<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Yeast infection

December 30 2011 at 4:32 PM
anon for this  (no login)

Great, just what I need so late in this pregnancy. I got a cream to use. Did anyone else have this problem? I thought I read it might happen if you take antibotics (maybe I am just imaging this). I did take a zpack for pnemonia over a month ago.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
MargieD
(no login)

I had yeast infection in the breasts AFTER DD was born...

December 30 2011, 4:43 PM 

I am assuming that you mean yeast infection "down there" but it can show up in other places - i.e. in the breast when breastfeeding which then turns up in the LO's bottom and mouth.

I might have had it before DD was born, but never knew or noticed it.

However, I noticed it as within weeks of breastfeeding and it was horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible...very painful...

They gave me some meds that was BF & baby friendly, but it took a long time. Actually - probably didn't go away until after I stopped pumping and got a refill of the meds.

If you can get it rid of it COMPLETELY before your LO is born, DO IT!

Respond to this message   
bigboy
(no login)

Re: Yeast infection

December 31 2011, 8:57 AM 

YIs are pretty common in pregnancy anyways bc there is a lot "going on" down there. and if you are prone to them (and even if you arent sometimes) antibiotics can bring them on. last year i went back and forth between YIs and BV because i had to take antibiotics like every month and a half due to repeated sinus infections.
antibiotics kill the "good" bacteria too, that's why they can bring out a YI.

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

Also had yeast in milk ducts

December 31 2011, 12:35 PM 

blech! apparently, the babies can transfer it from the birth canal the first time they BF; since DS came 6 weeks early I was put on antibiotics during delivery bc they couldn't test for Group B strep yet. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your vag that keep the yeast under control, so that's why you can get them after antibiotics.

OTC monistat should be fine during pg. the only thing that helped me get rid of yeast in the milk was 1) diflucan (oral), and 2) cutting out almost all refined sugar and dairy for 2 weeks.

If you can stand it, eating plain yogurt also helps restore the good bacteria. If you eat flavored, there's usually too much added sugar to be helpful.

Respond to this message   
MargieD
(no login)

FYI - babies and yeast infections

December 31 2011, 1:24 PM 

In case you're thinking about this... if your baby does get yeast infection, it shows up as thrush and/or as diaper rashes. Neither are life threatening... just annoying...

In our case, when I had yeast infection so badly (mine went undiagnosed for weeks - I was told that I needed to "toughen up" my boobies for breastfeeding), DD did not have any symptoms. We took her to the ped to have her put on meds since I was on meds - to keep from transmitting it back and forth.

Good advice about cutting out sugar and dairy. I could not do it. I liked brownies and milk too much! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Yeast infection
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index