of the toughest tests for both teams in this young season. Tonight, Mimico looks to redeem themselves when they travel to the Garnet B. Rickard Recreation Complex in Bowmanville where they take on the Gaels for an 8PM start.

The Green Gaels have put up wins against the Gloucester Griffins and Mississauga Tomahawks since their Friday night victory over Mimico, while the Mountaineers have had time to relax and go over game film, they have not played since Friday.

Every time these two teams meet, both teams give 110%. In what may not be as published a rivalry as Halton Hills vs. Mimico or Green Gaels vs. Halton Hills, these two teams genuinely do not like playing each other and always expect hard word and effort out of each other, on top of boat loads of talent.

Make sure you get out to Rickard tonight and join what is expected to be a strong crowd, and take in some great Junior Lacrosse action tonight. Don't forget, tonight is Brendan Muise's first time facing the Mountaineers at home in the Green Gaels barn since his trade from Mimico.

Tickets are $7 for adults, $4 for students and seniors, while children under 12 are free when accompanied by an adult. Make sure your kids bring along their helmets and sticks to keep them occupied in between periods on the floor.

Posted on May 12, 2011, 10:45 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

EDGE 88 Summer Camps - Last Week for Early Bird Pricing!

by (Login Edgelacrosse)

Thanks to everyone who has already registered for one of our EDGE 88 Summer Camps! Early Bird Pricing is only available until Sunday May 15th, so register NOW to secure a spot with Zack Greer and EDGE 88!

To register online, click here:http://www.edge88.com/camps.php

Edge 88 Mission - provide a high value camp experience that includes top notch coaching, quality drills and instruction, while providing fun and exposure to the field lacrosse game at a one of kind camp experience for the athlete!

Camp Details:

9am- 4pm Monday-Thursday

Campers must bring their own lunch

Camp is open to players of ALL AGES

Head Camp Director Zack Greer will be coaching all of our summer camps in 2011, and he'll be bringing along a few of his friends. Current MLL/NLL/NCAA players Joe Walters, Billy Dee Smith, Jordan MacIntosh and Bill Greer will all be featured at an EDGE88 Camp this summer.

Zack Greer is a 4 X All American, and currently holds the NCAA record for most goals and points in a season. Greer currently plays for the MLL Long Island Lizards and NLL Edmonton Rush.

For additional camp details, please visit us at www.edge88.com

Feel free to call the office at 905-845-5110 if you have questions or concerns.

Posted on May 11, 2011, 3:50 PM
from IP address 70.55.216.118

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Green Gaels 25 - Gloucester 2 Game Highlights

by (Login MattChamois)

No game report for this one, but here is the highlights for yesterdays action. The Green Gaels next home game is this coming Thursday at 8PM when the Mimico Mountaineers look for revenge when they travel to the Garnet B. Rickard Recreation Complex to avenge their 11 - 6 loss they suffered to the Gaels this past Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzE6X9cue4I

Posted on May 9, 2011, 10:37 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

19th Annual John "Gus" McCauley Memorial Tournament

by Cheryl Laplante (Login lcrssmommy)

There are still openings in our intermediate division for the 19th Annual John McCauley Memorial Tournament. Please visit www.bramptonlacrosse.ca for our online registration.

Posted on May 9, 2011, 4:15 PM
from IP address 70.54.129.50

Respond to this message

Return to Index

release

by (Login eggo30)

with your release do you need to go to the next closest center

Posted on May 8, 2011, 7:59 PM
from IP address 65.92.188.5

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Yes

MR3.03
If a club in town, village or community has a number of players whom they cannot use on their
team or teams, these players may, if released by the parent club, apply to the Board of Directors
for permission to play with the next closest town, village or community.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Posted on May 8, 2011, 10:28 PM
from IP address 74.12.43.186

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Gloucester Griffins @ Green Gaels on Mothers Day

by (Login MattChamois)

The Green Gaels will try to remain perfect at 7 - 0 tomorrow when the Gloucester Griffins (2-1) step into the Garnet B. Rickard Recreation Complex in Bowmanville on May 8th at 2PM.

Gloucester is making a weekend out of it as they are in Halton Hills tonight. The Griffins are currently tied for first in the Far-East division.

This is one of only two opportunities to see a Far-East team at Rickard during the regular season. When the Gaels went out east earlier in the season, they were challenged in both games, and it will be no different in this one.

Tickets for the game are $7 for adults, $4 for students, while children under 12 are admitted free under the supervision of an adult. As always, kids are encouraged to bring their sticks and helmets to throw a ball around on the floor in between periods.

Don't miss your opportunity to bring your family out to the game. The 2PM start gives you a great opportunity to get your family out to the game at an affordable price and you'll be home in plenty of time for your Mother's Day dinner.

Posted on May 7, 2011, 6:51 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Frank ?

Please provide latest news on my pal Frank if known.

