<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Help Identifying My DR

September 29 2006 at 2:15 AM
Hamkal  (no login)

Hello all,

I recieved a Daniel Roth watch as a wedding present from a good friend in 1992 and though i am an avid watch collector, i never really did the research on this watch. I am hoping someone on this forum will be able to shed some light on the matter.

The watch itself is a straight up dial - no complications no date. Classic DR dial with Roman Numerals on an elevated circle plate. The Dial itself is a shimmering mesh like surface that is quite beautiful in light.

The watch is Platinum and very thin, im not sure if its an auto or a manual wind. If i had to guess id say manual.

One last distinguishing feature. Stretching from about 7 oclock to 5 oclock is the following " Numero 9 " and it seems as if its been stenciled into the surface of the dial due to the mesh like nature of the dial material.

On black croco strap with platinum buckle.

Thanks again for any help.

Hamkal

Ps if i was able to post a pic i would unfortunatley im not familiar with how to do so.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

AlbertoS
(Login Alberto_S)

Hello Hamkal...

September 29 2006, 4:00 AM 

...does your watch look like this one:

Otherwise, can you tell me what the differences are?

Best,

http://www.tp178.com/ag/Alberto%20signature.jpg

Respond to this message   
Hamkal
(no login)

Similar

September 29 2006, 5:32 AM 

Hi Alberto,

Firstly thanks for the reply. Yes my watch is strikingly similar with the following differences.

1) Does not have Daniel Roth script over 12 oclock or anywhere else on dial.
2) Has the same roman numeral dial as in the picture.
3) The face / dial material is different from whats pictured i believe. more mesh like and shimmers under light source.

otherwise its very similar - and the Numero 9 script resides under the hour dial between 7 and 5 oclock.

Thanks again for your help

Hamkal

Respond to this message   
hamkal
(no login)

Re: Similar

September 29 2006, 8:14 AM 

i was mistaken about the daniel roth script . it does carry the name as in your pic tho smaller font.

hamkal

Respond to this message   
Hamkal
(no login)

and automatic confirmed today (nt)

September 29 2006, 5:04 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

AlbertoS
(Login Alberto_S)

Ok, very well, and if you look at it from the side, how thick is it overall? (nt)

September 30 2006, 4:12 AM 

http://www.tp178.com/ag/Alberto%20signature.jpg

Respond to this message   
Hamkal
(no login)

Ultra thin would be the best way to charachterize..

September 30 2006, 5:20 AM 

The watch is so thin i didnt think it was an automatic. But in fact it is.

Hamkal

Respond to this message   

AlbertoS
(Login Alberto_S)

Then it sounds like it IS the Ultrathin model...

October 1 2006, 2:12 AM 

...which, in WG, had a retail price of about 17,000-18,000€.

The watch houses a very nice ultrathin Lemania (I believe) movement with a slightly off-center rotor. The same mopvement can also be found in some Breguet watches (once again, if memory serves).

It's a beautiful watch - one of my favourite Roths. If you look at the dial sideways, you will see how, to save space and keep the watch as thin as possible, the hour hand revolves in the space left open by the thickness of the silver hour circle! Cheers,
Alberto

P.S. No signature, as this is my first layman's post!!!

This message has been edited by Alberto_S on Oct 1, 2006 2:13 AM

Respond to this message   
Hamkal
(no login)

Thanks so much !

October 1 2006, 2:29 PM 

Thanks for your help sir,

You're right, while the minute hand revolves over the center hour dial, the hour hand seems to have the same height as the hour dial and revolves within it... seemingly almost touching the edge.

Which brings me to my final question, as i posted earlier this watch has printed on the dial at the bottom " Numero 9 " . Do you have any idea how many were made in total in platinum?

Thanks again.

Hamkal

Respond to this message   

AlbertoS
(Login Alberto_S)

No, sorry...

October 2 2006, 12:52 AM 

....but few watches of each model were produced at the time by Roth, so I would not expect that number to be huge.

Respond to this message   
Jacky
(Login EuJax)
PP Discussion Group

Nice watch you got there. Cheers. nt

October 2 2006, 4:52 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page