<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Carpal Tunnel anyone?

January 10 2012 at 8:28 PM
JulesM  (no login)

So I believe this is what I have developed, most likely because of the position I was holding Rosie while BF. I am waking up with very numb fingers, it gets better during the day but does not go away completely. I don't have any wrist pain, just numbness, pins and needles and some stiffness. I have changed the way I hold her and am relying more on the support pillow. Has anyone else had this? If so, what did you do about it? Wondering if I should see my PCP if it continues.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mrs. A
(no login)

no carpal tunnel. what are you using for BF positioning?

January 10 2012, 10:25 PM 

I have to tell you that what helped me with positioning (once I finally got DD latched) was using the pillow My Brest Friend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pillow. I had started off with the Boppy and the Newborn Support for the Boppy but not good for me. I did the cross cradle position with this pillow and it worked out great. The pillow is so firm that I didn't even have to hold her once I got the hang.

But didn't you have carpal tunnel early on with the PG? Is it the same acting up??

Respond to this message   
JulesM
(no login)

My breast friend

January 10 2012, 11:42 PM 

Thats what I am using too. I was needing to cradle her on it in the beginning but now I am able to position her without hand support. It is a great pillow. I has several friends recommend it.
Good memory About my wrist in the beginning of pregnancy but that was different. That was/is a ganglion cyst which is almost gone since given birth. This is a definite numbnesss and tingling in my fingers.

Respond to this message   
BabyDance
(no login)

Vit B6 should take care of this.

January 10 2012, 10:37 PM 

But watch posture as well, and make sure your arms are supported properly while feeding. Use pillows and make sure your back is supported as well, with small pillows. See the chiropractor, if you have one.

xoxo BD (I'm a chiropractor).

Respond to this message   
JulesM
(no login)

Awesome pointers, thank you

January 10 2012, 11:44 PM 

Just b6 pills? How much? And yes, need to support my back with feeding, I am always leaning forward and my back is aching.

Respond to this message   
BabyDance
(no login)

50 mg a 2-3 times a day is normal dosage.

January 11 2012, 1:45 PM 

Takes a few weeks to kick in. Good luck!

Respond to this message   
JulesM
(no login)

Thank you :-)

January 11 2012, 2:29 PM 

Respond to this message   
Hadas
(no login)

What I think you have has a very long name...

January 10 2012, 11:21 PM 

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/DS00692

I had it when BF my DD. I had to have 1 (maybe 2, can't remember) cortisone shots! I was in agony and when I would wake up at night/in the morning, my hand was totally frozen.

Sorry you're going through this, but the doctor told me it was common in breastfeeding mom's AND older people who hold their little puppies all day (???)

Respond to this message   
JulesM
(no login)

Oh wow. Thank you

January 10 2012, 11:46 PM 

I should probably bring this up with my doctor. ThAnks so much for responding.

Respond to this message   
anonymous
(no login)

I had this too! Not sure this is the OPs issue. There is an easy test for it:

January 11 2012, 10:01 AM 

How the doctors diagnose for deQuervains (AKA "mother's thumb") called the Finklestein test:

Hold out your arm with thumb pointing up like a hitchhiker;
Leaving arm in that position, put thumb inside the fist and hold tight;
Slowly tilt fist (with thumb inside) toward floor but leaving arm still.

If you have deQuervains there will be shocking pain when you do this Finklestein test! A cortisone shot gave me 100% relief within a day or two, no splint or ice or wrap needed.
Not sure this is what the OP has though, since she did not say she had wrist pain or pain at the base of the thumb.

Google "mother's thumb" for info on how deQuervain's affects new moms, mine hit when baby was 4 mo old.

Respond to this message   
Hadas
(no login)

you're right

January 11 2012, 11:20 AM 

It may or may not be this, but it's worth asking. I remember being so excited when they actually gave me a name for it!

Respond to this message   
julesM
(no login)

Thanks

January 11 2012, 12:15 PM 

Looks like that is not what I have. The numbness is just in my fingers and occasionally the palm of my hands. My hands are also swollen, I still can't get my rings off where as the rest of my body does not have any swelling.

Respond to this message   
sch1star
(no login)

Watch your elbows

January 11 2012, 12:29 AM 

It does sound carpalish to me. Watch what you are resting your elbows on while bf, you may be irritating the nerve there, or in your wrist. A support garment (like you could find at a drugstore) may help...don't think it could hurt.

As far as your back pain - I read a common problem w that pillow is wearing it too low. It should ride right up under the breasts. I think the pix don't even look like that! But it should help your back to move it. You could also try a side lying position on the unaffected side if there is one.

I find the LLL forums helpful too, you might get answers there.http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?111-Breastfeeding-Your-Newborn-(0-3-months)

Congrats on your perseverance with BF, it takes work!

Respond to this message   
JulesM
(no login)

Thanks!

January 11 2012, 2:37 AM 

That totally makes sense. I started putting the pillow higher so that I don't have to support the baby but I should start putting it even higher to prevent bending over. I need to apend some time on the LL site. Thanks for the info. Hoping this will become easier soon...

Respond to this message   
Wren
(no login)

This can

January 11 2012, 10:27 AM 

Also happen because of the repetition of picking up and putting down.

Respond to this message   
JulesM
(no login)

Thanks Wren

January 11 2012, 12:22 PM 

I can see why this would happen. I need to start paying more attention to how I am positioning my hands and wrists while doing these repetitive activities.

Respond to this message   
Mtoto2
(Login mtoto2)

I had it's through most of my pregnancy....Was referred

January 12 2012, 3:30 PM 

To a hand doctor who gave me braces to wear especially @ night. Disappeared once baby came

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Carpal Tunnel anyone?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index