Webby

Posted on May 6, 2011, 6:07 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Orillia Tournament Openings

by Orillia Minor Lacrosse (Login re-laxtoo)

Orillia Minor Lacrosse is still looking for a few teams in the Tyke, Novice Peewee and Bantam age groups to fill the 2011 Boyd Balkwill Memorial Tournament on June 17, 18 & 19. Registration closes on May 22th

Format:
· 8 teams per division
· Round robin format
· 3 game guarantee (5 game maximum)
· Entry fee - $475 per team

For more information go to our web site: http://www.orilliaminorlacrosse.com/
Or call Joel Campbell at (705) 327-0566

Posted on May 6, 2011, 9:35 AM
from IP address 216.113.24.1

Respond to this message

Return to Index

St.Catharines Saints Sr.B "HOME OPENER"

The St.Catharines Saints HOME OPENER is this weekend!!!

Senior Lacrosse Returns to St.Catharines!!!

SATURDAY MAY 7TH @ 7:30pm

ST.CATHARINES SAINTS VS HUNTSVILLE HAWKS

SEYMOUR-HANNAH SPORTS COMPLEX (4PAD)
240 ST.PAUL ST.W

Lots of great prizes including game tickets, gift certificates and a Blue Ray Player

Special Guest for ceremonial Face-Off

Posted on May 5, 2011, 12:02 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Bring "Mom" to the game!!!

by Dave Colbourne (Login SaintsLacrosse)

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE WONDERFUL LAX MOTHERS

BRING YOUR MOM TO THE GAME AND THE SAINTS WILL GIVE
OUT FREE CARNATIONS TO THE FIRST 50 MOMS!!!

GO SAINTS GO!!!

Posted on May 5, 2011, 4:39 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

The Next CLax Contest - Win Season Tickets

by (Login CLaxLeague)

The next CLax contest will run until May 15th, and the question has to do with the legend of lacrosse John Tavares! Head on over to www.clax.ca and enter to win a pair of season tickets to the team of your choice. That's correct, season tickets. Look for some exciting Canadian Lacrosse League news coming soon regarding the first wave of teams!

Posted on May 4, 2011, 12:18 AM
from IP address 70.31.59.18

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Rock Game / Hershey Fields

by (Login 007lax007)

Can anyone recommend a good place near the Hershey Centre Fields to watch the Rock game (on TSN2)?

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 4:04 PM
from IP address 70.50.28.24

Respond to this message

Return to Index

go west...

Go west on Matheson to Mavis.
Once there you will find many sports bars to choose from. (Heartland-Malls everywhere)
Enjoy the game.

Posted on Apr 30, 2011, 8:04 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thank you! (nm)

by (Login 007lax007)

Posted on Apr 30, 2011, 6:27 PM
from IP address 70.50.28.24

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Question For Referees - Offense Defense

by JerRL (Login JerRL)

Could anyone specify if OD can be run at the Bantam level, or only Midget and up?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 3:06 PM
from IP address 99.250.163.62

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Question For Referees - Offense Defense

by Mike (Login Monty14)

Only Midget and up.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 3:32 PM
from IP address 207.236.93.207

Respond to this message

Return to Index

by ptbo (Login laxpro)

Also to clarify-

While Offense / Defence is only allowed as a strategy at the Midget level and above . . . . . In Bantam and below you are still allowed to use a set PP and PK and you can have a set draw line. For example - put 5 guys out off a draw - win the draw and then make a change.

Hope that helps.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 3:48 PM
from IP address 216.168.118.52

Respond to this message

Return to Index

by JerRL (Login JerRL)

This does help, thank you. I have also heard something about in Bantam and below not having anymore than 3 or 4 players change at once or it is considored OD. Would you know anything about this?

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 4:44 PM
from IP address 99.250.163.62

Respond to this message

Return to Index

by ptbo (Login laxpro)

No, there is no limit on how many can change at once in bantam.

They key thing is when they change.

Players have to play both ends of the floor.

For example, you have a line of 5 out there - they go up and play offence - then lose the ball - all five of them run back and play D - after regaining possession - 4 guys book it to the bench for the change, 1 guy waits with the ball - passes it off then complete the change - This is fine.

What would NOT be fine is if you have a line of 5 on the floor - they go up and play offence then the second you lose the ball you have all 5 guys book it to the bench and send 5 guys out the back door to play defence.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 11:02 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

You can change on Defence...

`What would NOT be fine is if you have a line of 5 on the floor - they go up and play offence then the second you lose the ball you have all 5 guys book it to the bench and send 5 guys out the back door to play defence. `

My understanding is that you can make a line change on defence.  So 5 players could run up the floor, play offence, then run to the bench to make a change on the defensive transition.  I believe I have seen a few teams do this, at least last year.

Could a referee clarify please?

I believe the difference here is not allowing a line to come on the floor for offence and then leave the floor on defensive transition.  However, I know a few clever coaches who can keep the lines moving and change some of the line on offensive transition and some others on the defensive transition.  Technically legal, but it must give the refs a headache!

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Posted on Apr 30, 2011, 11:50 AM
from IP address 70.50.190.118

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: You can change on Defence...

by ptbo (Login laxpro)

LOL I am a referee - maybe my example was not clear . . . Ill try again.

What I was trying to say in my example is if a coach has dedicated defence players coming out the back door on a loss of possession.

So Im my example I said " What would NOT be fine is if you have a line of 5 on the floor - they go up and play offence then the second you lose the ball you have all 5 guys book it to the bench and send 5 guys out the back door to play defence."

