Return to Index  

congratulations!

April 30 2012 at 8:39 PM
juliemam  (Login juliemam)

Response to my cup runneth over

lovely to hear about her birth. happy.gif

and yes, nursing is hard hard hard. The colostrum is minimal and that's normal, their tummies are so tiny they get full on 1/2tsp. which is why it takes 3-5 days for milk to come in.
Especially with a c-sec, it can take up to 5 days for milk to finally make an appearance. It's nuts.

What's fun is hearing all the NBs crying on day 2, especially in the night. Poor little things. I remember that night very well. I gave in and gave my DD a very little bit of formula because my nipples were killing me (even prepared with lanolin ointment AND experience, jeez) and after gulping down 1tsp, she slept for a dreamy 3-4hrs. happy.gif
Yep, nursing can be very hard. You do what you can and what is needed happy.gif

If you don't have lanolin yet, get some, it's magic and baby can nurse on it, it's fine and safe. Apply it as soon as she is done nursing, put a nursing pad on and 1-2 hrs later when she wants to nurse again, no need to wash it off.

big hugs
happy.gif
julie

happy.gif
me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Respond to this message