<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Well guys (and gals)...

April 13 2006 at 5:53 AM

AlbertoS  (Login Alberto_S)

...I did not want to stir anyone in any direction when I asked the question, but it appears that we all share the same feelings, and worries!

I too believe that these days DR designs are getting cross-pollinated more and more by GG's DNA. After all, though they operate two separate brands with their own identities, the teams and in many respects one and the same, and this - I speculate - is starting to show. Especially as my undersating is that much of the team in place right now is actually of GG extraction.

I long for the days of those beautiful ruthenium and silver dials, which were so typical of the brand's early days.

Though I understand DR's rationale of wanting to make the brand more dynamic and appeal to a larger segment of consumers, I wish they would not simply cast aside the traditional look of the brand, and keep it alive each year in one or two models. They did this for a while, but in the past couple of years they seem to have mioved away from it entirely...

Could you imagine how an Athys would look, for exemple, with a "traditional" two-level Roth dial?

http://www.tp178.com/ag/Alberto%20signature.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dje
(Login Dje-CC)
AP Discussion Group

Hi Alberto...

April 14 2006, 5:13 AM 

I don't even want to think about it!

I love "vintage" Daniel Roth's designs (and his own current work).

I too have seen some recent models and really liked the quality.

But in terms of design my only reaction is "why"!

I can't be the target so I guess I can't understand.

Respond to this message   
J_Warden
(Login jawarden)

I agree

April 14 2006, 11:23 AM 

Hi Alberto, and thank you so much for all these wonderful pictures of the new models!

I agree that the DR designs are morphing into GG territory, what with the flashy colors and punchy graphic treatments on the dials. I don't think it's a good fit for this case shape, which has so much traditional Daniel Roth DNA left in it (for better or worse, depending on your point of view).

The case shape reminds the long time aficionados of the relatively conservative designs of DR's past, but the new bold designs of the dials are not compatible with that memory. This is of course not an issue for new DR customers, who perhaps have never seen an old DR wristwatch.

Still, perhaps a clean break, with an entirely new case shape is in order? Something that is not DR pill-shaped, but also not GG round, or GG octagonal. A shape that matches the new direction of the brand.

Best regards,

Jeff

Respond to this message   

Geo
(Login PAM36)

I cannot agree more

April 15 2006, 11:59 PM 

Thye current collection looks like designers watches.
But I have the same sad feelings about Gerald Genta.
Just an example in the fashion world;
When famous designer Karl Lagerfeld became responsible for the design of the collection of Channel,
everything he produced was stunning and still a 100% Channel.
What I want to say is that one has to be a very good designer to be able to work
with the heritage of a company.
I am afraid that the designers of DR and GG are too much pushing their own style.
Geo

Respond to this message   
stultus77
(Login stultus77)
AP Discussion Group

Re: It would be great if DR managed to balance

April 16 2006, 11:06 PM 

...two lines, sports and "classic", as older brands such as AP and Breguet have done quite succesfully. This way they can capture a younger, non-traditional clienele without losing those who prefer more low-key pieces.

Many other established makers seem to be going through a similar identity crisis (or at least from the view of like-minded Purists), including JLC. As they make more and more Compressors and "sporty" Master series watches, I and perhaps some others would argue that they are moving away from another (albeit likely considerably smaller) segment of the market. Roger Dubuis and Zenith are brands that seem to have decided to scrap their more traditional designs.

- Daniel

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page