And Tsitshoh said "My understanding is that you can make a line change on defence. So 5 players could run up the floor, play offence, then run to the bench to make a change on the defensive transition. I believe I have seen a few teams do this, at least last year."

So im my example. Team A has the ball on offense- they lose the ball - All 5 guys run to the bench - the bench sends 5 guys out the back door to play D . . . . This is fine

Where it becomes illegal is when team A regains possession of the ball - if all 5 guys make a change this is not allowed because those 5 guys have ONLY played defence - they have not played at the offensive end of the floor.

The main thing to keep in mind is if it happens once or twice - it is most likley not a big deal. The whole point behind the rule is to catch the teams that are using dedicated offensive and defensive players who are only playing 1 end of the floor.

Like Tsitshoh said - good coaches know how to manipulate the system to get the guys they want on the floor.

Also - in say a Bantam A game there is enough going on to keep an eye on - it can be hard to babysit changes.

Does that help?

Posted on Apr 30, 2011, 5:25 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

All it takes is "One"

by Mark W (Login the_laxian)

All it takes is "one" player during the play to continually play one or the other. It doesn"t need to be the whole line. A lot easier for a ref to watch.

Posted on May 1, 2011, 9:44 AM
from IP address 24.102.32.34

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: All it takes is "One"

by ptbo (Login laxpro)

good point. In trying to simplify my example, I forgot to mention it does not have to be a whole line. I used a whole line as I thought that was an easier example.

In a game you are more likely to see a team try and use 1 or 2 players playing one end of the floor.

However, I disagree somewhat with you. Personally, when I am reffing the times when a team makes a change of 4 or 5 guys - that is easy you can clearly see who is going on/off and keep track of it. I find it harder when it is just 1 guy changing

Posted on May 1, 2011, 10:21 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

o/d?

by centre44 (Login centre44)

Why is no one questioning the validity of teaching O/D to minor-aged players? Or has this ship sailed?

Posted on May 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
from IP address 207.219.254.68

Respond to this message

Return to Index

John Conflitti

by (Login CLaxLeague)

Hi John, please email me at pstjohn@clax.ca,

thanks,

Paul St. John

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 6:18 PM
from IP address 70.31.56.219

Respond to this message

Return to Index

u b the ref

by al rules (Login qwikstic)

I see that the CLA rule book is now posted on the OLA site and hopefully will lend a hand in educating all us parent "refs".

A question for any of the real stripes and/or experts.

A minor game.

Team H has possession of the ball, ref calls coincidental* penalties. Team M for high sticking, Team H for slashing. (Team H player took a high stick and slashed Team M player).

Who gets awarded the ball ?

*what exactly is a coincidental penalty ? Is this a judgement call by the ref. For example in this instant if it was a high stick then an immediated retaliatory slash. Is that coincidental penalties ?

Cheers,

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 10:56 AM
from IP address 72.39.73.192

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Rule Book

by Laxfan (Login Laxreff888)

Since the rule book is now on line, why not read it

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
from IP address 209.202.119.123

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Rule Book

by qwikstic (Login qwikstic)

Actually I do, and did. Sometimes not always black and white. Why don't you make the call.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 12:18 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Coincidental penalties

are penalties of "equal duration that occurred at the same time to opposing players". Thus in your example the two penalties would be considered coincidental penalties.
Had the one penalty been a 5 minute major then these penalties would not be coincidental (not of equal duration)

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 12:32 PM
from IP address 142.245.193.3

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Coincidental penalties

Thanks Sam. Then I assume according to rule 85(c)

(c) Should infractions occur that require coincident minor or coincident major penalties, play shall be stopped immediately and the penalties assessed to the offending players/goalkeeper. Play shall restart with the team that was in possession of the ball at the time of the infractions, retaining possession.

Team H would retain possession of the ball in my example ?

Cheers,

Todd

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 1:56 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

by hawk.30 (Login hawk.30)

the team that made the last infraction is the team to start without the ball

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 4:14 PM
from IP address 70.48.250.44

Respond to this message

Return to Index

But that is not what the rule says, 85(c). Is there another rule that supersedes 85(c).

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 8:55 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

During play vs after the play

If both penalties occur during the play (ie before the whistle) then possession remains with the team who had ball last.

If the second penalty occurs AFTER play has stopped (ie after the whistle) then they use order of occurence. Because the second penalty is considered to have happened in a seperate instance, the ball would actually go to the team who had the first penalty.

