<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rock history chalkboard

October 15 2003 at 1:21 PM
Score 1.0 (1 person)

(Premier Login spindaddydad)
Forum Owner

Here is an image of the School of Rock chalk board with Dewey's history of Rock with easy to read translation:

chalkboard.jpg

[linked image]

This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Aug 1, 2012 1:30 PM
This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Aug 1, 2012 1:28 PM
This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Aug 1, 2012 1:28 PM
This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Sep 14, 2006 10:28 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
sisterrae
(no login)

Re: Rock history chalkboard

No score for this post
December 16 2003, 10:14 AM 

A few more...

New Wave: Blondie, B-52's

80's: Butthole Surfers

Southern Rock: Dr. John

Rap: Ice T

ramblinjam
(no login)

No score for this post
August 11 2004, 7:32 PM 

whos Dr. John? (Southern rock: dr. john)

Forum Owner

No score for this post
August 12 2004, 7:30 AM 

He did Iko Iko!...you know, "Iko Iko All Day" Anyone know any of his other hits.

I realize I'm over-explaining but here goes:

Dr. John
(Born 12th November 1940 in New Orleans)

Born Malcolm John Rebennnack in New Orleans, by 1957 Dr. John had already established a fine reputation as a session man of some repute and he also composed the hit 'Lights Out' for Jerry Byrne (1958). In 1962 he moved to Los Angeles and was highly sought after by any number of producers, including Phil Spector and Harold Battiste amongst others. It was during the next few years he developed the persona of Dr. John Creaux the Night Tripper, pulling together traditional New Orleans R&B with West Coast Rock. The 1968 album "Gris Gris" failed to sell in large quantities but became a favourite with the critics and included the classic 'Walk On Gilded Splinters'.

In 1972, after a couple of Gris Gris type follow-ups, Dr. John went back to his New Orleans roots with the superb "Gumbo", a collection of New Orleans R&B standards. Both the album and the 'Iko Iko' single became hits. "In The Right Place" was the acclaimed follow up (1973) and included 'Right Place, Wrong Time' and 'Such A Night', both successful singles. "Desitvely Bonnaroo" continued in much the same vein and he continued to record, somewhat sporadically throughout the 70s and 80s, putting together occasionally superb sets such as the solo piano "Dr. John plays Mac Rebennack", an album of New Orleans standards and a superb return to form. The early 90s saw the release of another wonderful album, the Grammy award winning "Going Back To New Orleans", a title which sums up the music on the silver disc perfectly - he's still recording and still producing fine music.

Dr. John was and is the consummate New Orleans musician, a fine musicologist and a great player. He incorporates funk, rock and roll, jazz and, of course, R&B into his overall sound and it comes out sounding unique. His distinctive growl is unmistakable, if an acquired taste, and his piano playing is exemplary. His status has probably always been higher among critics and fellow artists than the record buying public. If you want to here what all the fuss is about, then get the 2CD Dr. John Anthology "Mos’ Scocious" released on the Rhino label (8122-71450-2 in the UK) - it's a fine overview to date of a career far from over, with an excellent booklet and liner notes; a wonderful introduction to Dr. John's very personal music and vision.

Baldho
(no login)

One missing

No score for this post
December 16 2003, 6:12 PM 

Just above Heavy Metal and Black Sabbath is Motor Head

Forum Owner

No score for this post
December 17 2003, 7:36 AM 

Here is a translation of the chalkboard. Some entries are illegible however. 

Baldho
(no login)

Missing

No score for this post
December 17 2003, 10:15 PM 

There are arrows missing, one to Hip Hip and another one to Prog Rock

Baldho
(no login)

Re: Missing

No score for this post
December 17 2003, 10:31 PM 

And another one from Hard Rock to New Wave, and the two arrows to heavy metal are the wrong direction.

There is jimi Hendrix on the arrow from Psychedelic Rock to Hard Rock

To the right of Folk Rock is not roy orbison. It looks like Dave Mason or something.

Under southern rock, 3rd is ZZ Top

Arrow from british invasion to Pop Rock is missing.

Also, who really did this graphic?

(no login)

Rap

No score for this post
January 4 2004, 2:36 AM 

The question marks by Ice T are Ice Cube.

