Forums for all who enjoy sharing information about New Orleans food, drink, history...                       
Forums Index   Food   Nostalgia   Recipes   Soap Box   Pets   Books   Media   Reviews   Gardening   Abbreviations   Food Blog   WAG   TWS

Support the Locals

By using the following links you will support local businesses, authors, & entrepreneurs and help to pay the forum rent -- and it won't cost you a penny more.

The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

Northshore Tennis

Lake Pontchartrain
Catherine Campanella
Order online at Octavia Books
(Support the Locals)

or Order at Amazon.com

Ruby Slippers
Amy Cyrex Sins
(Support the Locals)

or Order at Amazon

Gumbo Tales
Sarah Roahen
or Order at Amazon

Books by Poppy Z. Brite
or Order at Amazon.com

And the nonlocals:
Just about anything you might want can now be found on Amazon. Begin your search here.

Cheese:
Cheese and More

Various Food Items:
New Orleans Seafood Boil Supplies
Ethel M Confections
Port Chatham Smoked Seafood

Gifts:
Harry and David
Wine Country Gift Baskets

Sewing:
Sewing Products

Today's Deals at Amazon

Return to Forum Home  

As I mentioned in the food forum, Marine One clattered over our house...

September 2 2007 at 4:26 PM
JCG  (no login)

Response to I find it strange that..when I went into the NOLA

... taking the president and his entourage to dinner with a curiously motley crew of White House hangers-on and localites at Dooky Chase's; but there wasn't much else to report.

The following morning there was a photo-op at a school in New Orleans (which reminded me uncannily of the photo-op of the president reading to children at a school on 9/11 - six years ago next week - which photo-op he seemed dilatory in leaving to deal with America under attack).

There was no stirring address in Jackson Square this time before Mr Bush took off to fly to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, utter some platitudes, and depart.

But at least on this trip his mishandlers didn't persuade him to appear in New Orleans in a flight suit or a recovery worker's outfit; or fly a banner claiming "Mission Accomplished!" - like the one draped aboard the carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln in 2003, saying that we had "prevailed" in the Middle East!

Mr Bush, nevertheless, is currently our elected president (for whom I was part of his minority popular vote in 2004); and I believe him to be a sincere man who is doing his best. It just isn't very good: he has resolved to be misserved by an ill-chosen, overly secretive top-level administration and some very questionable advisors who seem to strive above all to shield him from reality.

But Mr Bush has made more than a dozen visits to our hurricane-stricken areas (and other disaster sites) since Katrina/Rita; and that is commendable. It's easy - and wrong - to denigrate such appearances as mere photo-ops; and therefore insincere. They are something that a head of state has to do - even monarchs and dictators do it - to reassure their people that the nation cares and that the government is not neglecting us.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Soap Box

Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password   Contact Mr. Lake