<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

sinus infection :( - which antibiotics are "safe"?

July 30 2012 at 9:18 AM
smrc  (no login)

I am prone to sinus infections and with all the nose stuffiness I have had during this pg, have developed one over the weekend. sad.gif My regular doctor is away but I have a call into my OB. Has anyone taken antibiotics during pg (for a sinus infection?) and know which ones are safe? I have Amoxycillin on hand. I didn't want to resort to antibiotics (and tried to sleep it off all weekend with just some tylenol) but don't appear to have any choice at this point. TIA. SMRC

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sara H
(no login)

WAIT FOR DR.!

July 30 2012, 9:37 AM 

Yes, there are some you can take but they will give you specific ones for specific things. I had a UTI and they have me one just for that specifically, that targeted the bladder, so has less effect on baby.

They also might have you wait a day or two to make SURE it's an infection and that you really need the antibiotics.

However:
Don't take the Amoxycillin. I am not sure it's on the OK list, wait to see what they give you! You want to be super sure and Amoxycillin might be more than you need (or not specific enough so more than your baby needs.)

Feel better and good luck!
Hugs,
Sara H

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

good advice

July 30 2012, 10:41 AM 

I have been eyeing my Amoxycillin bottle to end my suffering! Z-PACK is what my OB recommended. Thanks for making me hold off! SMRC

Respond to this message   
Alli
(no login)

You could try the Neti Pot

July 30 2012, 10:31 AM 

Works well for DH and MIL. I feel like I'm being water boarded, but I'm in the minority according to everyone I ask. DH works with ENT's and they recommend. Make sure you use distilled or boiled and cooled water if you do try it.

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

I did try

July 30 2012, 10:40 AM 

unfortunately did not work, even though they can be very effective. Thanks for suggesting.

Respond to this message   
Alli
(no login)

I understand

July 30 2012, 1:27 PM 

It doesn't work for me. Hopefully the dr will set you up!

Respond to this message   
Sara H
(no login)

Oddly, they GIVE me sinus infections!

July 30 2012, 7:29 PM 

I have tried them a couple of time, wanting them to work, and each time I got a sinus, though usually I don't! So, I am with you!

Feel better and Mrs. A's advice is such a good reminder, too! I had forgotten that it changes per trimester and baby size! happy.gif

Hugs,
Sara H

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

that is funny

July 30 2012, 10:11 PM 

about the nettie pot's effect on you (maybe it just irritates your sinuses/makes them swell??) and I'm so glad that you posted this morning telling me to hold off - I was so desperate for relief, I might not have. Thanks again and the z-pack does seem to be working. Wish I didnt have to take them but it was unf necessary. Thanks again! SMRC

Respond to this message   
Mrs. A
(no login)

Chiming in re: meds in general

July 30 2012, 5:25 PM 

I found out that it's not just a matter of what meds are safe during pregnancy but what trimester you're in. What may be ok in one semester may not be ok in another. So always check.

(I'd sent you an email a couple months ago re: Doppler)

Respond to this message   
smrc
(no login)

I didn't know this

July 31 2012, 11:01 PM 

and even more relieved now that I waited. Thanks for filling me in on this - and your email - on it right now! (with even more thanks) SMRC

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - sinus infection :( - which antibiotics are "safe"?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index