<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

how did it go, erin?

July 12 2012 at 3:03 PM
BroodyHen  (no login)

just thinking of you today and hope your scan went well!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Erin
(no login)

It went well, thanks Broodyhen!

July 12 2012, 4:29 PM 

What a great memory you have! I can barely remember my own appointments! wink.gif The scan went well- NT measurement was counted as 2.2 (that was the highest of several measurements she took, but I guess they count the highest one). The tech and my OB were very happy with this, especially given that I was measuring a couple days ahead at 13wks0days (they said that the normal measurement depends a bit on how far along you are- in this case, the OB said up to 2.8 would have been fine). They did see the nasal bone and there were all 4 limbs so that was good! Although, there was a moment at the beginning of the scan where I started internally freaking out b/c I saw 2 arms, but no legs! It turned out it was just how the baby and the probe were positioned, and I breathed a sigh of relief when 2 little legs and feet came into view. Funny the things you can freak out about! The baby was making little motions with it's shoulders like Bill Cosby did in the Jello commercials (I don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about...) but my husband asked if it was normal for the baby to "spasm" like that (the answer from the tech was yes, very normal happy.gif). We also got a preliminary gender prediction (b/c I asked). I don't think we'll tell anyone yet since it's really preliminary (or maybe we will, who knows...) but it was exciting, if not still VERY surreal. I went to Goodwill today to look for my first baby clothing item, but came home empty-handed. I'm kind-of hoping to make it feel more real, you know?

In any case, thanks for asking! I think I read below that you have your scan/bloodwork coming up in the next couple weeks? Wishing you lots of luck and thinking positive thoughts for you. Please let us know how it all goes!

Respond to this message   
Teresa
(no login)

Awesome!

July 12 2012, 5:03 PM 

I'm so glad that it went well for you and that they felt good about your measurement! That's a relief! Sorry about your freak out moment with the LO's feet, but I'm so glad you realized the feet were indeed there! The things that we freak about eh ? wink.gif I hope your blood work comes back quickly and perfect and all will continue to go so well for you!

And how exciting to find out the sex, hmm...sounds like a boy to me wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

Thanks Teresa!

July 12 2012, 8:14 PM 

The freak out about the legs was particularly ridiculous given that I had just seen the little sausage link-like legs a few weeks before so I knew they were there. I had this flash-back to an episode of Grey's Anatomy where Dr. McSteamy's daughter's cord had wrapped around her babies legs in utero. I think this goes to show that I should really watch less television... wink.gif Thanks so much and glad it sounds like things are feeling a little better today! I have a lot of hope for good things for you T!

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

Re: Thanks Teresa!

July 13 2012, 12:42 AM 

What about the baby with no brain in private practice? Hahaha...I'm like wait, that can't actually happen, right?

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

I'm more of a Grey's fan...

July 13 2012, 1:17 PM 

But I've gotten more than my fair share of scary stories by going to school with and staying friends with a bunch of midwives. The really scary stuff seems to be with women who didn't get any u/s's during pregnancy, so I'll just hope that they would have noticed if the baby didn't have a brain... Fun stuff on tv these days... wink.gif

Respond to this message   
mel
(no login)

Glad it went well, Erin!

July 12 2012, 5:09 PM 

That is great and so exciting!!!

The tech at my NT scan (at 11w) also gave a gender prediction. She said she was 85% at the time, but I wasn't convinced b/c it was so early. Well, she was right and it was confirmed at the anatomy scan. Either way, that is so exciting for you and your husband. As surreal as it is (and it is!)...enjoy this good scan!

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

Thanks Mel!

July 12 2012, 8:17 PM 

The tech said that she's usually pretty good at these predictions, but said not to go get a bunch of gender-specific clothing just yet. I'm not a huge blue or pink person anyways (I prefer gender-neutral green) so we should be okay happy.gif. Cool to hear that your prediction turned out to be true! Hope you're doing well and thanks again!

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

What a relief!

July 12 2012, 5:30 PM 

And how fun to maybe know the gender already! Once you know for sure, it's so much more real. Have fun planning a nursery scheme!

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

Thanks Laura!

