CROSSROADS OF FAITH

Return to Main Board  

It seems I "can't win"!~

August 7 2006 at 3:55 PM

Vince  (Login MoxiFox)
One

Response to more like scattershot.

I DO read your posts carefully but ....... if I was to address EVERY single point, our "conversation" would balloon into something enormous and unstable. So I attempt to focus on and address, specific points. If you noticed, in the last reply, I took about 5 of your paragraphs and stripped out the filler ...... quoted them and then made a blanket response. But it seems to me (from long-standing experience) that people on the defensive tend to "pick" on "faults" of the other person, in order to derail the "program".

You want to stay with what ........ with 'harmony of the gospels' then?

I could do that, I suppose.

So you say that Jesus was ....

[ "The Gospels were written by four different authors, and corroborate each other. Jesus was not a political leader. He didn't command an army. He wasn't a king. He didn't lead a revolution. He was a working man, a carpenter -- then at some point he gave up his trade, gave up his home, and wandered around from town to town, preaching and teaching in one very small part of the world. He was arrested and crucified by the Romans -- but so were thousands and thousands of other people over the years. If you don't believe Jesus was the Son of God, then he is a very insignificant person in history -- it's amazing that there is any secular documentation about Jesus at all. Why would Jesus be any more than a tiny footnote in Jewish history? They don't believe he was the Messiah." ]

a pretty insignificant person and no WONDER so little was known about him in secular circles.

But he WASN'T insignificant at all! Not if you believe those 4 accounts.

My goodness, he had crowds following him and pressing him so severely, he had to row across the lake (one time) to get some rest and peace! He started his ministry in the Galilee (northern part) but he 'zig-zagged' across the Jordon river too. He had people flocking to see him from Syria, Lebanon and Jordon (different names then ; Matthew 4:25 And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan.
Mark 7:31 And again, departing from the coasts of Tyre and Sidon, he came unto the sea of Galilee, through the midst of the coasts of Decapolis. )

He worked MIRACLES which drew the crowds. How many people do you know or have you encountered ANYWHERE ......... who can work supernatural miracles?

He had a voice speak to him from the clouds on numerous occasions ....... with attendant witnesses. His birth was heralded by angels, addressed by wise men from the east .... who tipped off Herod ..... who had all kids under 2yo in the country KILLED! You don't think any parents ever wondered WHY their kids were being killed?! Someone "knew" why ........ or we wouldn't be able to read about it today!

His death triggered simultaneous ........ earthquake, total eclipse of the sun, people rising from their graves and the temple veil being torn from top to bottom. His resurrection triggered ANOTHER earthquake (which rolled the stone away from his grave). His grave was found empty. His ascension was witnessed by a crowd of people -Acts ....(though THIS is not corroborated in other accounts. where he stuck with ONLY the 12 after his resurrection)

There is absolutely NOTHING normal, natural or low-key recorded in print about him ... and naturally, EVERYTHING he ever did .......... was practically unbelievable. And yet you claim that he was just a simple man who went unnoticed by the secular world around him?

Take a reality check Kate. If such a fellow were to be alive TODAY ...... and do all the things Jesus was purported to have done ........ can you IMAGINE him remaining virutally anonymous?? Not a snow-ball's chance in hell!!~~ Everyone is ALWAYS intrigued/fascinated by the extraordinary.

Unless you believe that all of this stuff was pretty "normal" in those days ...... Jesus would have been a MAGNET for attention.

-Vince

Respond to this message   
Responses

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Different Beliefs and Personal Faiths