This forum has been set to "read only".
This is a forum that offers support, information, a place to cry or a place to share success. We are not medical professionals and are not responsible for the accuracy or opinions expressed in this forum. Use the information gleaned here at your discretion and risk. It is always best and wisest to consult a medical professional before any course of action is taken. Good luck, and all the best!!
First of all, thank you to everyone for your support. On Sunday night, my DH went out to get dinner and I had a horrible incident of hemorrhaging at home. I will never forget his face when he walked in the bathroom that looked like a crime scene. Instead of going to my OB's hospital, i went to the closest hospital emergency room. The tests revealed I had a short cervix (1.06 cm) and Baby A had lost amniotic fluid and for the first time was measuring smaller than Baby B in measurements and weight; heartbeats were 160 and 153. On Monday, I called my OB who immediately referred me to my maternal fetal medicine doctor and they asked me to go in immediately since she was leaving on vacation. The MFM doctor confirmed the shortened cervix measurement, heartbeats were 143 and 128, still had no explanation for the bleeding episodes and said there was nothing else that could be done except "wait and see." When I asked her to explain her approach, it basically meant to wait and see when I miscarried because the cervix was too short to sustain a pregnancy. I asked about progesterone supplements and was told it would not work. I asked about a cerclage and was told it was too dangerous because of all the bleeding. I asked what would happen if Baby A didn't make it and she said Baby B would quickly follow and the shortened cervix may mean I was having contractions with the heavy cramping I had been having with the bleeding. For all my questions, this doctor kept staring at me to make a decision to agree with her opinion. No other options seemed to be open for dicussion and I was sent home with an appointment in 8 days to "see" the condition of my shrinking cervix. Now, I am irrationally angry...I am looking for a second opinion, reading everything I can get my hands on about cervical conditions and making my own plan of action. I do not understand why I sometimes feel I have to give deferrence and authority to someone in a white coat when I am part of the team. It's not like I can just run and get pregnant again in a few months....which is what I was made to feel with the "wait and see" approach, this is not just information we can use in the next pregnancy....I am still pregnant now!!! My babies have been hanging in for 21 days besides the heavy bleeding for 15 of those days!!! I thank you for listening and appreciate any insight you have.