Return to Index  

Congratulations!!! (and BFing a preemie advice)

April 30 2012 at 12:33 PM
Laura  (no login)

Response to my cup runneth over

Yay for no NICU time! happy.gif And lots of cuddles with baby! happy.gif

I had a preterm baby (34 wk), and even though 36 wk is late preterm, it's still preterm, so unfortunately everything you planned to do "right" has to go out the window. The first priority is to get your baby eating and growing. This might mean bottles for a while since preterm babies have a problem coordinating suck/swallow/breathe. AND THAT'S OK. It's doesn't mean you won't ever nurse exclusively. Pacifiers are also ok, because it helps develop their sucking muscles (when I delivered, I was like no way to both bottles and pacifiers, but the nurses were like, preterm babies don't act like full-term babies). I know with a full-term baby the advice is to keep both these away, but the truth is that she's not quite ready to nurse on her own yet and will need help. It took me 3 months to get DS fully off bottles and it was hard, but then I had 10 more months of nursing with no problems.

Pump regularly to get your milk to come in. This means like every 2 hours. Your nipples will be sore, so take lots of ibuprofen. Use a hot damp cloth on your breasts before nursing or pumping to help soften any clogs in your ducts. Massage constantly. Lanolin made it worse for me with the pump, so I stopped using that and it helped a bit. The gel pads were great though, get lots of those. Buy a couple of extra pumping kits so you don't need to wash them every time, especially in the middle of the night. Mother's milk tea (traditional medicinals) will also help. I drank this round the clock for several months.

You're doing great. I'm so so happy for you.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Caution on ibuprofen - Mrs. A on Apr 30, 2:34 PM
    1. Oh, that's strange - Laura on Apr 30, 3:06 PM
      1. yup, me too - juliemam on Apr 30, 8:41 PM
        1. What I've been told - Mrs. A on Apr 30, 9:22 PM
        2. Me three... - ZakiaZ on Apr 30, 11:14 PM