Unfortunately it is a confusing rule that is mis-applied in many cases by refs at all levels which then confuses everyone else.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 11:00 AM
from IP address 142.245.59.11

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Frank Lawrence Update

by Brent McCauley (Login Laxreff888)

Just got off the phone with Linda Lawrence. The breathing tube has been removed. He did talk a little. Awesome news. Keeps those prayers coming

Posted on Apr 27, 2011, 8:03 PM
from IP address 172.129.31.167

Respond to this message

Return to Index

thank you brent. keep us in the loop nm

by Northmen4ever (Login Northmen4ever)

Posted on Apr 27, 2011, 10:05 PM
from IP address 184.147.12.37

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Toronto Rock Lacrosse Camps

by (Login torontorock07)

The Toronto Rock Lacrosse Club will be hosting Lacrosse Camps again this year in Water, Orangeville, and Oakville. For more information please check out the Toronto Rock websitehttp://www.torontorock.com/page/summercamp or call 416-596-3075 for more information.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 2:19 PM
from IP address 70.52.130.51

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Frank Lawrence Update

I was able to visit Linda and her daughter at the hospital today. Frank is still in critical condition, but think are looking better than a couple of days ago. Our prayers are working. So lets keep our prayers coming. Linda wants to thank everyone for their prayers, and e-mails from all over

Posted on Apr 24, 2011, 9:16 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Evolve Elite Lacrosse U14 Selection Camp - May 5

by (Login EvolveLax)

Evolve Elite Lacrosse is calling on all 97's, 98's, to a selection camp at Downsview Park from on May 5th from 7-9 p.m. The 2 hours will be run by a current Team Canada Field Lacrosse member and current Pro Shawn Williams. All evaluators on hand have played at the international level or professionally and coached at the international level or professionaly.

Please email evolveelitelacrosse@rogers.com and indicate your interest in participating and include the following information;
1. Name
2. Date of Birth
3. Position
4. Home Club
5. Previous playing experience
6. References (2 previous coaches)

Evolve Elite players selected will be based on skill and ability to demonstrate character on and off the field.

Team members will be notified the following day if they have been succesful.

Cost - $30.00

Evolve Elite will be entering top recruiting tournaments in the USA -
*Please note that we do not want to interfere with local Club play....so we will be scheduling practice camps and tournaments to minimize or eliminate any conflict so you can continue playing with your local box team.

Coaches for U14 Team
Tracey Kelusky - All American NCAA, University of Hartford Hall of Fame, Former Team Canada, Current Pro
Kyle Sorensen (Defensive Coach) - Current Pro NLL, MLL, Former NCAA Div 1
Supported by Evolve Elite All-Star coaches

http://www.triumphlax.com/evolve/

Posted on Apr 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
from IP address 99.238.254.13

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Evolve Elite SV Field Team Selection Camp - May 5

by (Login EvolveLax)

Evolve Elite Lacrosse is calling on all 95's, 94's, 93's to a selection camp at Downsview Park from on May 5th from 7-9 p.m. The 2 hours will be run by NLL All-star and University of Hartford Hall of Fame Field Lacrosse Inductee Tracey Kelusky. Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, John Grant Sr, together with others who have played at the international level or professionally and coached at the international level or professionaly will be on hand to evaluate the players.

Please email evolveelitelacrosse@rogers.com and indicate your interest in participating and include the following information;
1. Name
2. Date of Birth
3. Position
4. Home Club
5. Previous playing experience
6. References (2 previous coaches)

Evolve Elite players selected will be based on skill and ability to demonstrate character on and off the field.

Team members will be notified the following day if they have been succesful.

Cost - $30.00

Tournaments/Recruiting Events - Evolve Elite will be entering top recruiting tournaments in the USA
- June 25-26 LI Laxfest - Long Island NY- http://lilaxfest.com/
- July 15-16 Summer Sizzle - Baltimore, MD -http://www.alohatournaments.com/Summer-Sizzle.aspx
- November - King of the Mountain -http://www.lehighlacrosse.com/home.html
- TBD (possible other tournament)

Coaches for SV Elite Team
John Grant Sr - Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, Played and Coached at all levels
Tracey Kelusky - All American NCAA, University of Hartford Hall of Fame, Former Team Canada, Current Pro
John Grant Jr (Offensive Coach) - Current Pro NLL, MLL, All American NCAA
Joe Hiltz (Team systems) - Former Pro, Coach all levels including Team Ontario and international teams
Kyle Sorensen (Defensive Coach) - Current Pro NLL, MLL, Former NCAA Div 1

Posted on Apr 22, 2011, 10:20 AM
from IP address 99.238.254.13

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Ripped Off

by Livin (Login livin4lax)

I heard that this program charged $1200 for one weekend Tournament in January. The kids were promised helmets and gloves, which they never got, they also never got refunded. Heard there were a lot of issues and concerns from the parents. Im suprised the Pro guys would put there name on something shady like this, id hate to see more people get ripped off.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011, 4:31 PM
from IP address 24.141.232.108

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Ripped Off

by donk (Login donkeyboy76)

you're not the only one...and these pro's havent just put their name to it...they run it....so this fiasco is on them.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 10:38 AM
from IP address 70.48.54.113

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Good experience

by Jim (Login 007lax007)

My son attended Evolve's one-day March Break camp/clinic and had a great time. Everything was delivered as promised and I think that it benefited him as a lacrosse player. He is NOT on the tournament team, so I can't speak to the experience you've commented on, but I'm always suspicious of anonymous people on the Internet saying that they "heard" something negative about a company/team/organization.

Please don't take that as a personal attack or suggestion that you have some hidden agenda. I just think that you should be careful with comments like that, as they tend to lack context and/or all of the information. Grant/Kelusky/Watson (the GM's and Director of LAX Operations respectively) are all well-known and respected in the lacrosse community and accusing them of doing something "shady" based on second or third hand gossip really doesn't help anybody.