(no login)

Rock History Chalkboard recreated

No score for this post
January 10 2004, 10:55 AM 

Hey All:

I'm not a rock geneology expert, but I have friends that are and therefore being somewhat of a graphic artist I decided to re-create Dewey's Chalkboard using Adobe Illustrator. I've actually recreated it poster size (36 x 22) as a gift for someone. The translation and redrawing currently posted isn't bad, but there are some mistakes. I've also recreated it like an actual chalkboard using a "chalk-like font" on a dark green slate. I am still missing a few entries adjacent to the left of Southern Rock and some to the right of Pop Rock.

Wasn't easy to find the additions, but the longer you stare at the thing, the more it becomes clear. Also, typing the genre and what you think might be the entry into GOOGLE is a good way to find the answer. Anyway, the errors in the recreation are as follows:

1) Under Hip Hop - Barry E. Flack - is really Doug E. Fresh. Also, under Eric B. is Boggie Down Productions.

2) Above Jackson Browne is Credence Clearwater Revival

3) I think next to Pop Rock, the 1st and 3rd entries are Beach Boys and Elton John respectively. (not sure though)

Forum Owner

Re: Rock History Chalkboard recreated

No score for this post
January 12 2004, 7:18 AM 

Good job Geoff. We're getting down to the nitty gritty (no pun intended). Stay tuned to see if anyone else has any changes.

(no login)

Got it all

No score for this post
January 12 2004, 5:00 PM 

Ok - with a little help from my friend at work, we were able to figure out the missing artists:

1) The additional "SOUL" artists next to Marvine Gaye, et. al. include from top to bottom:

Issac Hays
Al Green
Sly & The Family Stone

2) To the right of Pop Rock the artists are from top to bottom:

Beach Boys (Still not sure about that, but it's not wrong)
Kiss
Elton John
Neil Diamond

last but not least...

3) Under Donna Summer in "DISCO" is KC & The Sunshine Band.

That's everything. The chart is complete. Now, I have a recreated 34 x 22 poster size version of this chart that prints out at a high resolution. It's in a PDF format. Any takers?

Geoff

(no login)

PDF

No score for this post
January 25 2004, 11:03 PM 

Geoff,
I'm looking to recreate the history of rock for my brothers birthday...... Can I get yours in a larger format for a template!! THX......... you can email it to me as an attachment if you like. laurel.crothers@nau.edu

(no login)

I want two posters!

No score for this post
February 27 2004, 3:06 PM 

How do I get your poster dude?

(no login)

Poster Availability

No score for this post
March 4 2004, 1:57 PM 

Ok - I have had a number of people emailing me requesting a copy of the poster size school of rock "rock history chart."

I understand the poster is in demand, but the problem is that I created a virtual replica of the chalkboard seen in the movie. As a result, I am not really at liberty to distribute the file to the public at large, as it's technically copyright infringement. I made one version as a gift for someone.

...but don't give up hope just yet.

What I have offered to do is to modify the current version (approximately 17% or so) and make that available for people online. The new version will bear some resemblance to the movie version, but will be fundamentally different so as to absolve me of any potential copyright infringement problems.

I am however, quite busy these days, but I will certainly try to get around to it.

Please post whether you'd be interested in a modified version.

Geoff

(no login)

School of Rock Poster

No score for this post
November 17 2004, 11:01 AM 

Can I get that large-sized pdf? I'd love to see it.

--Pete

Forum Owner

Re: Re: Rock history chalkboard

No score for this post
January 19 2004, 3:46 PM 

Here is the completed Rock History Chalk Board. Thanks to Geoff for all of his hard work.

rockhistorychart.gif 

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Re: Re: Rock history chalkboard

No score for this post
January 19 2004, 4:45 PM 

can we have it in a bigger format so we could read..??

Tim
(no login)

Re: Re: Re: Rock history chalkboard

No score for this post
March 29 2004, 10:28 AM 

could you psot the blackboard computer-remake a bit bigger please?

Kev
(no login)

Bigger Please

No score for this post
December 16 2004, 8:14 PM 

I'm sorry for bringing this thread back up, but it would be really great if I could get a bigger version of the green chart. I can read what is written on the white one be I can't on the green one. If you could, it would be really great.

