<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Update: The waiting game.

June 15 2012 at 9:34 AM
Sara H  (no login)

Hi Ladies,

First, thank you so much for all the wonderful responses below, they were a great help and my meetings and appointments yesterday went much better for it, I feel, since I went in informed. Thank you.

Wow, how I have changed due to this board! A few years ago I would have said: "Well, they will tell me what I need to know and I should go with that."
Now it's:
"I'll educate myself first so I can ask good questions and get more out of the time... and they also know I'm not an idiot." happy.gif

And, I did not learn that lesson in high school why??? happy.gif

Anyway, there are some issues with the diet and my lifestyle but three meals so far and three successful low blood tests. This morning I tried the recommended breakfast, which had more carbs, and I am not so sure, feeling a bit shaky, we'll see what the meter says in an hour. Finger's crossed. I might be like Wells42 and not be able to do any carbs in the morning but I had to try. (I did eat my protein first, so hopefully?) Oh, my whole-grain Cheerios, how I will miss you...

In baby news:

I also had my scans... not so great this time. As of yesterday's scan the baby has not gained as much as we'd like. Baby was in the 54% three weeks ago but we are down to 39%... all the rest of the baby's body is right on track but the belly is 2 weeks behind and not gaining the fat it's supposed to. (Which is caused by the two vessel cord.) So, we have to keep following... but we'd be freaked if baby was gaining too much, too, which as you know is the fear with diabetes. So, just can't win for losing! (When babies doesn't get what they need to from the cord Nature diverts what the baby needs to the most important organs, heart and brain, and other areas start to fall behind. For right now it's belly fat, so that's not too bad, but we have to make sure it does not start to effect his other internal organs. As of yesterday kidneys and all looked good.) Yes, I know 39% is still fine, we just have to watch and make sure this is not a trend since that is the exact fear with 2 vessel cord babies.

They want to watch and wait for three more weeks, so they don't think it's too bad yet, but my OB said they might want to do early c-section if kiddo is starting to get too behind. So, not happy about that, and the weeks of NICU after, but glad they are on top of it. I just wish there was anything, anything at all, I could do to make it better. At least with the diabetes I can DO something, be on top of it, have some control. With the cord issue I am helpless. Very frustrating.

I also worry that, since diabetes makes babies gain weight and the cord issue inhibits weight that by controlling the diabetes I could be making babies growth slower? This did not seem to be an issue to the dr.s but how many cord issues + Diabetes do they get??? I know, new mommie worries, but still...

OK, so there is my vent. I am trying to stay positive and get on with it but this is really got me worried.
Agggg, if this is this bad now how the h#ll I am going to survive teen-ageer-hood!?! happy.gif

Thanks for reading, Ladies!
Sara H

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
juliemam
(Login juliemam)

thanks for the update

June 15 2012, 12:57 PM 

I was thinking about you.

I like how on top of things you sound. happy.gif You are so strong happy.gif Your baby is lucky to have you as a mom. happy.gif

At what week would they do the c-sec? Fingers crossed for you and your sweet pea. happy.gif

I am curious, what was their recommended breakfast? good luck with that sad.gif

love and hugs
julie

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

:-) thank you

June 15 2012, 1:29 PM 

I passed breakfast, too, so we are on a good roll so far... (not that I can eat rolls, hahah!)

Breakfast was:
I table spoon of peanut butter
1 cup of Cheerios with almond milk
(I don't drink cow's milk if possible but am ok with cheese. Weird, right?)

I had a bit of a panic about what to eat my peanut butter on that is NOT a starch, not being a fan of celery, so I was totally at a loss. Could not figure it out so ended up just eating it off a spoon. But, got it down for the protein.

Tomorrow we go for eggs!Yumm!

Don't know what week, we are playing it by ear and go as long as we can, one visit at a time. Next time I go in for an ultra sound is at 32 weeks, so I'd like to make it at least a visit beyond that, which would be 35 weeks... or my shower might involve a trip to the hospital so everyone can meet the kiddo! (Kidding!)

Now we have an appointment of some kind every week, next week is diabetes dr., OB the week after, sono after that... good times, good times...