Just my two cents!

Posted on Apr 25, 2011, 1:08 PM
from IP address 67.71.148.47

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Response

by (Login EvolveLax)

INFO...

Evolve was asked in December to organize a Canadian Team for the I-Cup in Florida which ran along side the Brogden in January. We are not immune to critisizm. In fact, its important for us to become better. In a very short turn around we organized a team to go to the I-CUP in Florida. The team was coached by very strong coaches and played some very good lacrosse.

Was it a perfect travel event organized by Evolve....No.....did it have some hic ups...yes.....did we have very good intentions.....yes.....

We have a vision to build a strong foundation for lacrosse players through development camps and elite tournament play in addition to members home club play.

We are in our first year of operations... We will continue to build on successes.... and learn from the challenges.

We want to change the culture...and have the focus, coaching, and model to do it.

In respect to the posted message..the reality is that this it is not truthful. Players paid money to cover costs of accomodations, travel at the event, meals and uniform (which included gloves)...what was paid to evolve covered these expenses...Players paid $500.00 OR $600.00 to evolve depending if they stayed with team or parents. There was no revenue generated by Evolve. We fielded a team to get to this event as a result of the invitation....and payment covered costs...thats it.

Anyone that would like details feel free to email us.

It was our first event....not a home run on our end....but also far from the posted message...

The truth of the matter is this...We believe in our model. We are bringing top notch coaching and development while attempting to not interfere with home clubs as best we can. Each practice, tournament, and year of operation we will get better and look forward to many years of succesful relationships with families and club organizations.

Respectfully,

Evolve Elite Lacrosse

Posted on Apr 28, 2011, 12:31 AM
from IP address 50.36.59.56

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Frank Lawrence updates wanted

by Drawman (Login drawman)

Any recent news available ?
Concerned in Brampton.

Drawman

Posted on Apr 21, 2011, 7:37 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Webby, send me an email.

by laxref23 (Login laxref23)

joelfirmin1307@hotmail.com

Posted on Apr 22, 2011, 9:00 AM
from IP address 24.215.53.53

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Update - Frank Lawrence

Rick - The update as per the family, is still the same. A couple steps for a one step back. Family is still wanting our prayers. Will be paying a visit on Sunday, so will give more update then.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011, 5:31 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Thank you Brent

by Northmen4ever (Login Northmen4ever)

Please give our love to Frank and his family when you see him...These posts mean a lot to us..One of the finer gentleman in the game with or without the stripes....We are all praying for you Frank...keep fighting...

Posted on Apr 22, 2011, 6:57 PM
from IP address 184.147.12.37

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Whitby Intermediate Tryouts

by No1LaxFan (Login No1LaxFan)

The 2011 season is upon us. The Whitby Warriors Intermediate Team will soon be in full motion with tryouts April 26, 27 and 28. All tryouts are 7:30 9:00 at Luther Vipond Memorial Arena in Brooklin. Cost of the tryouts is $25.00 regardless of the number you attend, so be sure to show up for all of them. You must be registered with WMLA to go on the floor, so if you have not yet registered, please come prepared to register. If you are under 18, please bring a parent to sign the registration form. All new players are also required to bring a copy of your birth certificate. See you at the Arena.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 5:10 PM
from IP address 64.228.142.83

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Frank Lawrence

Just to give every one an update on the condition of Frank. He had a couple of rough days, but Tuesday was a better day. He is still in ICU and in critical condition. Keep those prayers coming.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 7:45 AM
from IP address 209.202.84.1

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Just heard the news

by John Conflitti (Login jconflitti13)

Brent,

I just heard the news about Frank, thoughts and prayers

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 8:45 AM
from IP address 150.199.185.253

Respond to this message

Return to Index

What Happened?

by Terry (Login lacrossefriend)

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
from IP address 24.57.242.23

Respond to this message

Return to Index

See the thread called "Lax Prayers Needed" N/M

by ptbo (Login laxpro)

N/M

Posted on Apr 20, 2011, 7:38 PM
from IP address 98.124.48.104

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Novice West Scores?

by blueandblack (Login blueandblack)

Does anybody have any Novice West scores from the past weekend?

Posted on Apr 19, 2011, 9:49 AM
from IP address 67.201.176.52

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Toronto Stars First Weekend of Peewee Field lacrosse

by Gary (Login kemplen)

On Saturday the Toronto Stars went to play there first ever field game and experienced the rain , cold and the reality of playing lacrosse in April. Once they over game the shock of the weather they played very well for their first game and lost to Newmarket 8 - 5. I am sure that Newmarket will not look forward to playing the Stars again the next time.

After the boys realized they wouldn't freeze to death, in their second game of the day they played an amazing field game and beat Peterborough 1 7 - 5 even with a short 8 players. I am sure that the Peterborough organization did not expect the Toronto Stars to play them that well.

Overall it was an amazing day, the players just loved it and they played like they has played field for years, the coaches were very impressed.

The coaches of the team made the following comments about their players.

The Toronto Stars Goalie Owen was a monster in net. Making about 20 - 25 saves in the two games.