Thanks.

(no login)

Rock History Chalkboard

No score for this post
January 12 2005, 7:17 PM 

Hey I was wondering if you could blow that up a little bigger and send it to me, thank you I would appreciate

(no login)

Velvet Underground

Score 5.0 (1 person)
July 31 2004, 8:51 AM 

Psychedelic Furs under Psychedelic Rock is actually Velvet Underground

Bob
(no login)

blackboard

No score for this post
January 29 2006, 8:29 AM 

THANKS A LOT

A. noamous
(no login)

Chalkboard

No score for this post
February 15 2008, 10:54 AM 

Can you please place on this message board a higher res pictures of your white chalkboard as I canot enlarge it, without it losing lots of its quality.

thx

kate
(no login)

No score for this post
December 17 2003, 11:04 AM 

Rock a Billy:
under Elvis is the "Everly Brothers"

Heavy Metal:
under Black Sabbath, "D&D" should be "Dio" -- as in Ronnie James Dio -- Tenacious D sings a song about him

Prog. Rock: "Presidents" should be "Residents"

Baldho
(no login)

change

No score for this post
January 1 2004, 10:19 PM 

Replace "R&B" by "Rib". I THINK Rib is an actual genre of music. Well i'm sure little richard is not R&B (as far as i know R&B)

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: change

No score for this post
March 2 2004, 3:34 PM 

original R&B just meant Rhythm and Blues, and it was a type of Jazz... not like the "hip-hop"-esque R&B you're probably thinking of

(no login)

the unknown band under Folk is....

No score for this post
January 16 2004, 7:36 AM 

the Kingston Trio!!!!

(no login)

I Made a Replica

No score for this post
March 18 2004, 12:36 AM 

I have made a replica of the School of Rock blackboard and am willing to sell it. I can send a high-quality large poster-size JPEG to anyone. I have a complete list of bands, complete set of arrows pointing in the right direction, and a chalkboard font on a chalkboard-green background.

(no login)

plz send

No score for this post
April 13 2004, 12:55 AM 

if you would be so kind as to send that jpeg to me i would like to see it and consider purchasing this replica you speak of

Chris
(no login)

I want it!!

No score for this post
April 13 2004, 11:55 AM 

How do I get it?

(no login)

Send Me Ur Email

No score for this post
April 29 2004, 6:54 PM 

Email me with your email address.

(no login)

chalkboard rock

No score for this post
August 6 2004, 10:07 AM 

may I please see the replica? Its got to be kick ass. I want it!

John Hughan
(no login)

Re: chalkboard rock

No score for this post
December 26 2008, 8:16 PM 

Hey, it's been a while since I checked this forum. I know you posted this a long time ago, but a few people have emailed me with requests for the chalkboard and I finally decided to see whether anyone had posted without emailing. If you're still interested in a copy, email me at jhughan@pacbell.net. Sorry for such a long delay!

Thanks,
John

John Hughan
(no login)

Re: I want it!!

No score for this post
December 26 2008, 8:15 PM 

Hey, it's been a while since I checked this forum. I know you posted this a long time ago, but a few people have emailed me with requests for the chalkboard and I finally decided to see whether anyone had posted without emailing. If you're still interested in a copy, email me at jhughan@pacbell.net. Sorry for such a long delay!

Thanks,
John

Jason Scott
(no login)

can't sell it

No score for this post
May 7 2004, 11:10 AM 

I don't think you legally can sell the replica you made because you copied the contents of the chalkboard in the movie almost word-for-word. It's copyrighted.

Geoff
(no login)

That's what I've been saying

No score for this post
May 12 2004, 4:22 PM 

Folks..I know how much you want to have the replica, but the problem is, it is in fact copyrighted and therefore I would neither sell nor distribute it without the expressed written consent from Paramount. If the replica were to be altered about 17%, then I'd reconsider, since I believe copyright infringement is not applicable to things showing a 17% variance from the originally inspired piece.

I do appreciate the interest though.

(no login)

SCHOOL OF ROCK BOARD...

No score for this post
October 25 2004, 7:12 PM 

can you send me a bigger version of your black board gif. its unreadable...

