materniT21 vs verifi & FISH resultsSeptember 1 2012 at 11:29 AM
|BroodyHen (no login)|
i thought i'd post this in case it might be helpful to anyone in the future or interesting to anyone who has been following my story.
as some of you know, i had both the materniT21 and verifi maternal blood test to test for the trisomies. verifi could not test my samples and materniT21 could and found a negative result. i spoke with the genetic counselor at materniT21 who said that there was absolutely nothing abnormal about my sample. my fetal fraction was 9, and the minimum for them to run their test is half that. she said they were just as confident with my result as there are with any other sample. nothing ambiguous about it. she explained that the rate of untestable samples for materniT21 is 1% and that is is 6% for verifi and 4% for ariosa (a third company that offers the test). so perhaps that is the easiest explanation - that is a pretty big spread of 5% of testability of sample. the materniT21 genetic counselor was very gracious and careful not to bash the other companies, admitting that there may be ways each is better than the other. but in my case, i couldn't get the result from verifi. i didn't speak to a genetic counselor at verifi.
my perinatologists office started off using materniT21 but switched to verifi because initially they all only tested for down syndrome and verifi was the first to offer trisomy 13 and 18 testing. but they also expressed concern about the integrity of materniT21 since there apparently was some scandal about them rushing to be first to offer the testing and they fudged results and got busted. i believe they have since had more testing/studies to prove themselves.
anyway, because of the ambiguity of my blood test results, and because ultimately i decided i wanted to know about more than just the 3 trisomies, i opted to get an amnio. my amnio was wednesday and i got the FISH results back (rush results on the trisomies and sex chromosomes) and all is negative and its a boy!
so far so good, the full amnio results should be in by end of next week. then on to the 20 week scan...
thanks for listening and for the support - i know this has been a ridiculous saga!
- Re: materniT21 vs verifi & FISH results - Ajc on Sep 1, 11:54 AM
- Re: materniT21 vs verifi & FISH results - Teresa on Sep 1, 2:34 PM
- Woohoo! - Laura on Sep 1, 5:27 PM
- Wow, that's gr8t. Now just try & relax & enjoy the rest of the pregnancy - Mtoto2 on Sep 1, 10:40 PM
- Yay! - mel on Sep 2, 10:06 AM
- Congrats! - Kim on Sep 2, 10:07 PM
- Q: did you struggle on the decision to do an amnio? - Liz Portand OR on Sep 3, 1:23 PM
- Never mind - I realized you posted about this previously - Liz Portland OR on Sep 4, 9:29 AM
- chalk it up to mommy brain ;) - BroodyHen on Sep 4, 6:06 PM
- Thanks for the response... How... - Liz Portland OR on Sep 5, 10:26 PM
- Re: Thanks for the response... How... - BroodyHen on Sep 10, 4:23 PM
- thanks, all! - BroodyHen on Sep 4, 5:58 PM
- Sorry I'm late... - Erin on Sep 5, 1:39 PM
- great news! - jkl on Sep 6, 12:06 PM
- thanks erin and jkl :) n/t - BroodyHen on Sep 10, 3:59 PM