Return to Index  

Miralax

June 27 2011 at 1:45 PM
pixl  (no login)

Response to Congrats to all the good news!

Popping in from the PG after DE board, I just wanted to comment on Miralax use as I am on it daily (prescribed by GI doc) because of bowel adhesions and a history of bowel obstruction. I have been on it for a few years now. I am 33 weeks along and my GI doc, OB and peri are all completely fine with my daily Miralax use. Believe me, I asked them about it repeatedly!

Here's the thing with Miralax: the molecules are so large that they do not get out of your GI tract and into your bloodstream, so you don't have to worry about it crossing the placenta if it doesn't even cross into your own blood. And as you have probably found out, it works pretty subtly, no cramps or anything like that (which I understand is the concern with some constipation relief products during pregnancy - you don't want anything that could cause strong contractions in the bowel). Miralax just draws more water into your stools to make them softer without any cramping, much like colace does. Although colace doesn't seem to do anything for me. Still, I take the minimum effective dose, which is usually a half dose of Miralax daily.

Hope this gives a little reassurance!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thank you!!! - JulesM on Jun 27, 4:18 PM
  3. Is your baby ok? - Lana on Aug 9, 8:16 PM