Return to Index  

Baby not gaining weight...

December 8 2011 at 2:13 PM
Meg  (Login NateDog03)

and I'm really worried. Part of it may be that the baby scale at the pedi's office is broken, so they had to use an adult/big kid scale. (They weighed themselves, zeroed out their weight, and then weighed holding Aaron.) It said he weighed 7 lbs, 7 oz. Last Friday, the baby scale registered him at 7 lbs, 9 oz, which was his discharge weight from three days previous. However, when I went to the lactation consultant appt. that same day, they registered him at 7 lbs, 11 oz. They said he was taking something like 1.5 oz from each breast, which was plenty and they weren't concerned.

So, his weights since birth are the following:

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)
7 lbs, 9 oz (five days old, pedi baby scale)
7 lbs, 11 oz (five days old, hospital scale)
7 lbs, 7 oz (11 days old, pedi adult scale)

I'm so upset and not sure if I should be. Is it just the different scales? I tried to get a weight check from the hospital again today so I can at least compare using the same scale, but lactation still hasn't called me back. SIGH.

Aaron's been really sleepy, too, which I'm wondering if he's dozing more during feeds than I think. But I'm worried about why he's so sleepy. Even though this is my third child, they're all so different. But I'm worried that this is indicative of some sort of neurological disorder like DS#1 has. Is it normal to still be so sleepy at 11 days old? DS#2 was the opposite--crazy awake, never slept even as a newborn.

Sorry this is so rambling. I'm just really worried. I just pumped three oz from my left breast and will try giving that to Aaron after he takes from the right breast. (Pedi suggested this.)

So worried...

Meg

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. ugh sorry meg - jkl on Dec 8, 3:55 PM
  3. they checked him for jaundice right? - Amy on Dec 8, 4:05 PM
    1. You can feed him via a small medicine cup in order to - anonymous on Dec 9, 9:00 AM

4. Re: Baby not gaining weight... - Wren on Dec 9, 12:05 AM
    1. A chiropractor? - Mrs. A on Dec 11, 12:39 AM
      1. Was wondering, too...(nt) :-) - Meg on Dec 11, 10:49 AM

5. use only the same scale (BF and childs ment) - juliemam on Dec 9, 5:11 AM
  7. I had worried about this too - Kristen on Dec 9, 6:43 AM
  9. gah!! boards - sch1star on Dec 9, 9:10 AM
  11. just found this - sch1star on Dec 9, 9:19 AM
    1. THANK YOU ALL! - Meg on Dec 9, 4:09 PM
      1. yay! - sch1star on Dec 9, 6:22 PM
        1. Headaches... - Meg on Dec 11, 10:48 AM
      2. Glad to hear the good news! - Mrs. A on Dec 11, 1:01 AM
        1. Thank you... - Meg on Dec 11, 10:45 AM
          1. Pix - sch1star on Dec 11, 6:06 PM
            1. the only other option would be if you had the pics - Mrs. A on Dec 12, 3:23 PM
          2. THAT IS FANTASTIC!! - Mrs. A on Dec 12, 3:22 PM