(no login)

copyright permission

No score for this post
June 26 2006, 11:53 PM 

I would love to get a copy for my husband for a gift. Have you ever thought about contacting the studio for permission to make and sell a copy?

(no login)

Re: I Made a Replica

No score for this post
November 29 2004, 3:55 PM 

How much for the blackboard jpg

John Hughan
(no login)

No score for this post
December 26 2008, 8:18 PM 

Hey it's been a while sinec I checked this forum. Some people emailed me about getting a copy of the chalkboard replica I made, but it never occurred to me that some people might have just posted without contacting me directly. If you're still interested in a copy, email me at jhughan@pacbell.net. Sorry for such a long delay.

Thanks,
John

(Login baldin1976)

I want it

No score for this post
July 8 2013, 4:51 AM 

Hi cuold you send to me a highquality replica of the blackboard?

thank you

A. nonamous
(no login)

No score for this post
February 24 2008, 9:57 AM 

can you plese tell me on this message how yo get this enlarged JPEG u speak of

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
December 26 2008, 8:18 PM 

Hey it's been a while since I checked this forum. Some people emailed me about getting a copy of the chalkboard replica I made, but it never occurred to me that some people might have just posted without contacting me directly. If you're still interested in a copy, email me at jhughan@pacbell.net. Sorry for such a long delay.

Thanks,
John

kevin clark
(no login)

ME!

No score for this post
May 28 2004, 10:09 AM 

hey guys im really glad that u all love me. i think its pretty amaizing to be known this well too!
anyway i came to say thanks and i hope u lot keep well
bye xxx

Angie
(no login)

Its on the DVD Rom!

No score for this post
October 3 2004, 5:29 PM 

If you put your School of Rock DVD into a computer with DVD Rom Capabilities, there are several options...and one will lead you into a fully detailed interactive replica of the chalkboard! Its really interesting, with bios and info on all the artists listed on it!

Kev
(no login)

No score for this post
December 16 2004, 8:17 PM 

I'm sorry for bringing this thread back up, but it would be really great if I could get a bigger version of the green chart. I can read what is written on the white one be I can't on the green one. If you could, it would be really great.

Thanks.

benita
(no login)

No score for this post
January 30 2005, 6:05 PM 

Anthony
(no login)

school of rock

No score for this post
March 15 2005, 11:50 AM 

does anyone know that song that jack black plays while he is daydreaming in class

(no login)

Bonzo Goes to Bitburg

No score for this post
June 23 2005, 1:10 AM 

The song is by The Ramones, and it goes by two names: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg, and My Brain Is Hanging Upside-Down.

John

Shawn
(no login)

Answer to your question

No score for this post
November 21 2005, 12:42 AM 

Its just a minor progression. no song. A-, E, F, C, B/C back to A-.

Riley
(no login)

I play it like this

No score for this post
June 10 2006, 4:56 PM 

I play Dewey's song like this
Am E C G E Am
and then it just repeats, the other version sounds ok too.
-Rock Hard

june
(no login)

jack black song

No score for this post
July 15 2006, 10:26 PM 

I read this on IMDB

In the film, when the "groupies" approach Dewey at his desk to unveil the band's name they find him crooning a strange song and strumming his guitar. The song he is singing is the theme to the little known internet comedy series "COMPUTERMAN", starring Jack Black.

hope this helps

craig
(no login)

help help help

No score for this post
September 12 2006, 12:09 PM 

There is a song in this movie. When Jack is marching off to school while his roomie and girlfriend are at the table. It has lyrics that went : blah blah blah once. blah blah blah twice, im in love with. What is this song?

Forum Owner

Re: help help help

No score for this post
September 14 2006, 10:27 AM 

Did the lyrics actually contain blah blah blah, etc or were you substituting blah for whatever the words were? Kind of hard to tell without knowing the actual words.

beth
(no login)

Re: help help help

No score for this post
February 20 2009, 7:59 PM 

It's "Roadrunner" by The Modern Lovers

(no login)

poster

No score for this post
January 6 2008, 8:01 PM 

does anyone know where i can find a full sized poster of this? email me at rcollins923@aim.com if you do

Current Topic - Rock history chalkboard
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement