Return to Index  

I think it's easy to get overwhelmed

April 21 2012 at 11:01 AM
ekb88  (no login)

Response to IF and my little one

If you pay attention to other peoples opinions. I'm a bit stubborn, which I think helps me manage my way through that constant bombardment you are talking about. It's almost shocking how much people think they can weigh in on your parenting. I think you just have to filter it all through your own experience and go from there.

When DS was 6 months I felt very pressured to start solids. It's the one child rearing moment I regret. I did it because I felt pressured, not because I thought he was ready. This is very unusual (meaning I don't want you to think this is a realistic concern for any infant starting solids), but he developed an intestinal blockage called an intusception (sp?) and had to have surgery. I had plans to fly to California with him for my good friends wedding, and of course we couldn't go. My instinct had been to wait on solids until after our trip, but I listened to random people and went ahead. If we had waited, he still might have gotten the intussception (unknown cause, but there is a known association with starting solids. Again, super-rare, do not worry about it!) but we likely would have made the trip.

Since then, I've been stronger about relying on my own opinion and thoughts instead of others. When the pediatrician said we should move DS to a toddler bed before he turned 2, I smiled and nodded but knew that wasn't the right thing for us. Do what you think is right for your family. There is a huge variation in children's development and temperament. You know your LO, trust yourself. I an sure you are doing a much better job than you think you are.

(and I second the previous poster about getting done "you time". Most Saturday mornings you'll find me alone at a diner with my newspaper, a waffle and a plate of bacon. Best hour of my week!)

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Also want to add - Ekb88 on Apr 21, 11:08 AM
  3. A friend's baby had that - Alli on Apr 21, 11:32 AM