July 12 2012, 8:20 PM 

I'm still trying to figure out what to do nursery-wise. We plan to get a co-sleeper, so I'm not sure if you still do a nursery if the baby sleeps in your room? We've got a good room for it near ours, but I just don't know how this stuff works yet... Hopefully we can figure it out in the next 6mos or so... wink.gif Thanks again and hope you're doing well! Do you have a scan coming up? Good luck if so!

Respond to this message   
Laura
(no login)

It depends on how much sleep you want

July 13 2012, 12:52 AM 

Cosleepers are great until baby gets a routine, since they're just right there. But once they start sleeping longer stretches at night, I liked having a separate room so that DH and I could trade off feedings. But I also know women who still cosleep with toddlers...whatever works. I would think you'd still want a nursery to store all their crap and have a changing table and diaper pail, no? It's funny, our first is a boy so we have mostly blue stuff already, so if it's a girl, she's going to see a whole lot of blue!

My NT scan is next Wednesday. I debated doing it at all since it can be stressful and the results wouldn't change anything, but I found out it is covered by insurance, so why not take a peek at those cute feet? happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

I don't blame you for thinking about skipping it...

July 13 2012, 1:33 PM 

I'm not sure that the scan helped me much, and I still don't even know the risk assessment since I'm waiting on the bloodwork. Different offices seem to put different spins on it's importance and risk of false positive. It was good to see the feet (happy.gif) but honestly, the quality of the image didn't seem to be as good as in the 9wk5day one, I think b/c they did most of it externally. I'm not sure if most people get significantly grainier images externally or if it's because of all my scar tissue. In any case, you should do whatever you'll be most comfortable with.

As for sleep, I've been an insomniac for the better part of 15yrs or so, so I'm used to lack of sleep wink.gif. You did make me think about how long we'll have the baby in the room for though... So much to think about and I just don't have a clue. I guess that's why we get a 9mos gestation- to figure this stuff out??

BTW, if you have a girl, I'm sure she will look adorable in all her blue hand-me-downs. I actually posted a couple pics to facebook the other day that I found of my brother when he was a baby wearing my pink hand-me-downs! Maybe not quite as cute, but when money's tight I guess you do what you've got to do... happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Alli
(Login AC2009)

They're probably right on the gender

July 12 2012, 8:08 PM 

My tech knew at 14 weeks. happy.gif He said dont go out and buy thousands of dollars of clothes, but he was about 98% sure.

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

Did your tech guess the gender of all 3 correctly?!

July 12 2012, 8:22 PM 

If so, I feel like that deserves some sort of prize! wink.gif It's funny b/c the gender the tech predicted is not the one I was thinking it was, although I've definitely gone back and forth a bit. It will be interesting to see if she was right!

Respond to this message   
Alli
(no login)

He did!

July 13 2012, 12:33 PM 

He's been doing US for 20 years or something and immediately showed us the "parts" at 14 weeks. DH was getting paler and paler with each girl happy.gif Finally he heard boy and was ok.

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

I should note...

July 12 2012, 8:25 PM 

I looked into it further, and I misremembered something... Bill Cosby's shoulder gyrations I was referring to were not in the Jello pudding commercials but instead in a couple seasons of Cosby Show intros. Again, more evidence that I should watch less tv... Thought I should clarify this vitally important detail. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
BroodyHen
(no login)

funny

July 13 2012, 12:05 AM 

thanks for the cosby clarification. it is critical to cover the important issues wink.gif
so glad your results are so great! hooray!

Respond to this message   
Erin
(no login)

I'm a big fan of accuracy... ;)

July 13 2012, 1:36 PM 

I think I saw buried below that you took the MaterniT21 test? I'll be hoping for good news for you. The ratio numbers do feel daunting at times, but when you say 96% chance of a positive outcome it sounds pretty great! What I wouldn't have done for a 96% chance of success when Dr. Sch.o olcraft at C.CRM gave me a 10-15% chance of conceiving! Ha! wink.gif Sending good vibes and hoping for good things for you and your baby.

Respond to this message   
BroodyHen
(no login)

Re: I'm a big fan of accuracy... ;)

July 19 2012, 11:49 AM 

yes, the odds sound so different depending on the context!

thanks for asking, i just gave blood for the materniT21 test yesterday. now, the dreaded 2WW...
i'm hoping to post happy results soon!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - how did it go, erin?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index