Long poles - all you guys stepped up today and made some big stops. You were there to pick up important loose balls, and there was lots of impressive stick checking and footwork. Keep doing what your doing - Matt B. Noah, Clint, Quinten C, Hayden

Midfield - played an excellent two way game, making big plays in all areas of the field, from O to D to Transitioning (where you looked like seasoned vets on a lot of your fast breaks. We hit hard and were first to a lot of the loose balls. On offence we set - up a nice looking offence and executed - Cameron, Adam, Dalton, Matt D, Quinten H, Aidan, Ian, Jacob, Mikey great work today!

Attack - was impressive today! We put the ball in the net. You fed the ball when middies were open and we executed a lot of nice plays. - Josh, Chris, Brandon you did an excellent job!

What a great start of the season , looking forward to next week , see you all on the field.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011, 3:29 PM
from IP address 64.228.157.144

Respond to this message

Return to Index

found nintendo ds

by lax coach (Login eagles15)

We played on the Hershey Field at 6pm. There was a nintendo ds with several games in the pouch left in the dressing room
after I was the last out I have it in my possesion but will take it to the Hershey Centres lost and found this week. You can pick it up
next Saturday as there is another tourney there this weekend. Sorry that I did not drop off right away but I thought best I take it
as I would do my best to get it back to the rightful owner

Posted on Apr 17, 2011, 12:49 PM
from IP address 173.34.118.65

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Lax Prayers Needed

by Mark W (Login the_laxian)

Hey all, those of you who have seen Frank Lawrence ref in Field and Box - knows what he brings to the table.
At a Jr game the other night in St Kitts, Frank had a severe heart attack. He was taken to Hamilton General Hospital where emergengy heart surgery was performed. At present he is in critical condition.

Keep sending your prayers for a quick and safe recovery.

Mark

Posted on Apr 16, 2011, 7:16 PM
from IP address 24.102.32.34

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Lax Prayers Needed

by PCO6 (Login PCO6)

Very sorry to hear that. Frank has put a lot into the game and I wish him all the best.

Posted on Apr 16, 2011, 11:40 PM
from IP address 99.250.120.36

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Get well soon. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

by tc9lax (Login tc9lax)

Frank was one of the big reasons I stayed in many games in my career. Helped me look at the game a lot different. Get well soon

Posted on Apr 17, 2011, 1:14 PM
from IP address 99.227.235.6

Respond to this message

Return to Index

What a wonderful man

by A (Login analwarts)

Godspeed Frank.

Posted on Apr 17, 2011, 9:34 PM
from IP address 67.70.23.191

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Here's to a quick recovery

by Drawman (Login drawman)

Frank is an ambassador of the game.
His family and lacrosse family can not afford to lose a man of his stature.
Your in OT buddy, time to bring you're top game and pull through this.

Your pal,

Rick Webster

Posted on Apr 18, 2011, 8:23 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Frank Lawrence

by (Login Laxreff888)

I would like to get the correct news out regarding our friend Frank Lawrence.
He did not have a massive heart attack. He had the aorta rupture. Yes, Frank is still is critical condition at Hamilton General. The family would like to thank everyone for there kind thoughts and emails. At this time, the family is asking for all of us to continue to pray for Frank.

Your's in Lacrosse

Brent McCauley

Posted on Apr 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
from IP address 209.202.84.1

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Frank Lawrence

by Barry Trood (Login rememberourvets)

Our thoughts are with you Frank. As has been said a great guy on and off the floor.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011, 9:34 AM
from IP address 99.239.165.172

Respond to this message

Return to Index

The Toronto Stars Peewee Filed Teams Kicks off the First season this Saturday April 16

by Gary (Login kemplen)

The Toronto Stars Peewee Field team start the first season this Saturday at the Mississauga / Hershey Centre. The boys are really excited about the challenge and I am sure they will not let the coaching staff down.

They have an early start at 8:00 AM vs Newmarket 1, Iceland field 2

They then play at 10:30 vs Peterborough, Iceland field 1

Come out and support the Stars.

Go Stars Go

Posted on Apr 12, 2011, 12:40 PM
from IP address 64.228.156.24

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: The Toronto Stars Peewee Filed Teams Kicks off the First season this Saturday April 16

by (Login 007lax007)

Good luck, Gary!

For some reason, Barrie has been shifted to the West this year, but perhaps we'll face you at Provincials!

Posted on Apr 13, 2011, 12:30 PM
from IP address 67.71.148.47

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Due to Demand - 2 more registration dates for West Durham Lacrosse

by West Durham Minor Lacrosse (Login WestDurhamMinorLacrosse)

There will be two more registration sessions at Don Beer Pad 1 Lobby:

Saturday, April 9 10:00 am - 1:00 pm

Sunday, April 10 11:00 am - 4:00 pm

See you there!!!

Posted on Apr 7, 2011, 11:54 PM
from IP address 99.243.53.69

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Check out the Toronto Stars Website: http://starslacrosse.ca/

by Gary (Login kemplen)

I suggest that you chack out the new Toronto Stars Web site , it has great information and worth the visit

http://starslacrosse.ca/

A couple of key dates:

The Stars Opening Day is April 17th , stay tune the complete schedule to be released shortly.

