Tiny Tim

by David Logue

Not that I'm a big Tiny Tim fan, but I have to admire a guy who helped put 1920s music back into the general mainstream in the 1960s.

One day I was puttering around the house and heard the strains of "Living in the Sunlight" coming from the TV where my kids were watching a Spongebob Squarepants.

Now I've been familiar with Bing's version of the song for years but this was Tiny Tim singing it.

The next time I happened to be listening to Bing's version my 8 year old daughter came in and said "Hey! It's the song from Spongebob!"

On a side note, she has recently become quite interested in the 1920s due to the popular Amercian Girl dolls. For those who aren't familiar, these are dolls created to represent a certain time period so that kids can be familiar with Amercan history. While they have one representing the Victorian era, 1930s, 1940s and more recent periods, they do not have one for the 1920s and my daughter is quite miffed.

I burned a CD for her including lots of great 1920s songs, (including Bix, of course). She particularly likes Annette Hanshaw.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009, 2:26 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home