Now I am just cheesed because my hospital won't let you take the walking tour unless you sign up for the prenatal class... but they are 175$ and 4 weeks and not starting for a while so we might not make it though anyway... or we can take it at another hospital (near my mother as back-up since we are there alot) and do a one day intensive for 50$.
If I don't take the whole course at the hospital then I can only go to the slide show orientation, not the physical tour. Grrr.

They also don't do the full tour for people having c-section. What?

So, we have to get that all figured out, too.

Thank you so much for the support!
Sara H

Respond to this message   
Rebekah
(Login Bestbehavior)

Carrots and peanut butter

June 15 2012, 6:44 PM 

I really like dipping carrots sticks in peanut butter! Don't knock it til you try it!

Glad you are seeing a doctor of sorts each week - those weekly visits will hopefully ease your mind/nerves. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sending best wishes your way!

Respond to this message   
mel
(no login)

what a journey

June 15 2012, 7:00 PM 

Oh my goodness...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you went into the meeting with your doctor well informed, as I'm sure that helps a lot. I'm sorry you are having to deal with it, but the good news is that you are being closely monitored and so is your baby.

There is so much out of our control and it is completely frustrating, but you are doing the best you can with what you have and that is what you have to remind yourself. I'm a control freak, so it is really difficult to keep myself in check about the things I can't control...sometimes I don't do very well and the worry gets the best of me. BUT, you are doing all that you can do, AND you and your baby are being monitored frequently by doctors.

As for the peanut butter...personally, I'm in love (yes, in love!) with a certain almond butter from Trader Joe's and I eat it by the spoonful! (It's dangerous, actually!) I think the spoon is a great mode of delivery!! happy.gif I don't know if oatmeal is something you can eat, but mixing a spoonful in oatmeal is also good. If carbs are out, then I think the spoon works just great!

Sending lots of good thoughts and good baby growth your way! xo

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

How frustrating and scary!

June 15 2012, 11:23 PM 

How far along are you right now? Because if you can work closely with your Dr to make sure you get to 32 wk, that is the point where there's no greater risk for long-term health complications than for a full-term baby. Being a NICU mom is scary (at first) and exhausting but it's also amazing because you get to see just how strong and determined your LO is and how hard they fight to make it.

However, I do think it's worth talking to your Dr about the research done on 2-vessel cord in combo with GD. Maybe it's the reason you have GD in the first place? Your body is trying to keep your sugar levels higher than normal since its not all going to the fetus as it should? It sounds logical, so I don't think you should be treated the same as someone with GD and no other issues.

I don't have any good advice on the diet stuff, but just want to say that you're doing great and know that I'm praying for you both!

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

Thank you all...

June 16 2012, 9:17 AM 

And that is a good thought, Laura. They did not have anything to say about the two things in combo but I will press the issue this week and see what I can find out. I wonder if they even know?

I am currently in my 29th week. They have not asked to see me for a scan again until I am 32 weeks (in three weeks) so unless something changes we should make that goal at least. I see other Dr.s before that but not for a scan, just for check-ups and diet stuff.

Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it! happy.gif

Now I am in a bit of a frenzy to get as much baby-room stuff done as possible in case life gets really nutty!

Hugs to all and thank you,
Sara H

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

Sorry Sara...

June 16 2012, 2:28 PM 

I don't know much about the 2 vessel cord issue, but I'm sure dealing with that and now the GD is pretty stressful. I'm sure it will all be worth it when the little guy/gal arrives though! Sending positive thoughts for a good report in a few weeks!

Respond to this message   
BroodyHen
(no login)

Re: Update: The waiting game.

June 16 2012, 7:48 PM 

hi sara.
i'm new to the board, but i've read many of your posts on the high fsh board and this one. read enough to know you are so kind and strong and on it. try to find a way to relax knowing that you are doing everything you can do and that everything is going to be alright. it just sucks to have all this extra stress, i'm so sorry. but the finish line is so sweet, all will soon be forgotten. hang in there!

my 3.5 year old calls a spoonful of peanut butter a "peanut butter popsicle". what a treat!

Respond to this message   
JulesM
(no login)

You are doing great

June 17 2012, 8:36 AM 

And you have a great proactive attitude towards these issues! I can imagine how stressful it must be at times but I know little bean is going to be just fine. Want to write more but running out the door.... will try to email you this week. Happy Father-to-be Day to Mr. S.H!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index