<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Worth X-posting here - Waiting until at least 39 weeks to give birth

July 8 2012 at 3:32 PM
  (Login 39andTTC)

This was posted on the DE Pink board and it's worth posting here as well.

Keep the bun in the oven as long as possible happy.gif

http://www.network54.com/Forum/247611/message/1341759941/March+of+Dimes+campaign

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alli
(Login AC2009)

I'm wondering how many of these delays are caused by OB's delivering early

July 9 2012, 11:02 AM 

I would guess the delays later are often from parents who are smoking, doing drugs, drinking, etc and causing their own preterm labor. These kids are therefore growing up in a brain delay inducing environment. The major city in my state has the infant mortality rate of Haiti because of stupid choices during pregnancy, no prenatal care, and preterm babies being born because of a mother's addiction.

The women who request to be delivered before 39 weeks are assuming the risk and not making a wise decision.

Studies like this kind of annoy me because it makes women (who made good choices) feel guilty for things they cannot control like pre-eclampsia, cervix problems, and other health reasons requiring an early delivery.

This message has been edited by AC2009 on Jul 9, 2012 11:06 AM

Respond to this message   
jkl
(no login)

I think the problem is that

July 9 2012, 1:05 PM 

37-38 weeks is fine, but if people are off on their due dates it could be more like 35-36 weeks, and that's where you get into trouble. So waiting until 39 weeks ensures even if the dates are off the baby will be full term.

jkl

Respond to this message   
MargieD
(no login)

DD was born at exactly 42 weeks and I got a lot of flak for not inducing earlier....

July 9 2012, 1:34 PM 

I had a lot of people harassing me for not inducing at/around 40 weeks.

I had a healthy/easy pregnancy. I even walked 5 miles the day before I was induced. Was not even dilated when induced.

Yes - waiting (especially that long) was a pain...and even put a glitch on my schedule to go back to work (I work in a school and DD was supposed to be born in the middle of summer)... but I have no regrets...

I am not posting to brag, but I also wanted to mention that going over 40 weeks was perceived as a negative thing, too. Seems that society has a preconceived notion of when is the right time to deliver.

Respond to this message   
Alli
(no login)

We're judged no matter what!

July 9 2012, 2:14 PM 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't! I hate mom-petition. I bet you were dying by the end wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Sarah in Seattle
(Login SeattleSarah)

delivered both of mine at 38 weeks....

July 9 2012, 1:59 PM 

Until you've experienced a tortuous, drawn-out preterm labor, it's hard to understand. I experienced preterm labor with both of my high-FSH miracles babes - with my DS, I was on bedrest for 5 weeks, with DD, 3-1/2 months (with a 15-month-old running around). With both, I was contracting every 6 minutes, despite being on 3 medications to control labor. The meds kept the labor from progressing, but man I was miserable. It's called an irritable uterus and it was really irritating. I begged my doc to deliver me as soon as possible because I felt like I was going crazy. She agreed and both kiddos were born at exactly 38 weeks. We had to do amnio with each on the morning of the delivery to make sure their lung function was OK (it was). At birth, DS was fine. With DD, she was tiny and could not maintain her body temp and had to spend two days in and out of a warming table to keep her temps up. I believe she could have used another week to properly cook fully before being delivered. She ended up being fine, but I had some mommy guilt over that.

Just chiming in on this topic because it's easy to pass judgment on others for choosing to deliver a little early but the fact is, respectable OBs don't deliver anyone early just because someone's tired of being pregnant. You just have to weigh all the factors to make the best decision for your particular situation. I guess my point is that in certain situations, it can make sense to deliver at 38 weeks.

Respond to this message   
jkl
(no login)

studies have shown that on average

July 9 2012, 3:53 PM 

babies (and moms) do best when they are delivered close to the 39/40 wk mark. which is not to say there aren't lots of non-complicated births before or after, but 39/40 is the best.

My mom went several weeks past her due date for my youngest brother and ended up needing a c-section, which she hadn't needed for 3 previous pregnancies. Might have happened anyway but maybe she could have avoided it if she delivered on time.

Something to aim for but obviously there are special circumstances (as Sarah pointed out).

jkl

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Worth X-posting here - Waiting until at least 39 weeks to give birth
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index