The Stars also produced their first newslater posted on the website , have a read it is very informative.

Yours in Lacrosse

Posted on Apr 7, 2011, 11:56 AM
from IP address 70.52.174.213

Respond to this message

Return to Index

OLA player certificates, "cards"

I know there is a move on with some clubs to register players electronically, and not sure if there are still actual paper OLA player certificates behind that process (I'm assuming so), but why does the OLA not combined the two, essentially identical, player certificate forms for minor Box and Field. I'm only guessing that it would cut down on some paperwork, not to mention reduce a bunch of paper, while likely saving money.

Posted on Apr 7, 2011, 11:17 AM

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Censorship

by Wayne Paddick (Login kwlaxref)

Censoring a forum such as this is never an easy decision for a moderator. Watching two adults verbally duke it out is often humourous and necessary for this forum to continue to generate interest within the OLA world. Folks, we ask that when children are involved, we please use our heads, even if we feel our comments are justified. As Glen and Ron used to say, and now Todd, BE NICE!!!

Todd has worked hard to keep this site afloat and if everyone plays by the rules and abides by the guidlines of fair play, then I can assure you that once Oshawa Minor Lacrosse has cleaned up at the provies this year (lol), Todd will make some necessary improvements to this site come the fall. If we keep poking the bear with a stick, (grrr,) then the likelihood of the site being shut down is a possibility.

Let's all get along in the sand box please!!!

Wayne Paddick

Posted on Apr 5, 2011, 7:02 PM
from IP address 174.88.203.181

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Re: Censorship

by (Login -Shane-)

What if I like throwing sand?

Posted on Apr 6, 2011, 12:14 PM
from IP address 99.230.157.236

Respond to this message

Return to Index

You'll get a time out in the corner? n/m

Posted on Apr 6, 2011, 3:50 PM
from IP address 74.12.53.168

Respond to this message

Return to Index

St.Catharines Masters Lacrosse League

by (Login laxgole00)

The lacrosse season is fast approaching. Our registration for this season is Saturday April 2nd at the Dog Pound on Merritt St., St. Catharines from 12 noon until 4pm. Attached is the registration form for this year. If you can't make the registration date, please mail the registration form back to me with your cheque.
If you have any questions or concerns, please send me an e-mail.
Please forward the registration form to friends and get the word out to the lacrosse community.

Geoff Crane
St. Catharines Masters Lacrosse

Posted on Apr 1, 2011, 5:40 PM
from IP address 216.121.246.185

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Toronto Stars Fund raising Poker Night April 2 Harmony Hall

by Gary (Login kemplen)

last call for the Stars Poker Night

Toronto Stars Lacrosse is hosting a fund raiser Poker Tournament on April 2nd at Harmony Hall (Dawes & Gower) the price is $60 for entry into the game, along with dinner, door prizes, and a cash bar. There will also be a silent auction, crown & anchor, raffles, toonie toss etc etc.

Prizes for the poker will be cash - amounts to be determined. If you are eliminated in the early rounds, you will have a chance to buy back in, or a top up, but not both.

We are limited to 100 players so get your tickets fast.

Tickets are available from:
Donna Brockerville
Tammy Coates
Brenda Lint
Rick, Dona Lei Fitchet
Ross Greene

You don't have to be an expert poker player, just a wannaabee. We hope we can count in you for your support and hope to see you for this fun filled event

Please let me know if you are interested in attending and I will hold a ticket for you.

dbrockville@sympatico.ca

Posted on Apr 1, 2011, 8:27 AM
from IP address 70.52.173.17

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Decline of Registration for Kids

by FoxLax (Login FoxLax)

How Can the OLA let the Gloucester Lacrosse ***. decline registration for kids wanting to play there national sport in there own association with no reason . Nine kids . The GLA and OLA should Be ashamed of themselves.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011, 2:21 PM
from IP address 192.234.223.100

Return to Index

Re: Decline of Registration for Kids

by GLA1 (Login GLA1)

I can belive it the GLA has been going down hill for the last couple of years .

Posted on Mar 31, 2011, 2:46 PM
from IP address 192.234.223.100

Return to Index

Pointless diatribes!

Thanks for posting your ranting complaint but perhaps we could get some information to give more colour to the story other than "9 kids were denied at registration by the evil-doers of Gloucester".

For all we know, the 9 kids were from outside of Gloucester's boundaries and this GLA was perfectly justified in denying their registration without releases.

More details please.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011, 5:00 PM
from IP address 142.245.193.3

Return to Index

Re: Decline of Registration for Kids

by jimbo (Login jimmylax)

im guessing the GLA was justified and probably addressed long standing .... behaviour. Just a guess. Nepean should do the same. I heard that it was 3 families. Good for them for cleaning up the nonsense.

This message has been edited by tsitshoh from IP address 74.12.53.168 on Apr 5, 2011 4:07 PM
This message has been edited by tsitshoh from IP address 74.12.53.168 on Apr 5, 2011 4:05 PM

Posted on Mar 31, 2011, 5:19 PM
from IP address 70.48.55.53

Return to Index

**** PLEASE NOTE *****

I have received some further information about this particular scenario and it appears that there are different outcomes as posted.  In a disucssion with a few parties, I have made some edits based on fair play and reputation.  Sure, we might not know who is involved, but some in the GLA do and it is in the best interests to edit and lock.

I don't like censoring posts since even unflattering opinion could be legitimate material for discussion.  However, since young children are involved, I would prefer to err on the side of caution.

I hope this is acceptable to everyone.

Skennen

...Todd Powless...

Posted on Apr 5, 2011, 4:03 PM
from IP address 74.12.53.168

Return to Index

2011 EDGE 88 Summer Camp Dates Announced!

by (Login Edgelacrosse)

EDGE 88 in continued partnership with Zack Greer are pleased to announce the dates and locations for our 2011 EDGE 88 summer camps!

Edge 88 Mission - provide a high value camp experience that includes top notch coaching, quality drills and instruction, fun and exposure to the field lacrosse game and a one of kind camp experience for the athlete!

2011 EDGE 88 Camp Dates and Locations:

OAKVILLE, ON APPLEBY COLLEGE JULY 11TH-14TH

HAMILTON, ON MOHAWK SPORTS COMPLEX JULY 18TH 21ST

TORONTO, ON CHERRY BEACH FIELDS JULY 25TH- 28TH

HALIFAX, NS BURNSIDE FIELDS AUGUST 15TH 18TH

OTTAWA, ON TRILLIUM FIELDS AUGUST 22ND 25TH

Camp Details:

9am- 4pm Daily

Campers must bring their own lunch

Camp is open to players of ALL AGES

Head Camp Director Zack Greer will be coaching all of our summer camps in 2011, and he'll be bringing along a few of his friends. Current MLL/NLL/NCAA players Joe Walters, Billy Dee Smith, Jordan MacIntosh and Bill Greer will all be featured at an EDGE88 Camp this summer.

Zack Greer is a 4 X All American, and currently holds the NCAA record for most goals and points in a season. Greer currently plays for the MLL Long Island Lizards NLL Edmonton Rush.

For additional camp details, please visit us athttp://www.edge88.com/

Early bird pricing available until MAY 1st 2011! Sign up NOW to secure your spot at camp with Zack Greer and EDGE 88!

To register online today for one of our upcoming camps, please visithttp://www.edge88.com/camps.php

Posted on Mar 30, 2011, 4:06 PM
from IP address 70.55.218.51

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Welland Raiders Girls Lacrosse

by (Login girlslax)

Welland Raiders Minor Lacrosse is happy to announce they are holding registrations for a Girls U19 Field team and a Girls Midget/Intermediate Box Team for the 2011 Season.

Registration will be held at Ecole Du Sacre Coeur, 310 Fitch Street, Welland on:

Saturday April 2nd 12:00pm 3:00pm
Sunday April 3rd 12:00pm 3:00pm
Wednesday April 6th 6:00pm 8:00pm
Thursday April 7th 6:00pm 8:00pm

Visit the Association Website
www.wellandraiderslacrosse.ca
for more information

Posted on Mar 29, 2011, 11:43 PM
from IP address 76.64.217.95

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Barrie South Simcoe Minor Lacrosse - Registration and Intro Clinics on Sunday!

by (Login 007lax007)

Lacrosse season is almost here!

BSSMLA will be holding a registration day, along with clinics for new and returning players this Sunday, March 27th at the Lampman Lane Community Centre.

Please visithttp://www.tornadolacrosse.com/clinics.html for more information on tomorrow's session.

New and returning players are welcome. This is a great chance to try lacrosse for the first time, or for experienced players to get in a pre-season work-out.

Please e-mail tornadolacrosse@rogers.com if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 26, 2011, 9:02 PM
from IP address 70.27.234.103

Respond to this message

Return to Index

registration and prac info SPARTAN INT LACROSSE

by spartan int lacrosse (Login cloveronback)

good day all spartan int lacrosse will hold a reg and prac session on thur april 14.. 7 45 pm for reg and we are on thefloor from 830 to 930 we are at merritton arena anyone interested in playing come on out .......

Posted on Mar 26, 2011, 3:58 PM
from IP address 199.27.129.77

Respond to this message

Return to Index

2013 PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONS
Tyke: Whitby (A), Oshawa (B), Barrie (C), Stars (D), Windsor (E)
Novice: Mimico (A), Innisfil (B), Orillia (C), Wallaceburg (D), Kawartha Lakes (E) Nepean (F)
Peewee: Whitby (A), Wallaceburg (B), Cambridge (C), Huntsville (D), London (E) NOTL (F)
Bantam: St. Catharines (A), Owen Sound (B), Oakville (C), Wallaceburg (D) Nepean (E)
Midget: Orangeville (A), Owen Sound (B), Cornwall (C), Orangeville (D)
Intermediate: Beaches (A), Six Nations (B), Sudbury (C)
Bantam Girls: Centre Wellington (A), Six Nations (B), Sarnia (C)
Midget Girls: Whitby (A), Hamilton (B), Sarnia (C)
Intermediate Girls: Whitby (A), NOTL (B), Kitchener-Waterloo (C)